does NADA guide undervalue fiberglass eggs - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-09-2019, 01:50 PM   #1

Name: lloyd
Trailer: 2009 13 ft Trillium (USA)
Ohio
does NADA guide undervalue fiberglass eggs

Folks,

I am trying to establish a fair price to sell my 2009 13 ft. Trillium with no AC or bath. I hardly used it over the past 10 years and it's in excellent condition. You can see it in 3 different ads so I could show more pictures. Since my Trillium is not listed in the NADA guide, I used a similar Casita in '09. The estimate it's worth around $5000. That seems awfully low. I am asking $11,500. I want to be realistic about the price. Am I way too high? Any suggestions about a price that you believe will fetch a buyer without me giving it away.

lloyd cicetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 02:09 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
NADA is very low. I would search the sale archives here and at fiberglass-rv-4sale.com, looking for similar units for sale over the last few years. Yours is a pretty rare model- is it a Trillium Outback or a Trillium Sidekick? Values are pretty similar for both. Location and season also factor in: spring is higher than fall, and large urban areas on the coasts tend to fetch premium prices.

Best wishes on your research and sale!

Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 02:27 PM   #3

Ohio
Jon, it's a custom build by a guy named Tom Young who had the rights to the original Trillium molds made in Markham, Ontario in the 70's and early 80's. If you don't mind, could you look at my ad and give me an honest estimate? It really is a nice rig with custom 2 way shades and cabinetry. I will check out the archives as you suggested...thanks for your input...Lloyd in Columbus Ohio
Old 05-09-2019, 02:28 PM   #4

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
NADA means nada when it comes to all-molded-towables. It's due to the fact, so very many trailers are through private sales and there's no way for NADA to track actual sale prices.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 02:35 PM   #5

Name: Steve
Trailer: Hymer Touring GT
Loon Lake Wa. and Boulder City, Nv.
Registry
The only good thing about NADA is that when you go to the DMV they look up the value and tax you accordingly. If they want to tell me my trailer is worth $1500 I'm not going to argue with them.
Old 05-09-2019, 03:24 PM   #6

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hammel View Post
The only good thing about NADA is that when you go to the DMV they look up the value and tax you accordingly. If they want to tell me my trailer is worth $1500 I'm not going to argue with them.
The bad thing is insurance companies use it too. That means the fight is on!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 04:01 PM   #7

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by lloyd cicetti View Post
Jon, it's a custom build by a guy named Tom Young who had the rights to the original Trillium molds made in Markham, Ontario in the 70's and early 80's. If you don't mind, could you look at my ad and give me an honest estimate? It really is a nice rig with custom 2 way shades and cabinetry. I will check out the archives as you suggested...thanks for your input...Lloyd in Columbus Ohio
Tom Young sounds like Trillium Sidekick. Maybe this was built before that venture. Does it have jalousie windows front and back? You might do some searching for Trillium Sidekicks and see how yours compares. They would be newer, of course.

Iíll also take a look at your ad because Iím curious, but my lawyerly temperament hesitates to get too specific on value.
Old 05-09-2019, 04:38 PM   #8

Name: Steve
Trailer: Hymer Touring GT
Loon Lake Wa. and Boulder City, Nv.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
The bad thing is insurance companies use it too. That means the fight is on!
Not to mention if you needed to have a bank fund it.
Old 05-09-2019, 05:23 PM   #9

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19; 1977 Trillium 1300
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
On the modern stuff, no AC and no bath are big negatives.

I would go to fiberglass rv for sale site as well and look at sold trailers.

Ultimately, the market decides. We are entering prime camping season, so if interest doesn't pick up, then price should be adjusted.

On a niche product like a FG trailer, NADA should be ignored. Sadly, buyers may refer to it and bring it up.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 06:07 PM   #10

Arizona
Registry
Lack of a bath is not a big drawback in a 13í trailer, and the front dinette is desirable. Agree lack of A/C may be a drawback in the Midwest.
Old 05-10-2019, 04:05 AM   #11
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by lloyd cicetti View Post
Folks,

I am trying to establish a fair price to sell my 2009 13 ft. Trillium with no AC or bath. I hardly used it over the past 10 years and it's in excellent condition. You can see it in 3 different ads so I could show more pictures. Since my Trillium is not listed in the NADA guide, I used a similar Casita in '09. The estimate it's worth around $5000. That seems awfully low. I am asking $11,500. I want to be realistic about the price. Am I way too high? Any suggestions about a price that you believe will fetch a buyer without me giving it away.
I've got a 2010 also sold by Tom Young. The trailers were made, at least in part, by various outfits including Escape. Mine was made by Mattman Specialty in southern California. Sidekick came later (2014 I think) but using the same molds. Considering that Trilliums made 40 years ago by the original manufacture in Ontario are selling for up to $7000, I would say your price is a good starting point assuming the trailer is in good shape. The frame is stronger, the axle shouldn't need replacing, and it comes with the Dometic 3 burner stove sink combo that is very popular. Unlike the Outback, it comes with jalousie windows on all four sides. And since you are the original owner, it won't be filled with multiple owner mods and fixes.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 06:29 AM   #12

Ohio
Jon, Tom Young was on his own in 2007 and 08 when he started putting a few together. Mine was one of about 5 protypes that he built himself before he sold the molds to Sidekick or Outback, I'm not really sure. Yes, it has the jalousie windows which are really nice. So far one ad got 125 views in 36 hrs. but no one is "watching". Would you guess that's because the price may be too high?
Old 05-10-2019, 06:32 AM   #13

Ohio
Raz, I have emailed Tom Young a number of times to order a part but he never replies. His website, TrilliumRV is still up and running and he sells parts. Do you know if he is no longer in business? Do you think $11,500 is reasonable? If not, I will take advice and lower the price if necessary.
Old 05-10-2019, 06:51 AM   #14

Arizona
Registry
The whole history of Tom Young and his several attempts to revive the original Trillium is a bit of a muddle in my mind. They were built in CA for a while, then in AZ, and then in AL, though I donít know if any were ever sold there before he folded. A good trailer that didnít quite get off the ground. Websites often get left up long after a small business closes.

Trilliums are a premium design, and they have always cost more than a Boler or Scamp, limiting their market. If you are looking for a quick sale, you might have to come down. Something just under $10K would get a lot more people interested.

But in my opinion the value is there to justify your price, and if you are patient (and take some better interior photos that highlight the premium features and design), I think you can get close to your asking price. Pictures make or break an ad: marketing 101.