DIY 13' Scamp Custom Awning Size. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2015, 09:50 AM   #1

Name: CIndy
Trailer: 82' Scamp 13
North Carolina
DIY 13' Scamp Custom Awning Size.

About to get started on sewing the awning for our 13' Scamp. Owners of a 13' campers what size is your awning? We were originally thinking 7' W x 7' L. But now wondering if 8' would be better or would it look too big with that tiny of a camper?

Problem with custom made: Too many choices!

Thanks!
Cmtravels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 10:12 AM   #2

Name: Rich
Trailer: 2015 Scamp 13D
Minnesota
Here is a picture of our 13 footer with the factory installed 8' awning. Sun angle is going to keep changing the shade underneath. I believe everyone has a differing view of what are the best "looks." Do what works best for you and what prevents making installation a hassle. Then please post a photo of what you create.
Attached Thumbnails
Awning.jpg  
Rich G. and Val F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 10:21 AM   #3

North Carolina
Thanks! That looks nice! Is it 8x8?

I like your window awning too!
Old 06-15-2015, 10:51 AM   #4

Name: Rich
Trailer: 2015 Scamp 13D
Minnesota
The unit is actually about 8'6" from end to end along the length of the trailer. It cranks out to a length of your choice (perhaps up to 8'). I can not currently measure its full extension because it is parked next to our garage.

The window awning is actually just the gravel shield with poles holding it up. Several people have posted different ways to make them.
Rich G. and Val F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 08:25 AM   #5

Name: Guy
Trailer: Scamp
Georgia
I use an easy up (pop up tent) 10x10 rather than the awning
neauone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 08:53 AM   #6

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Factory awnings are in a case which keeps them straight.
If you use an awning rail to attach your custom awning, it will follow the rounded contour of the trailer at the ends. 7ft will result in a straighter line at the trailer. This may not be a real issue but it is something to consider. Here is a seven foot bag awning mounted on an awning rail on a LoveBug....
Attached Thumbnails
06_30_0.JPEG   06_30_2.jpg  

floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 10:26 AM   #7

Name: Carol
Trailer: Scamp / 1949 Hudson
Florida
I made ours...I believe it is 7' x 7'....
CandJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 10:56 AM   #8

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Mine is a 2010 Scamp and came with the 8' awning. Sure, it sticks past the "straight" area a bit, but it sure beats losing another foot as they're pretty narrow as it is. I'd get the largest you're comfy with....and for the 13'...that will probably be the 8'er.

One thing you can do is drop a corner to help shade when the sun is coming up or going down. Either way you look at it, the small awnings are not that effective- and I've also noticed this on the larger RV's where their awnings are higher up. I personally like the "Screen rooms" available now where you have the "sides" you can add or take away. They make a nice addition for help blocking the sun.

As far as the side-mounted awnings, I really like the Fiamma (Sp?) awnings that are out now over the Dometic Catalina. They're just easier to deploy and retract with the "crank" mechanism. The Dometic acts as a HUGE window shade retracting. What if..... Anyway, I'm sure the Fiammas are heavier and more expensive. I've seen them in action though at rallies. Nice.
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 01:06 PM   #9

North Carolina
Thanks all!

Floyd good point about the curve. Thanks for the photos.

I think I'm going to go with 7x7. Carol I'd love to see photos of the one you made.

I'll post photos when I get it done!

I'm following this tutorial to make it:
Vintage Travel Trailers: How to Make a "Vintage" Travel Trailer Awning

And probably mounting it according to this thread:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...amp-37219.html
Old 06-19-2015, 12:35 PM   #10

Name: Kim
Trailer: Scamp
California
I'm going to try to use the BusDepot awning I bought for my bus. It is supposed to sit in the drip rail.

My original awning was no good, so we took the main part of it off, leaving the brackets that hold it on the Scamp. We will get a piece of conduit to attach to the brackets and then clamp the BusDepot awning on to that. We will also put new brackets to the side of the Scamp ( there original ones are gone) to attach the legs of the awning to it. That way it is free standing, no ropes need to tie it down.

They come in 2 sizes. 8x8 or 8x11.

Here is a link if anyone wants to look into one.

The Bus Depot Ezy-Awning | BusDepot.com
KimScamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 12:47 PM   #11

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
If people are looking for a reasonable priced vintage style awning I got this one for $102 with online discount code including shipping to States. Haven't used it yet but it comes with poles and awning rail etc. Think it will look really nice on a Trillium.
Shademaker 98188 Awning Bold white and gold stripes Color/Finish, Vinyl, 1-year Shade Maker limited warranty - JCWhitney
Attached Images

kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, scamp