Do I have to use a battery box? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2009, 08:27 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17
Mount Horeb, Wisconsin
We would like to use a group 27 battery in our Bigfoot, but the battery box is too large. So can I just remove the group 24 box and lash the 27 battery to the area where the 24 box was? I could find a plastic tray for the 27 if leakage is the concern. Since the battery is under the battery/propane "doghouse" does it have to be in a box for other reasons?
Tony Nowak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 09:32 PM   #2

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

I have seen pictures of Bigfoot setups that are just what you propose. If it is already inside the Bigfoot Cowl, I think it is protected enough...
Old 08-02-2009, 09:42 PM   #3

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
it is a small risk, but a risk none the less...

unprotected electrical terminals inside an area where propane can potentially gather.. 1 spark, or the battery tipping and arcing...

goodbye .. boom
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 10:02 PM   #4

Trailer: 1976 Surfside
Quote:
We would like to use a group 27 battery in our Bigfoot, but the battery box is too large. So can I just remove the group 24 box and lash the 27 battery to the area where the 24 box was? I could find a plastic tray for the 27 if leakage is the concern. Since the battery is under the battery/propane "doghouse" does it have to be in a box for other reasons?

The battery should be protected from rain and dirt as much as possible a box is a good idea. Rain and road dirt, dust can cover the top of battery causing a sight short between the poss and neg posts If not cleaned once in awhile will shorten battery life.
ken h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 10:04 PM   #5

Trailer: 1970 Campster
Quote:
it is a small risk, but a risk none the less...

unprotected electrical terminals inside an area where propane can potentially gather.. 1 spark, or the battery tipping and arcing...

goodbye .. boom

Wouldn't it be "Boom. . . goodbye?"
Lisa H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 09:54 AM   #6

Name: Mike
Trailer: 1993 Bigfoot 17 ftCB / 2023 RAV4 Trail
Ontario
Tony,
I did exactly that with my BF17! However, I used a sealed AGM size 27 and did use the top of a marine battery box and lashed it down.
I also installed a 2nd size 27 AGM in a battery box under the dinette seat on the entry door side, running the #8 wires in behind the wood trim panelling to the converter box on the other side. It's in that front closed section that isn't accessable from the outside door.
If you do a search on my name you'll see lot's of other hints for that neat Bigfoot 17!
Good luck.
Mike .....>
Quote:
Michael Pupeza is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery