Do you put caulk under the plastic washer with Scamp rivets? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-12-2009, 09:08 AM   #1

Trailer: 1991 Scamp 16 ft
I'm replacing all of my rivets so that I can have nice new shiny caps that aren't brittle and fall apart when I blow on them. It looks like there is some caulk under the washers but maybe it is actually just "around" the washer. Do I need to do this or will the plastic washer suffice? If I need caulk, just a little dab of latex?

The acorn nut thing - the few that I've done, I've drilled out the old rivet, pushed it back, unscrewed the acorn nut, put in the new rivet, send my kid in to the trailer to hold the acorn nut over the end of the rivet and doing it like a normal rivet. Correct procedure?

Thanks for any advice. I've read multiple rivet threads but I don't see caulk mentioned anywhere except for filling in the end of the rivet hole where the rivet breaks off. Isn't that what the cap is for though?

1991 Scamp 16'
Bryan L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 11:19 AM   #2

Trailer: Boler
Quote:
I'm replacing all of my rivets so that I can have nice new shiny caps that aren't brittle and fall apart when I blow on them. It looks like there is some caulk under the washers but maybe it is actually just "around" the washer. Do I need to do this or will the plastic washer suffice? If I need caulk, just a little dab of latex?

The acorn nut thing - the few that I've done, I've drilled out the old rivet, pushed it back, unscrewed the acorn nut, put in the new rivet, send my kid in to the trailer to hold the acorn nut over the end of the rivet and doing it like a normal rivet. Correct procedure?

Thanks for any advice. I've read multiple rivet threads but I don't see caulk mentioned anywhere except for filling in the end of the rivet hole where the rivet breaks off. Isn't that what the cap is for though?

From what I have read (and we are about to replace all of ours, like you) the best procedure would be:

Caulk around hole, washer, rivet. Caulk inside rivet once you've tightened down, then cap over that. May be a bit of extra work, but you do NOT want a leak that you later have to track down! Better safe than sorry I think. As far as the acorn nut, that sounds about right from what I have read. Make sure your son is holding it tight up against the fiberglass.
Stacy Crotser is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp