Do You Secure Your Trailer When Unhitched? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-20-2007, 08:49 AM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
When we find our "treasure" of a fiberglass rv, we will be securing it with a Trailer Keeper which is a wheel locking device - a big orange thing that padlocks onto the wheel of the trailer. We had a pop-up camper - a 2,000 lb. one - removed from our yard while we slept inside the house. It had a hitchlock in place but it appeared they must of dragged it to the street where I supposed they loaded it on a flat-bed truck (saw one often sort of "shopping" the countryside a few times). While nothing can stop a determined thief, I intend to at least slow them down. Cathy
Cathy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 09:11 AM   #2

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
I have a Denver Boot. It has thwarted a couple of movings.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 01:35 PM   #3

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Cathy, are you comfortable with the way the Trailer Keeper is attached? There is a bracket which they intend for you to keep permanently installed on a wheel stud, and I personally don't like the idea of having it mounted while the trailer is operated on the road.

This lock was previously discussed in the topic Theft deterent for 13' boler, and mentioned in Hitch locks. I have two concerns with the bracket, and when I asked the manufacturer about those concerns their response was prompt and appropriate; however, it did not at all alleviate my concerns.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 04:46 PM   #4

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
I chain the wheels to the frame with locks even when it is parked in the side yard a home.
CD Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 07:17 PM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
My trailer is parked beside the house behind a six-foot solid wood fence...the gate is locked. I have a coupler lock that I SOMETIMES use when the trailer is parked at home. Depends on if I need to leave the gate unlocked for workerbees.

And, I have GOOD insurance.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 07:32 PM   #6

Brian B-P: My husband always removed the bracket before taking it on the road as he wasn't comfortable with leaving it in place and it didn't seem that much of a hassle to remove it. Cathy
Cathy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 02:07 PM   #7

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Cathy, that sounds like a good plan to me. The convenience of the Trailer Keeper is certainly reduced by having to do this, but it might still be the right solution for some, since it prevents a thief from removing the lock by removing the wheel.

I forgot to answer the original question:
I use a simple padlock on the coupler latch (which is substantial in my Atwood coupler), when I lock it at all. I realize that this is minimal method, and is not appropriate for some locations.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 08:42 PM   #8

This lock, called an Enforcer http://www.transportsecurity.com/products....d=king-pin-lock was recommended on another RV forum in a post where someone had their 5th wheel stolen out of a gated storage area by Irish Travelers

Believe or Not!

Quote:
When we find our "treasure" of a fiberglass rv, we will be securing it with a Trailer Keeper which is a wheel locking device - a big orange thing that padlocks onto the wheel of the trailer. We had a pop-up camper - a 2,000 lb. one - removed from our yard while we slept inside the house. It had a hitchlock in place but it appeared they must of dragged it to the street where I supposed they loaded it on a flat-bed truck (saw one often sort of "shopping" the countryside a few times). While nothing can stop a determined thief, I intend to at least slow them down. Cathy
Joanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 08:52 PM   #9

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Unhappy

Quote:
I chain the wheels to the frame with locks even when it is parked in the side yard a home.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Red_Wheels.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	108.2 KB
ID:	6537

My wheels are solid. No place to pass a chain thru-

Click image for larger version

Name:	Trailer_Hitch.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	6538

I lock the hitch.
Old 02-24-2007, 09:03 PM   #10

Trailer: 2007 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Check out this set up.

http://tirelock.com/
Gary Lynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 04:24 AM   #11

Trailer: Boler 13 ft
Quote:
While nothing can stop a determined thief, I intend to at least slow them down. Cathy

I agree, Cathy, if they want it, they will get it..
Living in rural Maine, I do not do anything to lock my trailer down. In the winter with the snow piled around it and out of site in the back yard you would need a helicopter to get it out.
Although we have our small town punks that hang around and do break in to houses, I am more worried about vandelizem then theft.
A few years ago I use to split all my fire wood ( 16 cord) by hand useing an maul in the front yard and I think people in town thought I was "CRAZY" and this keeps trouble away too.
I do plan to get a hitch lock for when we are camping but if they want my Boler 13 footer, they will get it.
Gerry
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 09:49 AM   #12

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
Another way I do is to park it tongue-in first, i.e., backwards.

The main reason is to get the door and power receptacle on the side that is next to our house, but I often wonder if that might just make it a bit less of a target.

Loren
Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 10:11 AM   #13

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
This was just posted on one of our local news websites and it's about utility trailers..but still

Quote:
[b]Police Say Couple May Have Stolen 1,000 Trailers In Portland, Oregon

Couple Would Steal Trailers, Sell Them On eBay and Craigslist, Police Say

POSTED: 6:50 pm PST March 2, 2007

PORTLAND, Ore. -- Police said they are looking for a woman who police believe is connected to at least 1,000 utility trailer thefts in the Portland area over the past two years.

Police said Andrew Culbert and Linda Shearer would cruise the Portland and Vancouver areas looking for desirable trailers. They would record the addresses in their notebooks and return later to haul them off, police said.

After stripping and repainting the trailers, they would allegedly sell them on Craigslist. Police said they often sold as many as five a day.

One of the alleged victims, Ed Wong, said his trailer had been repainted and the floorboards replaced, but he claimed he still knew it was his when he located it on craigslist.org.

“Someone stole my trailer out of my house, out of my driveway. I reported it to the police. The officer said that we probably won’t recover it,” said Wong. “There have been numerous trailers stolen. The officers said his trailer had been stolen.” Culbert was arrested this week, and Shearer is still at large, police said.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 10:27 PM   #14

Trailer: Boler 13 ft 1972
A little costly, but various gps locaters are made to track stolen vehicles, and can be placed easily in an egg. Some are monthly service, like on-star, and others are stand alone units.

What I found, so far, are 10-20/month fees or a 700 purchase. Will report later on more precise research.

At least this way, you might find your stolen egg before it gets resold or worse, dismantled.
Lance MacArthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 08:06 PM   #15

Trailer: 1985 Scamp 13 ft / 1999 Toyota Tacoma
If we are going to be gone for more than a week and the scamp is not with us..I take the tires off and leave the trailer on the stands. That would draw attention to themselves as thieves. I do the same with the other three boat and cargo trailers---no tires no worries.

Gary
Gary Carvajal is offline   Reply With Quote