Do you lock your coupler when you leave your trailer? - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-27-2018, 10:19 PM   #61

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
While I generally lock my cars, I do so without expectations.
I have always said....
" Any car with glass windows doesn't need door locks."
It is even sillier to lock my CONVERTIBLE with a cloth top!

At least I won't EVER buy insurance from a company which orders me to lock anything. I grew up in a neighborhood where people left their keys in their cars because almost everybody condemned theft... not so much anymore. Today they choose to blame the victim.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 11:13 PM   #62

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
I put a lock on the coupler for a couple of reasons.
1. It helps make sure the coupler is latched.
2. When I stop for a meal It slows down a prank (unlatching the coupler)
3. The ball mount is locked with pin lock through the receiver. See above.
When camped the tow is unhitched and a lock is over the coupler and lock on the latch. Simply to slow down would be thieves. The only thing I have to do make sure it's more difficult to get mine than yours.

The door of the trailer is always locked when traveling and is left locked when are in a restaurant. If take the tow vehicle to do something and leave the trailer in a campground we lock the door. Locks only slow somebody down or discourage them so they'll go after somebody else It also helps keep honest people honest. We also close the curtains. Makes it a bit more difficult to tell if anybody is there.

A lot of is like the old story about running shoes and bears chasing you and your friend. You only be faster than your ex-friend.
Old 04-27-2018, 11:51 PM   #63

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
At camp I lock the hitch so I know where I left the lock. Underway, the lock ensures the hitch is securely on the ball.
Old 04-28-2018, 03:57 AM   #64

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
With my fifth wheel hitch there is no way of locking the coupler even if I wanted. I tow a cargo trailer or dump trailer more than 75% of the time and never use a coupler lock, setting no value in it, as without a team of thieves they could not disconnect it to steal and have never once heard of a prankster opening the coupler. Besides any organized thief wild get past one in a heartbeat.

I do use a wheel lock sometimes when not connected with my cargo trailer, but never my travel trailer, as I have never heard of one stolen from a campsite before.

I never used to lock the trailer door all that often when camped, but do a bit more now since I installed a keyless lock making it real easy to lock me quick to enter a code to unlock.

Oh, and I have everything fully insured.

But, we all do need to decide for ourselves what level of security we are most comfortable with, and go for it. Nothing wrong with piece of mind, and if added security does it, it is a good thing.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 05:50 AM   #65

Trailer: 1990 Scamp 16 ft
Our is locked at all times. Double locked when unhitched.

John
John Linck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 10:31 AM   #66

Name: Jack
Trailer: 2015 Casita 17FD
Rapides Parish La.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
At camp I lock the hitch so I know where I left the lock. Underway, the lock ensures the hitch is securely on the ball.
DIT and TO(E).......................
madjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 09:30 AM   #67

Name: Larry
Trailer: Burro
California
A few years ago I was camping in a remote spot. Left the trailer to go to a town and do a day hike.
Coming back I see a trailer exactly like mine(older Burro), and remarked to my friend”there’s a Burro, just like mine, he’ll it IS mine”- turned out it wasn’t, but it’s the only Burro I’ve seen being towed in 5 years.
Sort of panicked me for not locking it.
I followed the tow vehicle for a 1/4 mile finally realizing it wasn’t mine- whew!
I’ve locked it ever since.
Burroman is offline   Reply With Quote