Do I Need a Cover? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-30-2015, 04:55 PM   #1

Name: Wendy
Trailer: ‘14 Casita 17 SD
Florida
Red face Do I Need a Cover?

Hi, All,

I just brought my "new" 2014 Casita 17'SD home to MN from IL, and I'm running around in circles. I have several questions that I'll ask separately.

First, do I need to have a cover over the Casita? I will be full-timing starting in two months and am storing it outside while I wait for my lease to expire. I'm guessing I'll stay in one place for two weeks at a time once I begin to wander about. What happens to fiberglass when it sits in the sun and elements? Thanks for your help!
WendyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 07:38 AM   #2

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
Hi Wendy, I'm Wendy from Sanborn. If you will be full timing and on the road all the time (spare when your camped) I'm not sure how you'll keep it covered as that would cover up your vents, fans, etc.

Over the years, or from neglect, fiberglass and gelcoat oxidize and begin to lose that shiny glass look, becoming chalky and dull.

The best preventative for that is a good quality marine wax. I use and love Meguiars premium flagship wax, but there are also great 3M and other products out there.

Since your trailer wi t be going in for full time storage ever, frequent waxing would be important. My suggestion would be once a month, which is about what I do my own. This will also help protect from road grime and make bug and bird poop come off easier.

Others may have different thought, but if she were my trailer, full timing, washing and waxing would be as frequent as I could.

Congrats on your new baby!

Wendy

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
CampyTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 07:45 AM   #3

New York
Registry
An addendum: for the two months you're waiting to go, just keep her waxed and washed. Covers ( good ones, like Calmark) are pricey. Don't put a regular tarp over her, whatever you do! Grit from rain and wind can get underneath and scratch your gelcoat. Can also get slimy and mossy as they don't breathe.

Old 07-01-2015, 08:34 AM   #4

Name: Doug
Trailer: Scamp 16 ft.
Missouri
A good Cal Mark cover is far cheaper than your trailer! Spend the money to get a good cover to last for years! Takes about 2 months for them to make one, so plan ahead. We are ordering ours in August for a October delivery, winterizing in November and covering it for the long dreadful winter. Even comes with a zippered door to get into the trailer while covered !
Flyboyscamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 09:23 AM   #5

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
If you're going "full time", I would NOT buy an expensive cover. Good advice from the other Wendy...keep it waxed. That's your only long-term hope for keeping it from chalking over time...AND keeping it clean...very important. Tree sap is not finish-friendly on any vehicle.
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 09:33 AM   #6

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Trailer covers are expensive. You'll probably need something to protect the cover. Maybe a cover cover.
Old 07-01-2015, 10:00 AM   #7

New York
Registry
Funny, Glenn! 😄

Old 07-01-2015, 10:19 AM   #8

Name: Pat
Trailer: Escape 2013 19 ft
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampyTime View Post
Hi Wendy, I'm Wendy from Sanborn. If you will be full timing and on the road all the time (spare when your camped) I'm not sure how you'll keep it covered as that would cover up your vents, fans, etc.

Over the years, or from neglect, fiberglass and gelcoat oxidize and begin to lose that shiny glass look, becoming chalky and dull.

The best preventative for that is a good quality marine wax. I use and love Meguiars premium flagship wax, but there are also great 3M and other products out there.

Since your trailer wi t be going in for full time storage ever, frequent waxing would be important. My suggestion would be once a month, which is about what I do my own. This will also help protect from road grime and make bug and bird poop come off easier.

Others may have different thought, but if she were my trailer, full timing, washing and waxing would be as frequent as I could.

Congrats on your new baby!

Wendy

Glad to know there are others out there who take care of their trailers . I am almost 2 years now I asked that on other fiberglass forum and was made fun of for waxing more then 1-2 a year . I live in California and the UV 's alone will ruin my trailer . I wash and wax at least every couple of months wish I could do more . When I am not going any where for awhile I bought a Calmark cover . The nicest cover I ever owned . I have had them all for my other 4RV's . Pat
LindaandPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 11:00 AM   #9

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
We're here in Illinois too. If you need any preparation on your trailer, feel free to contact us. If it is just a last checkout of your trailer, a minor mod,a minor repair,or some seminars on operating it, feel free to contact us before you head out into the unknown.
As for your shell it will last a lifetime outdoors, The more you wax it and gelgloss it the shinier it will stay. neglected it will get chalky over the years.

You should line your curtains and replace any sun damaged buttons, along with an occasional wash and a little rubdown with wax a couple times a year.
Do this and it will look good and serve you well.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 01:33 PM   #10

Name: Bill
Trailer: Escape
Tennessee
I just looked at an Awning Pro-Tech awning cover. They caution against using a trailer cover as they can concentrate the heat. Their covers begin to deform at 150 degrees, and when a cover is in the sun, it can easily exceed this. This was at an outside temp of 80s. See Awning Pro-Tech RV Awning Covers | awningpro-tech.com I will stick to waxing and washing.
Old 07-01-2015, 01:54 PM   #11

Name: Wendy
Trailer: ‘14 Casita 17 SD
Florida
Wow, thanks, everybody, you just saved me a bundle of money! Floyd from Illinois, I've already returned to my home base in Minnesota, but I am grateful for your offer of help! The Casita is in outdoor storage, I'm in my apartment, and my Sequoia TV is in the underground garage. I will wash and wax the Casita before hitting the road full-time at the end of August.
WendyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 03:14 PM   #12

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
That was interesting! Thanks for posting it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwdornbush View Post
I just looked at an Awning Pro-Tech awning cover. They caution against using a trailer cover as they can concentrate the heat. Their covers begin to deform at 150 degrees, and when a cover is in the sun, it can easily exceed this. This was at an outside temp of 80s. See Awning Pro-Tech RV Awning Covers | awningpro-tech.com I will stick to waxing and washing.
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote