Dometic 2410 igniter repair question - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-26-2015, 10:57 AM   #1

Name: Morgan
Trailer: Scamp 16
Colorado
Dometic 2410 igniter repair question

I have the 2410 model in my 2014 Scamp 16'. The igniter button has begun to fail mechanically. It will "catch" once and fire the igniter, but after that it fails to catch. When it fails I can feel it trying to catch, but it will not do so. Often, one shot at this is not enough. SO, I set out to try to get access to the igniter button on the front of the fridge. I was able to remove the door and gain access to the front control panel, but after removing all visible fasteners, the control panel will not come out. At this point my glasses started to fog up. I learned long ago that when that happens it means I'm about to break something or do something else stupid, so I stopped and put everything back where it belongs.

I guess my question is, is there a way to remove the control panel to access this button mechanism so that I can replace it without removing the fridge from the camper?

I have discovered that I can manually light the burner from outside the camper if someone holds the gas button down inside for me, which is a viable "plan B", but I'd prefer to have it work as it should.

Any comments on this are greatly appreciated.
Morganza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 12:05 PM   #2

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
But you might check out the cost of a replacement igniter before you return to removing that one. Plan "B" has been in use on mine since I found out that a new part was well over $100.

But it wouldn't hurt to contact Dometic Customer Service and find out if there is a recall or any warranty on that part. Dometic parts usually don't fail that soon. They will want the serial number when you call.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 12:52 PM   #3

Colorado
Thanks Bob. Good info and advice. I'm going to contact Dometic.
Old 10-01-2015, 05:42 AM   #4

Name: rick
Trailer: Escape 17B
Colorado
From the outside try pushing up on the lower left-hand housing. If it moves a half inch+/-, then find something to prop it up and try the ignition. That worked on mine and I found a small ceramic door knob to serve as a permanent prop and now my refrigerator ignites with relative ease.
rick in arvada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 05:43 AM   #5

Name: rick
Trailer: Escape 17B
Colorado
SORRY - not lower left-hand, but rather lower right-hand housing.
rick in arvada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 08:15 AM   #6

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick in arvada View Post
SORRY - not lower left-hand, but rather lower right-hand housing.
That makes more sense. The Button is on the right side of the unit when viewed from outside. I'll give it a try today.
Actually, I found out that the unit is still in warranty until Jan '16. The warranty requires that the unit be serviced/inspected yearly, which I did not do. If Dometic decides to deny warranty service because of this, then your suggestion may be my only solution. I don't have any reason to believe they will do this except that the annual service requirement was printed in BOLD! They were very nice on the phone, but who knows? I have a service appointment in mid-October. I'll ask them about this before I go. They know more about Dometic policies than I do. Thanks.

-Morgan in Fort Collins
Old 10-01-2015, 09:41 AM   #7

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
I would not worry about the lack of yearly inspections. The Magnesson-Moss (sp?) bill on warranties requires that any denials be linked to warranty requirements. In other words, not having the annual inspection had to contribute/cause to the problem.

Google and print out the information on the bill and take that with you. All should be fine, but don't try any temporary repairs, as that may effect warranty.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 10:04 AM   #8

Colorado
Bob, I was thinking the same thing, that this issue has nothing to do with lack of inspections. I didn't know there were laws covering this, however. Once again, I will follow both of your suggestions. Thank you SO much.