Do I have DOOR SAG?!?!? Plz help sobbing woman. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-22-2010, 08:27 PM   #1

Trailer: 1988 Perris Pacer ('Bean') / 2004 Element
Registry
Do I have DOOR SAG?!?!? Plz help sobbing woman.

Well, I admit I never carefully read the posts about "door sag", because I thought that was one thing I didn't have to deal with. I mean, I had the roof/window leaks, the blown tire that created havoc, the fridge that doesn't get cold enough-----

Well, as we were bringing Bean from the storage bay to our house a week or so ago, the door flew open in transit. I knew I had read about that---so we bungeed the door and figured we'd look closer later.

Upon closer inspection, we noticed the door seems "askew". For example, there's a brown stripe that goes across the Pacer. The stripe on the door does not match up to the stripe that continues on the body (it is now lower.) It never matched up perfectly, but now is really noticible.

The most disturbing of all was that the first two nights (last week) we could not open the door from the inside! I woke up to my husband banging and jostling and when I asked him what he was doing he said he couldn't get out the door!! It happened again the second night and he had to lift up on the door to get the handle to work. Since we were next to Mr. and Mrs. C, we got their cell phone incase we had to call them to come rescue us.

Is this what I think it is???? Could this have been caused by me leaving the door open for the past 3 weeks to let it air out (since we moved it to indoor storage???) Did the weight of the open door cause it to pull on the hinges???

I've been trying to read the posts about door sagging. Honestly, I'm sick at my stomach. My husband is not a handy man and has very little free time to learn or do repairs and I don't know where to start. We were going to go look for a new tow vehicle next week, but I'm beginning to wonder if I'll have a camper to tow. I guess I'm a little discouraged. I bet it'll be the axle next. And when we can't do the work ourselves------the repair after my blowout (hole in wheel wheel, crack on side, installation of Fantastic Fan cost $1100.)

Is there anyone here in the midwest area I can call on for help??? This camper adventure has been made possible by a small inheritance from my daddy-----I'd just like to pull the little I have left (about 5 grand) and have everything checked/rewired/fixed/replaced, etc. But I don't know who to trust to do it. So far I've got over $6000 in it, and that is fine---I'm just wondering if I'll end up spending what a new would have cost (however, I'm not sure I like NEW as well as Bean). I just want him to be HEALTHY!

I'm sorry this is lengthy. I really need your advice. I will include a picture so you can see what the stripe looked like when we got it. I can take more pictures----let me know what you need to see.

Thank you so much
Vickie
Attached Thumbnails
P1010065.JPG  
Vickie B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 08:37 PM   #2

Trailer: 2008 Scamp 16 ft Custom Deluxe Deluxe Side Dinette
Registry
When you lift up on the door, what moves? Do the screws on the door move or the screws on the main body of the camper? It has to be one or the other. Possably hinge pins. If the screws are moving, they may be stripped, but can easily be fixed by removing the door and hinge, filling the holes with a 2 part epoxy, letting it cure and re-drilling the holes and re-installing the screws and hinge. Older cars have door sag that is easily fixed by replacing the hinge pins. If the screws are not moving, it may just be the hinge pins that need to be replaced. Either way, it isn't the end of the PP.
Mark Shaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 08:41 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Vickie, you PP is the same age as my Scamp. I plan on replacing the brass hinge ball, spring and bolt (SS) sometime before winter. I've ordered (and received) what I need from Scamp. I don't have a sagging door, but I know those parts have not been replaced and the trailer is 23 years old... figure how many times that door has opened and closed in that time.

Looking at the picture of your PP, it LOOKS like the same parts I'm getting for my trailer should work for you too. If I were you, and I'm not, I'd start with the simple things (replacing those parts) and if that doesn't work, move to the more time consuming stuff.

Is the top hinge cracked? Take a real close look. I can't tell from the picture....

Good luck!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 08:49 PM   #4

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
I agree with both above. But remember when your order the hinge ball/spring kit Donna mentioned from Scamp, order 2 because the kit is only for 1 hinge.

Check to make sure the hinge pairs have the same numbers on them. Someone can correct me, but I believe #2 is the top hinge set and 1 the bottom. I will have to go out in the daylight to see for sure how it is on my boler American.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 08:58 PM   #5

Registry
Thanks Donna and Mark I'll look at those things!

Sorry to be such a "girl"-------some reading this may remember that my hubby wasn't even on board about getting a camper last year, but went ahead and drove me the 1700 miles to get it (a very nice guy!). And has enjoyed the two times we've been out. But I hate to keep saying "uh, this needs done, etc. etc."

This has been a bad weekend, as he has been awake and working for 36 hours (he's a DBA/DB2 computer something.) So you are the only ones I can turn to.
Old 08-22-2010, 09:05 PM   #6

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Vickie,

From what I can see, it looks like your door may be out of alignment. This may or may not be the actual door sagging.

What you need to determine is what is actually going on with the door (and/or if it is more than one thing).

1) Is the door losing its shape? The door is made in a sort of long "C" shape, and various factors can cause the bottom of the "C" to "relax" or go more straight and less curved.

2) Is the door still the proper shape, but leaning on its hinges? This could be caused by worn hinge balls, as was mentioned, or a broken hinge.

3) Is a hinge coming detached from the door or the body?

4) Is the body distorted where the lower hinge attaches to it (I have seen this; look down where the lower hinge and bench attach to the body).

5) Is the body itself sagging, or "ballooning" out of shape? (Picture a giant hand on top of a balloon, pressing down.)

If you think about these things and then take a look at the camper with them in mind, it should help us get to the root, or roots of the problem. Once we know what the problem actually is, we can talk about ways to fix it.

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 09:05 PM   #7

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
We're here for you Vickie! Thanks for Roy for remembering you need to order TWO sets.... why they're called "sets" I'll never know since it's only for one hinge.

BTW: I still need to take the bolt to the hardware store and get a stainless steel one. I don't want rust running down the body. Two bolts + nuts should be cheap enough. YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 09:06 PM   #8

Trailer: 13 ft Burro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vickie B. View Post
Thanks Donna and Mark I'll look at those things!

Sorry to be such a "girl"-------some reading this may remember that my hubby wasn't even on board about getting a camper last year, but went ahead and drove me the 1700 miles to get it (a very nice guy!). And has enjoyed the two times we've been out. But I hate to keep saying "uh, this needs done, etc. etc."

This has been a bad weekend, as he has been awake and working for 36 hours (he's a DBA/DB2 computer something.) So you are the only ones I can turn to.

Deep Breathe and remember anything can be fixed. As the others have said try to see what is causing the problem, take alot of pics and post them people on here have keen eyes and can help if the see pictures. Perhaps go to an eggfest near you and look at others campers have them look at yours.

My Burro door didnt fit for nothing as the bottom of the opening was wider than the top I tried to put a strap around it and close the gap that helped some but in the end as I was gonna paint it anyway I cut strips of fiberglass sheet and built up the door to get a pretty good fit I can live with.

Scott
Scott B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 09:16 PM   #9

Registry
Thank you all so much for being so kind. I hope I get to meet more of you in the future!
Now I'm sitting here weeping at how sweet you all are---geez I'm not supposed to be this emotional at my age!

(And hubby can't give me a hug---he's FINALLY gone to bed!)
Old 08-22-2010, 10:13 PM   #10

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
I blow up your photo and by the looks of the gaps between the door and the trailer it looks like the top hinge thats the issue. May just need adjusting or worse case replace it.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 02:15 PM   #11

Trailer: 1976 Boler 13 ft
Registry
i agree, breathe

I had the same problem. however i replaced the entire hinge with scamp ones, not just the ball. I figured why not, they were affordable. i also put in a new lock, which was $$$ but i needed it. The only problem i had was the schmuck idiot 'repair' shop i took it too. I was the same way, no time, energy, or expertise to do it myself. B/c they were hinges and important i wanted them done right.But, if you take it somewhere to get new hinges put on (or any type of work) be specific about what you want to a T. I left a list and this doofus who called himself a RV mechanic decided to do his own list of repairs AND didnt do some of what was on my list. The mgr didnt understand why i was upset, and demanding 1/2 my $ back or I'd take them to court. The scamp hinges are 3 hole mounts, and he only mounted 2 so i will have to get the rest done later. The door is not perfect and still sags/doesn't fit perfectly but it locks tight and i don't have to bungee cord or duct tape it when i drive now! Good luck.
cyndi H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 07:45 PM   #12

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Cyndi Im having are hard to time seeing you taking your trailer to have the hinges done considering all the work I know you have done on your trailer. I am assuming this was when you first got the trailer and before you got your hands dirty!!!!! :-)

BTY I got brave this weekend and finally cut a big hole in the closet, hung a new door and put in a pantry! Love it. What was I so scared of!
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 08:10 PM   #13

Trailer: 13 ft Burro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Cyndi Im having are hard to time seeing you taking your trailer to have the hinges done considering all the work I know you have done on your trailer. I am assuming this was when you first got the trailer and before you got your hands dirty!!!!! :-)

BTY I got brave this weekend and finally cut a big hole in the closet, hung a new door and put in a pantry! Love it. What was I so scared of!

I think most people do a bit of agonizing before cutting a hole or a making a major modification, I know I do and it has kept me from making a mistake as I agonized over it a bit I saw something different and was glad I procrastinated.
Scott B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 08:38 PM   #14

Registry
No, i took it in after my hands were dirty, bloody, and almost all the life had been sucked out of me by that %#!!# trailer. That brightness and shine you see on it now is my soul. The trailer took it.
Old 08-23-2010, 08:41 PM   #15

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post

Cant wait to see it at ft langley in september. i am considering extending my pantry a bit with a new door seeing as mine is warped. that reminds me, i meant to post about that.
Old 08-31-2010, 05:47 PM   #16

Trailer: U-Haul CT13
Registry
Hinges look bad or out of alignment to me from your picture.....shouldnt be too hard an adjustment . Bruce
Bruce Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 06:53 PM   #17

Registry
Thanks Bruce----had to take a time out as my daughter is visiting from Germany for the next 2 weeks---then I'll get back to the camper! Hope it is something simple!
Old 09-05-2010, 07:54 PM   #18

Registry
Here's some more pics of the door/hinges---so---is it a simple hinge problem???
Attached Thumbnails
P1010064.jpg   P1010072.jpg  

P1010066.jpg   P1010063.jpg  

Old 09-05-2010, 10:33 PM   #19

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Well it does look like the brass balls that sit inside the hinges are worn down (because I can't see them and they usually show through). So, if they look that way on in-person inspection, I would start by ordering two of those from Scamp and then re-evaluating. You could also have one or more of the other issues going on (I can't tell from what you are posting), but you might as well start with the hinge balls (at least, I would).

You have to order two sets from Scamp, because a "set" only does one hinge. I think the scamp bolt and nut are non-stainless, so I would replace those with stainless (in other words, I would just use the balls from the kit and then go stainless for the rest).

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 07:46 AM   #20

Trailer: 2009 Scamp 16 ft / 2003 Durango
Here is a picture of a hinge from Scamp showing where the ball belongs.

Bill K

Pair Of Outside Door Hinges
Bill K is offline   Reply With Quote