Does anyone know where I can get replacement plugs for my Scamp hot water heater? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-31-2013, 01:18 PM   #1

Name: Sharon
Trailer: Chez Nous - a 2011 Scamp 16'
Texas
Does anyone know where I can get replacement plugs for my Scamp hot water heater?

Scamp video says use 7/8" socket wrench to remove this plug, but my 7/8" wrench doesn't work -- slightly too small to fit head. Is the plug itself 7/8"?

thx. Sharon
SharonM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 01:25 PM   #2

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonM View Post
Scamp video says use 7/8" socket wrench to remove this plug, but my 7/8" wrench doesn't work -- slightly too small to fit head. Is the plug itself 7/8"?

thx. Sharon
Sharon, if you have a 23mm wrench, you could give it a try. It is slightly bigger than 7/8.

Good luck!

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
2013 4wd 4 door F150 3.5L Ecoboost with 9200# tow package
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 01:29 PM   #3

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Oh Sharon you have a common problem showing up on trailers all over America! or at least three of my camping buddies. LOL

The problem is as suggested is due to different sized nut/heads on the plugs - especially if the plug has been replaced at any time. Different manufactures make them in different sizes some metric some inches and if I am not mistaken there at least two different nut/head sizes in inches found on out trailers now.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 01:52 PM   #4

Registry
I btw gave up on packing a special sock wrench to do the job but picked up a tire iron that had 4 different size lugs ends on it - one works for the trailer wheels and the other for the heater plug. The ultimate multi tasking tool for a small trailer that earns the space it takes up.
Old 10-31-2013, 02:14 PM   #5

Texas
thx folks. Carol, what SIZE would you replace your plug with if you needed a new one? It seems Atwood's most popular plug size is 1/2". Is the size of the plug "supposedly" the same size as the tool needed to remove it? I can't find any 7/8" plugs anywhere online.

S.
Old 10-31-2013, 02:15 PM   #6

Name: gary
Trailer: 16' 1998 Scamp
Minnesota
Registry
Do you need a new plug or a new wrench? I just grabbed the hex-head with my vise grip and gave it a twirl to loosen it. I then used my fingers to unscrew it the rest of the way. Reverse the process to put the plug back in.
fusedlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 02:21 PM   #7

Texas
Gary, BOTH. The PO chewed up the nylon plug head with God knows what tool he used to remove it. He's a cop, so maybe he shot it.
Old 10-31-2013, 02:27 PM   #8

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonM View Post
thx folks. Carol, what SIZE would you replace your plug with if you needed a new one? It seems Atwood's most popular plug size is 1/2". Is the size of the plug "supposedly" the same size as the tool needed to remove it? I can't find any 7/8" plugs anywhere online.

S.
Well I'm not near the trailer to pull mine out to measure it but I am pretty sure mine is a 1/2" plug as well. Its the head/nut the you screw off that seems to be of slightly different sizes of late not the plug itself ...... although the actual plug part may be 1/2" the head/nut may not be as Scamp mentions 7/8" which is why the PO may have stripped the head trying to get it off.
Old 10-31-2013, 02:38 PM   #9

Registry
BTW when you buy a new one buy yourself a couple of replacements - they are pretty cheap and can be found at pretty well any RV shop. They tend to go flying off into outer space never to be found if the water is still a little warm when you go to drain them, even if you remember to let the pressure off the tank first.

Then take your new plugs to the hardware store to find the socket that fits them well - you will need an extension for the socket wrench as well - which is why I also rather like my multi purpose tire iron for the job. Spent a Saturday after noon recently looking for the right fit socket for the plug out of a friends new to them trailer recently - we have the same hot water tank but the head on the plug was a different size than mine and the others camping with us had a different size again.... kind of weird.
Old 11-02-2013, 05:06 PM   #10

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
7/8" didn't fit mine either...what fit perfectly was a 15/16" deep socket. Just checked online and they all seem to say 1/2". I don't know why Scamp calls it 7/8 because it isn't...now I'm nervous for when mine goes flying off into outer space, as I can see that happening! Also, one poor turn on the socket and I can also see those nylon threads stripping...ugh
CampyTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 05:09 PM   #11

New York
Registry
Yes, I also agree with the other posts. The hex head is probably the 15/16", while the nylon "bolt" part that screws in must be 1/2"...that would be all that makes sense. Just saw a 2 pack of nylon replacement Atwood plugs for $6.79 on Ebay, listed as 1/2". Again, must be the "bolt" part. I had a bee-u-tee-ful fit with the 15/16" deep socket.
Old 11-02-2013, 07:34 PM   #12

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampyTime View Post
7/8" didn't fit mine either...what fit perfectly was a 15/16" deep socket. Just checked online and they all seem to say 1/2". I don't know why Scamp calls it 7/8 because it isn't...
Well Scamp doesnt make the water heaters and may not realize the head size has changed a little on the plug ...... put as I said you can find a number of different head sizes on a 1/2" replacement plug these days.
Old 11-02-2013, 07:38 PM   #13

New York
Registry
I'm sorry. Was just trying to help.
Old 11-02-2013, 08:07 PM   #14

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
1/2" would refer to pipe thread size, which is not the actual diameter measurement.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 08:28 PM   #15

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampyTime View Post
I'm sorry. Was just trying to help.
Why be sorry? You did Help!! You confirmed that I am not the only one that has found a plug head not to be 7/8" as Scamp suggest it is.
Old 11-03-2013, 11:40 AM   #16

Name: David
Trailer: Escape Trailers
Massachusetts
We have a 2011 5er and when complaining to Scamp about a number of problems, I told them that the plug head was 15/16", not 7/8", they said they knew, but hadn't had time to update their owner's manual. When replacing a plug, I'd buy a 1/2" and then determine what size socket fit it. The 1/2" seems to be a standard, but the outer size seems to vary.
Stretcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 11:41 AM   #17

Texas
Thanks David.

S.

Tags
scamp