Dinette Table - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-04-2015, 11:22 AM   #1

Name: Ralph
Trailer: SCAMP 13
Kentucky
Dinette Table

We have a Scamp Standard 13... I am looking for ideas on how best to leave the dinette table "UP" during travel. Scamp folks cautioned us to travel with the table stored in the bed configuration for fear of it bouncing out of the wall brackets.
Our travels include stopping in interesting places and eating our meals or just sitting to enjoy the break... and we would like to not have to keep putting the table up and down for each stop as we travel.
I guess we are looking for ways to secure the table from bouncing and to keep it from escaping the wall brackets as we travel.
Thanks
Ralph
ralphieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 01:17 PM   #2
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Might post a pic so us non-Scamp owners might help. My first thought is footman loops on the benches and a bungee cord or strap across the top of the table to keep it down.

Stainless Steel Footman Loop

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 02:30 PM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Personally, I think popping out of the wall bracket is only one of the possible consequences. I think, over time, the banging about could strip out the bracket attachment to the wall, and I'm not sure the Scamp leg hardware is up to the challenge, either.

If you are determined to do this, you could keep the tabs firmly anchored in the brackets by drilling and running a thumb screw though bracket and tab. You could also screw a tight-fitting rubber chair foot to the floor and pop the table leg into that to keep it from bouncing around.

The high-end solution would be a hydraulic pedestal mount (photo courtesy of Paul "grimjed" and posted here):
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pedestal Mount.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	198.3 KB
ID:	90994
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 04:44 PM   #4

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Interesting. I've never worried about whether the table is in the bed position or the table position. For the past 10 years it's not been a concern or a problem.
Old 12-04-2015, 05:13 PM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Dinette Table

Byron, perhaps I am being overly conservative. When I bought my trailer used, the tabs on the table were bent and slightly loose and didn't fit that tightly in the brackets, and I know the PO did a fair amount of travel on forest service roads in our area. I assumed he had been in the habit of driving around with the table up, so I have always lowered mine for towing. Good to know it hasn't been a problem for you.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 06:14 PM   #6

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Jon, the tabs don't fit "tight" into holding brackets, I don't think they ever did. It certainly doesn't hurt to lower the table for traveling, however I've often wondered which is worse the bouncing in the brackets or bouncing around on bench lips. Does the bouncing in the down position hurt the mechanism that's attached to back wall, or in up position does damage that mechanism?

Not all things coming out of Scamp are the best way to go. They put out a video a few years ago about leveling the trailer using only the rear stabilizers. Several people bought their method only to have troubles later. One would think that the manufacturer would know, but that's not always the case.

Any way, like I said keeping the table down probably works ok, and it's really not that difficult to move table to bed or bed to table.

Happy camping, we'll be heading for LA shortly going through AZ both going down and coming back. Don't know where we'll be stopping in AZ maybe Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument.