Does anyone tow a 16' or 17' with a car? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-23-2007, 08:32 AM   #15

Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Registry
I towed my 13 with a unibody Element.

Honda Ridgeline is Unibody I believe (Which, for some reason or other.. probably stubborn tradition..folks think that doesn't make it a "real" truck) 5k tow rating.

For our little rigs.. is it really an issue?

Old 06-23-2007, 12:42 PM   #16

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Quote:
I towed my 13 with a unibody Element.

Honda Ridgeline is Unibody I believe (Which, for some reason or other.. probably stubborn tradition..folks think that doesn't make it a "real" truck) 5k tow rating.

For our little rigs.. is it really an issue?
Actually, it isn't -- The issues were decided by the vehicle maker's engineers (wih input from the marketeers, no doubt) and the results are published in the Owner's Manual.

Second guessing the engineers with thoughts on number of engine cylinders, transmission types, tow geometry and frame construction are things some of us like to do, but that doesn't change the set limits, just may serve to explain them.

Old 06-23-2007, 05:08 PM   #17

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Quote:
Right. To further define "design intent" the following personal opinions may apply:...
[b]Sport Utility Vehicle or Van, unibody construction: passenger and cargo transport, moderate trailer towing?
[b]C1 through C3, first three generations of Corvette, body on ladder frame construction (plus big V8, rear drive): impressing members of the opposite gender

I agree that a Cadillac convertible is not likely designed with the intent to tow, but neither is a Corvette... the construction method (unibody or body-on-frame) isn't a great single indicator of capability, but a look under the back at specific structural details may provide some indication.

One hint would be the availability of hitches. 2" hitch receivers with capacity well beyond the vehicles rating are readily available for common front-drive unibody minivans, and simply bolt into the six provided threaded mounting points; on the other hand, I can't find a hitch anymore for our Honda CRX, and even when they were made their attachment system included some sort of clamp onto what was supposed to be a tie-down point.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 07:41 AM   #18

Name: Darin
Trailer: 1999 17 ft Burro
I tow our 17' Burro with our 98 Bonnie. I did add a tranny cooler. Haven't been out of state (FL) with it yet but plan on going to the Keys this summer (600 miles one way) which will be the longest distance it has been towed todate.