Do not leave home without these...... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-06-2011, 12:29 PM   #1

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Do not leave home without these......

Took a picture of some items I feel are essential to a safe trip. The IR thermometer, propane leak detector, waterproof match holder, tire pressure gauge, and weather radio. Although small, everyone of these items could become essential at one time or another.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC00922.JPG  
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 01:37 PM   #2

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Essentials

We carry all these things except the weather radio and the waterproof matches. We always have a couple of propane fire starters that surfice for water proof matches, in the car we have a magnifying glass that can almost always start a fire and in our hiking back pack we carry a flint.

We used to carry a weather radio but now depend on our phone or internet service for the weather.

As well we carry 24 bottles of water in our tow vehicle (along with a small compressor and bottle jack.). If we're headed way out we usually carry a super water filter to make any water source drinkable.

Another way out valuable tool is our SPOT. SPOT is a hand held device that allows you to report your position just about anywhere on the surface of the earth. It can report your position when you push a button or it can do it while you hike. As well as reporting your position it can be used to send for help. We considered this essential for our trip to Labrador where you might really be stuck and there is no traditional cell phone service.

http://www.findmespot.com/en/

We also carry a can of Bear Spray, essential for old, unarmed hikers and two hiking sticks. We used to carry a Hiking GPS for Geocaching and to ensure we can get home. We now use our cell phone for this function.

My wife has one more emergency supply - a can of SPAM. We've never traveled without one and this year when Irene was threatening she bought two spares. (Also visit the SPAM museum in Southern MN, a real hoot.)

I just asked my wife what was essential to have in the trailer. She responded "you". You just have to love her.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 01:40 PM   #3

Pennsylvania
Registry
"I just asked my wife what was essential to have in the trailer. She responded "you". You just have to love her.'

Now that is cute...
Old 09-06-2011, 07:09 PM   #4

Trailer: 1975 Surfside TM14 (front kitchen)
Registry
Send a message via MSN to Scott S. Send a message via Yahoo to Scott S.
I would have to add a cork screw and a few bottles of nice red wine. just sayn...
Scott S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 07:27 PM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I take my American Express and Visa card.... truly.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 09:04 PM   #6

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
propane leak detector
Thanks for the heads up on this. I thought I found a new leak last weekend with the soapy water. Apparently I have not found them all.

I see CW has one on sale now for $20, not the same brand though. I'll have to call a local supplier tomorrow to see what one will cost.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 06:53 PM   #7

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Registry
Quote:
"I just asked my wife what was essential to have in the trailer. She responded "you". You just have to love her.'

Now that is cute...
Old 09-10-2011, 09:32 PM   #8

Name: John
Trailer: gave up!!
California
I just asked my wife what was essential to have in the trailer. She responded "you". You just have to love her......

Norm, you lucky s.o.b.!!!
John_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 10:17 PM   #9

Florida
Thank you all

Ginny is a wonderful wife. She is a joy to be with and has taught me so much about life. She deserves a lot of credit for making me a better person, of course she would deny it but I know.

We have had a grand time traveling about in our rigs for 11 years, everyday we're thankful for each other and our truly wondrous lifestyle.

My dad said "make good choices". Ginny was my first.

As much as we love each other, life on the road has strengthened our love. When we're traveling, when we're away from the past and family we do love, we have so much time for each other.

There is a specialness to the RV life.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 10-13-2011, 10:28 AM   #10

Name: Bonnie and Claude
Trailer: N/A
Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Ginny is a wonderful wife. She is a joy to be with and has taught me so much about life. She deserves a lot of credit for making me a better person, of course she would deny it but I know.

We have had a grand time traveling about in our rigs for 11 years, everyday we're thankful for each other and our truly wondrous lifestyle.

My dad said "make good choices". Ginny was my first.

As much as we love each other, life on the road has strengthened our love. When we're traveling, when we're away from the past and family we do love, we have so much time for each other.

There is a specialness to the RV life.
No matter what our age, your words are a great inspiration for those of us just starting out on the road.
Bonnie n Claude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 10:31 AM   #11

Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Took a picture of some items I feel are essential to a safe trip. The IR thermometer, propane leak detector, waterproof match holder, tire pressure gauge, and weather radio. Although small, everyone of these items could become essential at one time or another.
Sorry... newbie... is the IR detector to check the wiring to see if it's overheating? Does it also work to see if the 13" wheels are hot or do you simply get out and touch them from time-to-time? Does the CO2 monitor serve the same purpose as the propane detector indoors and soap-and-water for the outdoor connections. If not, what model is shown in the photo (old eyes). Thanks!
Old 10-14-2011, 12:09 AM   #12

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie and Claude View Post
Sorry... newbie... is the IR detector to check the wiring to see if it's overheating? Does it also work to see if the 13" wheels are hot or do you simply get out and touch them from time-to-time? Does the CO2 monitor serve the same purpose as the propane detector indoors and soap-and-water for the outdoor connections. If not, what model is shown in the photo (old eyes). Thanks!
IR thermometers are unreliable and very unaccurate when used in air temperatures other than 72°F. A simple touch of the hand is more reliable and less misleading.
Last time I checked there was only one the market that would work over a wide air temperature range and it costs over $500.
Old 10-14-2011, 05:47 AM   #13

Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
The IR is for your hubs/bearings to see if they are hot, indicating a possible problem, propane is used around connections where soapy water can not be seen to check, particularly on older trailers, it does not replace your CO2 monitor nor your propane detector both of which are on all the time.
Old 10-14-2011, 06:51 AM   #14

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
Wives: nothing better than being married to the right one and nothing worse than being married to the wrong one. 48 years together and things seem to be ok so we're going to try it for another 48 & then decide if we made the right choice.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 07:12 AM   #15

Ontario
Registry
Thank you Brian and Jim. Will add the propane dectector to the Do It Now list and do some research on the IR detector. BTW, it appears this website is addictive! I should be finishing my packing as we leave tomorrow morning but keep checking the responses in my email instead. So much to learn... appreciate everyone's help.
Old 10-14-2011, 08:44 AM   #16

Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Thank you Brian and Jim. Will add the propane dectector to the Do It Now list and do some research on the IR detector. BTW, it appears this website is addictive! I should be finishing my packing as we leave tomorrow morning but keep checking the responses in my email instead. So much to learn... appreciate everyone's help.
The UPS delivery man and myself are on first name basis due to all the CW deliveries he has made in past years.
Old 10-14-2011, 11:53 AM   #17

Trailer: Casita
Been married for 53 years, almost got a divorce last year, but neither one of us wanted the kids, so just decided to stick it out.........
jgreenern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 12:12 PM   #18

Florida
Impressive

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgreenern View Post
Been married for 53 years, almost got a divorce last year, but neither one of us wanted the kids, so just decided to stick it out.........
What's most impressive is not that you considered a divorce after 52 years but that you still have the kids.....

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 10-15-2011, 07:52 AM   #19

Name: Laura
Trailer: Winnebago
Iowa
Ok, I know I am dumb, that's why I ask questions. What is a IR thermometer, and what is the yellow pocket thingy? I understand the tire tester and the weather radio. I see you have a midland. Do you have to keep reseting that to new locations?
Laura June is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 08:14 AM   #20

Pennsylvania
Registry
The Midland finds the local weather NOAA automatically, the IR is a thermometer to measure your wheel bearings temperature to see if they get hot, indicating a problem or lack of grease, the yellow pocket thingy is a portable propane tester to test your tank and stove and heater connections for any leaking propane gas. All these are available @ CW which is having a free shipping weekend sale as we speak.