Dilema - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-22-2002, 08:45 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Dilema

Donna and I will be leaving Christmas day for Mesquite, NV. The weather forcast for northern AZ and NM indicates night time temps in the low 20s.

I don't want to do the full winterizing routine, but I wonder....
I believe the water lines inside we can keep warm enough at night, and day time temps may be above freezing. My biggest concern is the water storage tank. Will it absorb enough heat to keep from freezing? Is the volume of water enough to slow freezing? Will the size and wall thickness of the gray water tank protect it from damage?

I could use some advice from you cold weather experts.

Leslie

Legacy Posts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2002, 06:26 AM   #2

winter travel

Leslie, do you go anywhere but Mesquite?
I think one of our best winter campers is Charles, but I'm sure many others do camp in the winter, too. I just did a search using that search button upper right. and found three good threads on winterizing.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/read.php...432&page=1#2677
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/read.php...D=49&page=1#240
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/read.php?TID=578

I didn't search for winter camping or things like that but you could try it. just to give you something to read until you get some answers here. you might find all you need in those, but if not, just ask them again. they are probably camping as a winter storm is moving through. :winter I think all winter campers have frozen logic, but it's their logic. :o I'm staying by the fire. You enjoy your trip and take pictures for us to see. :wave

Old 12-23-2002, 07:34 AM   #3

Hi Les!

Hi Les! Good to see you here again!

Hey, I don't think you have anything to worry about ... given what you describe.

Your fresh water tank (white) and black tank are inside your Casita. And you'll be pulling (moving) water from the white tank, while flushing body-temperature-fluid into the toilet ... as well as sloshing stuff around while moving down the road.

Moving water is harder to freeze. (That's why, up here, when it gets -10 or -20 F (-23 to -28 C), many folks let a slight trickle of water run from faucets in our homes, to keep the pipes from freezing. I'm not advocating you let a constant stream flow ... but as long as you use your system occasionally ...)

I've never worried about the gray water tank freezing ... because it's not under pressure ... and as long as the gray tank isn't completely full ... any freezing will have room to expand towards the top of the tank. Have you ever frozen a two-liter bottle of water? As long as you don't fill the bottle completely full, the bottle of ice pretty much holds its shape.

Take a hair dryer with you .... to occasionally warm up a dump valve if need be. Also, condensation or light rain/snow might freeze the door gasket to the side of the trailer (make sure you wax the frame and wd40 the gasket before you leave!).

Old 12-23-2002, 07:59 AM   #4

Thanks

Thanks, Charles, Thomas and Janifer,

I would have never thought about the door freezing shut!!!! Will try to get to that task. We are having rain here today, with more forecast, ending sometime early Christmas day. May have to include door work on the final check list before departing.

We plan on making the Grand Canyon a stop along the way. I've never seen it.

Merry Christmas to all.

Leslie and Donna

Old 12-23-2002, 08:13 AM   #5

No problem Les!

>>door freezing

It's no problem, Les.

If it happens, it's a simple task to thaw it with a hair dryer from inside the trailer.

Have a safe trip!

Wish I was going with you!

I always feel safer, hearing your assurances on the CB!

Old 12-23-2002, 04:28 PM   #6

Just heard on the radio I-40 is shutdown...

from Flagstaff east into New Mexico

Old 12-23-2002, 05:06 PM   #7

Shut Down

Oh, boy!

Thanks for the news Tom (and others who have responded in direct email). We are not leaving until Christmas morning and are hoping that most of the bad stuff will be past. What do you "locals" hear?

Leslie

Old 12-23-2002, 06:33 PM   #8

:wave Thanks Leslie,

I had similar questions and hadn’t got around to asking yet.

Old 12-23-2002, 07:41 PM   #9

Leslie H,

I'd recommend coming out I-20 to I-10 west of Pecos. Follow I-10 to Phoenix then take I-17 up to Flagstaff then up to the canyon.

I-40 is very unpredictable this time of year because of ice and snow from Gallup to Flagstaff. It was closed for several hours this morning. I-40 also has more truck traffic than most other Interstates.

The weather is clearing and warming on Thursday, so you should be OK. Enjoy your trip.

Old 12-23-2002, 08:11 PM   #10

Thanks

Thanks, Morgan,

I'll check my maps and see how the mileage runs going that way. All of my planning so far has made I-40 the route.

Leslie

Old 12-23-2002, 08:12 PM   #11

Bill, these weather forecasts might help.

http://www.weatherunderground.com/cgi-bin/...=flagstaff%2Caz

http://www.weatherunderground.com/cgi-bin/...ry=grand+canyon

http://www.weatherunderground.com/cgi-bin/...=Mesquite%2C+nv

Old 12-23-2002, 08:21 PM   #12

Mesquite Travel

Les and Donna
If you find yourselves in or around Phoenix over the holidays, the latch key is out.:wave

Old 12-24-2002, 08:12 AM   #13

You Two?

Bill and Darline,

We thought you two might be coming up to Mesquite for New Year's Eve. It would be good to see you again.

If we get into snow trouble and end up in Phoenix, we'll call!!!

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

Les and Donna

Old 12-24-2002, 12:17 PM   #14

The expression is originally "The latch string is out".

Comes from the really old log cabin days when the door was "locked" from inside by dropping a wooden bar into a jamb slot to keep the critters out. When you left, or if you wanted folks to enter while you were home, you fed a string (tied to the door over the bar) under the bar and out a crack or hole to the outside. Pulling on the string raised the bar so you could drop it into the slot when leaving or so you could open the door when returning.

Pete and Rats

Old 12-24-2002, 12:26 PM   #15

Locking Latches

Quote:
Orginally posted by Pete Dumbleton

The expression is originally "The latch string is out".
But times change Pete,

Eventually most latches were moved by levers and the levers got locks. The latch key used to be tied to the old latch string and secreted around the doorsill or threshold. Same thought different era.

Old 12-24-2002, 12:38 PM   #16

Morgan is correct...

I-20 to I-10 to I-17 is probably the best route. I-20 thru
West Texas can be very dangerous if a storm hits the area.
BTW, here in Phoenix, temps are running 15 degrees below
normal, with Prescot in the mid 20s and Flagtaff in the mid
20s.

Old 12-26-2002, 06:29 PM   #17

Latch key or string

Thanks Benita and Pete, what I really meant was, "Les and Donna if you find yourselves in Phoenix, we have a warm bed for you." Sorry we can't join you in Mesquite.:party :party

Old 01-08-2003, 04:23 PM   #18

Latch keys and strings

Pete's right about the old-time usage. Today in rural Ireland the saying "the latch-key is out!" is very real. If you come to a friend's house and the key is in the latch, the protocol is that you go in and shout "Hello!" Saves bothering them to come to the door. This is the universal procedure. If the latch key is not out and you know they're there, then they probably want some privacy. If they're away, but you're desperate for tea or sumpin', then the key is no doubt under the matt or on the window sill right next to the door!