Dis-colored tire cover - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-07-2006, 08:01 AM   #1

Trailer: X-treme Lite 160

Click image for larger version

Name:	outside_1.JPG
Views:	76
Size:	181.4 KB
ID:	2788
I JUST COMPLETED MY TOTAL RESTORATION OF MY 1986 13 SCAMP! I purchased a new spare tire from Northern Tool and a new cover from Scamp. It appears that after only a few days while setting in the garage that the tire and the cover have had a chemical reaction and stained the cover from the inside. I tried to clean the brown dirty looking stain but it appears to be "burnt" into the cover. Has anyone ever experienced this? I have approx. 200 pictures of my restoration, what would be the best way to share them on the forum? I restore Scamps alot better than I use a computer.

Thanks,

Gary Little
Gary Little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 08:09 AM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Gary, I've read where other folks have had the same problem with the cover discoloration as you're experiencing. A couple of fixes that has been mentioned:

Place a piece of plastic over the tire...something as thin as a dry cleaning plastic bag. Reinstall cover.

Use two covers.

I like the first suggestion....free and easy.

Please post some pictures on FiberglassRV. For the bulk of the pics you've taken, you may wish to post to a site like PhotoBucket. Then provide a link here on FiberglassRV.

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 08:10 AM   #3

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Dlx / 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4
wow.. very nice!! Looks like you really did a great job! You can probably show pics by uploading to a on line album .. like Photobucket, Image station or any of those free on line albums. I am sure all of us would love to see your newly remodeld egg..
Hmm the tire cover.. it could be just the black stuff they make the tires out of..?? Dont know on that one..
Christi V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 02:18 PM   #4

Trailer: Bigfoot 16 ft
Gary congrats on the restore it looks like brand new. Do post the pics when you figure it out. My stock white cover on on my new scamp did the same thing. You can see the outline of the tire on the cover. I think it is a chemical reaction and it can't be cleaned off. Donna's fix should work to keep the stain from worsening.
evan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 08:23 PM   #5

Trailer: X-treme Lite 160
Quote:
wow.. very nice!! Looks like you really did a great job! You can probably show pics by uploading to a on line album .. like Photobucket, Image station or any of those free on line albums. I am sure all of us would love to see your newly remodeld egg..
Hmm the tire cover.. it could be just the black stuff they make the tires out of..?? Dont know on that one..
Thanks Christi,
I have tried to clean the tire cover with no luck. I guess I will use a plastic bag as Donna mentioned and order another new one. Thanks,
Gary
Gary Little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 01:31 PM   #6

Trailer: Trillium 1978 13 ft
Registry
Quote:
Attachment 2788
I JUST COMPLETED MY TOTAL RESTORATION OF MY 1986 13 SCAMP! I purchased a new spare tire from Northern Tool and a new cover from Scamp. It appears that after only a few days while setting in the garage that the tire and the cover have had a chemical reaction and stained the cover from the inside. I tried to clean the brown dirty looking stain but it appears to be "burnt" into the cover. Has anyone ever experienced this? I have approx. 200 pictures of my restoration, what would be the best way to share them on the forum? I restore Scamps alot better than I use a computer.

Thanks,

Gary Little
Gary

Don't you love it when it all comes together?

The stains from compounds in tires have been a challange for ever-------- UNTIL

Heavy Duty Aluminum Foil !!!

Wrap the tire in foil, slip the tire cover on, and Waaa---Laaaaaaaaa it's done !!!
Any surface of the tire that may come in contact with the cover, must be covered
with foil. Try it, you'll like it.
Good luck with your next project.

Bill

Bill and Jacquie G. is offline   Reply With Quote