Do you lock your coupler when you leave your trailer? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Maintenance | Restoration | Modifications | Problem Solving > Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-12-2012, 09:09 AM   #41

Name: Alan
Trailer: '07 Escape 17' Plan B
Illinois
While going through the high deserts of Arizona I had two blowouts on the trailer within 10 miles. With no spare available I decided to leave the trailer and go back the 60 miles to a town with a Walmart tire department open on Sunday. The nice A.H.Patrolman that helped block traffic until I was safely parked recommended locking the hitch closed with the receiver in it and a lock through the pin hole. A ball isn't so necessary to drag away a trailer as a hole to tie in to.
Alan S. Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 11:36 AM   #42

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin K View Post
Lock your chains also.
Thanks for that tip!
Old 04-12-2012, 02:02 PM   #43

Name: Mike
Trailer: 1996 16' Casita SD
Louisiana
Registry
I've never locked mine.
After reading this thread, I will.
itlives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 07:27 AM   #44

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
Wow! Thanks for all the replies thus far.

I have a UHaul, which uses a screw type coupler as opposed to the over center type. Any recommendations for the best lock for this type of coupler?
I have a UHaul too. Just Google "Gorilla Hitch Lock"
Attached Thumbnails
Gorilla Lock.jpg  
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 08:23 AM   #45

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam Garlow View Post
I have a UHaul too. Just Google "Gorilla Hitch Lock"
Thanks. Reading the reviews on Amazon (for any of these locks) seem to be divided between "great hitch lock" and "easy to knock off with a hammer or bolt cutters".

I may have to weld up something that is both hammer and bolt cutter resistant.
Old 04-13-2012, 10:54 AM   #46

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
I assume that if they really want it, they'll figure out how to get it no matter what the protective measures. I just try to make it hard enough to stop a 'drive by' opportunist.
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 08:08 AM   #47

Name: Tyler
Trailer: 72 Cloud
Wisconsin
Registry
I lock mine with just a regular Master lock when parked or towing. To be extra safe I cut the ball off an old hitch I had and lock that in place so someone with a smaller hitch then 2" can't just pop it on and go. Not sure of any better way to do it then this. I think if a person is determined enough they could just duck tape or tie your trailer to their hitch and go regardless if it was locked or not. I just hope using a lock will deter the lazy and unimaginative thieves out there.
EddyEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 04:51 PM   #48

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Followup:

I wanted a simple way to lock my UHaul trailer coupler both on and off the vehicle hitch. I decided the easiest way was to drill a hole in the coupler knob and padlock it to the safety chain. On my UHaul, the first 3 links of the safety chain are welded to the tongue, which is just right to lock to the knob. Anyone with a big pair of bolt cutters could steal it, but looking at most of the special purpose couplers, they can be cut with bolt cutters or knocked off with a hammer. This will slow down the lazier thief.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3663.JPG   IMG_3664.JPG  

Old 05-26-2012, 05:18 PM   #49

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
The idea is to get the lazy thief to move along to easier pickin's. All these are simple and relatively inexpensive ideas. To me, it's alot like wax... use it! YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 05:52 PM   #50

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin G View Post
yupper's! I am not gonna make it easy for someone to just take the trailer. Even at home stored in the barn, it's locked! This is like mine, but a heck of a lot cheaper than what I paid. Found this example on Amazon.

Those locks look pretty heavy, and one would think they would do a good job. But, from what I've heard other places a single well placed hammer blow will break the locking pin. Any think like this is only as good as the weakest link.

I use the one below and a Master lock in the latch.
Attached Thumbnails
178542_lg.jpg  
Old 05-27-2012, 05:42 AM   #51

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
In 25 years of owni9ng a trailer, I have never locked the hitch. Actually, I have never even thought to do it either. I do keep a pin in it to ensure it stays closed.

Our door on the trailer is rarely locked either, just like at home. Now that our kids are gone from home, we do tend to lock the house up when we leave more often. Sometimes we lock the trailer if laving for a long period of time, but not if we are around the campground.

I guess I just lean to the not worrying attitude, rather that stress out with the thoughts of what could potentially happen.

I might look into a locking pin for the hitch though. I wonder if they have combo ones though, so I don't have to add another darn key to the ring, though I guess I could just leave it in the glove box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick L. Simson View Post
  • 2 Locking tire chocks; one on each side.
Frederick, the locking action on the X-Chocks are meant for their protection from theft, not the trailers, as they will not stop someone from pulling away with a vehicle hooked up. No, I don't care to explain how I know.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 06:31 AM   #52

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Jim,
Princess Auto has a 3 lock set with one key on sale now:
Anti-Theft Towing Lock Set | Princess Auto

As for the worrying and stress, that is why we buy insurance. If it's not locked, the insurance is no good. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 08:37 AM   #53

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Thanks for that link, Roy.
I was liking the idea of a padlock with a long shackle. One could lock the ball in the hitch, and lock the chains up too.

As far as the insurance thing goes, it would be wise to check individual policies. Contents of a home, vehicle or trailer, unless specifically covered under another policy, are insured as homeowner contents. I know for a fact that our stuff is insured regardless of being locked (my daughter when living at home tested this out with our car ), but others may not.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 09:24 AM   #54

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
One could lock the ball in the hitch, and lock the chains up too.
Depending on the size of your links you might be able to lock them using the U of the ball lock.

I remove my chains in storage or when parked for a while. Just one more thing to make an opportunistic theft less viable. My boler American also has a removable wiring cable. Without chains and lights one is more likely to get pulled over
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 10:48 AM   #55

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
In BC our one and only Provincially owned Insurance company started a Bait Trailer program last year in response to the number of trailer thefts that where taking place.
We have had a bait car program which has been successful at reducing car thefts.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 08:10 PM   #56

Name: Mark
Trailer: 1969 Boler (Flat Top)
British Columbia
Registry
Didn't know about the bait trailer program. That's great. I know tow people that have there trailers stolen out of there driveways. Yep brazen would be a good description. One had a small power boat the other was a tent trailer. I have a coupler and hitch lock keyed the same, like posted earlier. Not because I worry but so I don't have too.
WildBirder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 05:05 AM   #57

Name: richie
Trailer: Casita patriot deluxe (sold)
Virginia
Good Morning All
My Casita is my 6th TT, I have always locked them,My insurance Co Says; due the High Theft Item it must be locked,at Home it is blocked in and locked to the Truck (farm vehicle) since i very rural,
have a great day All.
sparky1.in s, Va.
sparky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 08:06 AM   #58

Trailer: 2006 17 ft Casita
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin Maring View Post
The better question would be: Why don't you lock your Coupler?

And just like Norm and Ginny, we lock ours all the time.

A couple of years ago it was reported that people were finding that someone had tampered with the coupler while the owners were on the road and away from their vehicle.

Be Safe, Not Sorry.
eggzxley what Darwin,Norm and Ginny said.
Old 04-25-2018, 06:02 AM   #59

Name: Joe
Trailer: 2013 EggCamper & 2011 Silverado Reg Cab 4x4
Ohio
Sorry for digging up the old thread but I was searching for ideas and this came up! I have to share my story.

Way back - I was 19 yrs old. I was selling a 1973 Honda CL350. My dad had a huge tow cable with crimped ends. This thing was very industrial. So I lived in a 2family home on a busy road. I put the Honda in the front yard by a telephone pole and cable went thru the frame and around the telephone pole! The motorcycle is not going anywhere for sure!!

I couple days later I went over there and sure enough the lock had been cut with bolt cutters!!! The motorcycle was still there, and they stole the cable!!

As long as I broke the rules on this thread revival....I do lock the receiver. I do NOT lock the egg door. Id rather have our coffee pot and skillet stolen than a crow bar taken to the fiberglass to pry the door open!
2013 EggCamper #120

Joe's EggCamper Journal
Joe & Cherie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 10:05 PM   #60

Trailer: Bigfoot 19 ft
I absolutely lock the coupler! Even if I am away for a short time.