Do I really need this? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-07-2007, 10:24 AM   #15
Trailer: 2006 (25B21RB) 21 ft Bigfoot / Dodge 2500 Diesel
I use a brass regulator and an inline shutoff valve. Easier to do a quick shutoff when leaving camp.

Dean & Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 07:17 PM   #16
Name: William
Trailer: 1999 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe ('Inn EggsIsle')
Although we use one my take is that whether your there or away and the lines let go your gonna get wet especially if it happens at night

Love being Inneggsile
heading sloowly up the eastcoast to our next 2 month (Aug and Sept) camp hosting gig at Camden Hills State Park in Maine
Bill MacDermod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 09:42 PM   #17
Name: Roger
Trailer: Y2K6 Born Free 32RQ on the Kodiak chassis, 1995 Coachmen 19' B-van and 1996 Precision 21' Sailboat
I have two quick stories... in my first 1978 Scamp 13 (that I very foolishly towed with a '79 Jeep CJ-7), I was hooked up to a fresh water spigot in Lake Havasu City near the (then) newly reconstructed London Bridge. We had invited some friends from Las Vegas to meet us there and we were having a great time.

My (now ex-) wife was standing in the trailer doing something or other in the middle of the afternoon when all of a sudden she began shrieking like a tornado siren. You could hear her for blocks, and you'd have thought someone was trying to kill her. My buddy and I sprang from our chairs and ran to the door to find the faucet feed line had come off the faucet from the pressure. It was flying around like a crazy snake, spraying my (now ex-) wife and the interior of the trailer with full pressure water. I got it shut off a the spigot, cleaned it up, and since we were in the desert in the summer, the trailer dried out quickly. It was a hilarious memory even today, but I'd shudder to think what the trailer would have looked like had we been away for a few hours when it pulled off. Something akin to an aquarium, no doubt...

The other was a hose that I had lying in the sun, again without a regulator (since the trailer had a residential pressure regulator inside). The hose swelled up like a python that had eaten a pig. My 5/8" hose got to be about 2 1/2" in diameter before I called it off and replaced the hose. It undoubtedly wouldn't have lasted much longer before it burst.

A $6 water regulator can save a lot of aggravation.

Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 06:59 PM   #18
Name: Dan
Trailer: Scamp
IMHO, you don't need a pressure regulator.

I've installed a water pressure guage in my Scamp. When I fire up my water heater from cold, water pressure will rise to 150 lbs which is the setting of the relief valve on the water heater.

Having said that, I own a pressure regulator and use it to keep my water pressure around 40 to50 lbs. I'm not really certain why; as I've not seen a campground yet with water pressure over 90 lbs.

-- Dan Meyer
Dan Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 03:56 PM   #19
Trailer: 1996 17 ft Casita / 1991 Olds Custom Cruiser Washingtongon
2Cents worth! As a newbie RVr I placed the regulator on the water intake on the RV instead of at the hose bib. The water pressure built during the night and the hose burst. I woke up to a series of words that were inventive in their sentence placement! There was water everywhere in the park! On top of that it had frozen and people were slipping and sliding! There was no love!! We left the park with our tails between our legs! YES - you need this!
geoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 04:31 PM   #20
Trailer: 1977 Boler 17 ft
I have always used a regulator and after seeing a large 5th wheel with water pouring out under the door and no one home I started to shut the water off whenever I left for any length of time. At first I thought this was dumb but then realized that unlike a house system our trailers get a lot of shaking etc. on the road which through time can loosen fittings and cause problems. I have spoken with people who say they've gone for weeks with no problems, stopped for the night and when they hooked up to water had a leak.

One test I regularily do is when I shut the water off to go away for the day before I turn it on again when I get back I turn a tap on in the trailer. If there is no pressure I know there is some sort of leak. I have left the system in our motorhome presurized for days and it still held pressure.

Neil W' is offline   Reply With Quote