Dometic AC Chirping, Scamp 2014 - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-20-2018, 03:30 PM   #21

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Here is FAQ for Safe-T-Alert propane detector.

And a reminder that the unit needs replacement five years after installation ( not after manufacture ). Soon as you connect to power, the clock starts ticking to replacemnt.

https://www.stadealer.com/faq.html#replace
Old 10-21-2018, 12:50 AM   #22

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Scamper View Post
That is something good to keep in mind since I was not aware that the trailer may have a propane gas detector. However, I disconnected and removed the two gas tanks when I put the trailer in storage, as well as the battery.
A 2014 TT will have a LP detector in it from the factory. My Casita was hard wired so there wasn't a 9V battery to contend with but with a 5 year "life span" it may chirp to tell you it's life span is up. It will be located anywhere around your cabinets no more than 6" off the floor. Bigger question Vee, have you taken the roof air cover off yet to see if there is anything in there that's not supposed to be?
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 06:40 AM   #23

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
A 2014 TT will have a LP detector in it from the factory. ...
No. His is a 2014 Scamp. Mine is a 2015 Scamp and the factory did not put in propane /LP detectors in those years, only CO detector.

Still, I'm sure there is a battery operated alarm in there he just has not found yet
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 04:09 PM   #24

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
No. His is a 2014 Scamp. Mine is a 2015 Scamp and the factory did not put in propane /LP detectors in those years, only CO detector.
Still, I'm sure there is a battery operated alarm in there he just has not found yet
Thanks for the heads up Gordon. I'm surprised Scamp doesn't add them automatically in any TT that goes out the door with LP installed.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 04:42 PM   #25

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
Thanks for the heads up Gordon. I'm surprised Scamp doesn't add them automatically in any TT that goes out the door with LP installed.
I was too and quickly added one myself. Also added a smoke alarm that chirps when the battery is low.

I think they do include a LP alarm now (but i'm not 100% certain).
Old 10-24-2018, 12:15 PM   #26

Name: Larry
Trailer: Casita17'Spirit Deluxe (aka: Tweaker's Casita)
Southwest Ohio
Registry
Not sure if I should relate a similar situation from my 2007 Casita Spirit Deluxe to your 2014 Scamp but, after my Casita was in storage for 2˝ months, I had a steady chirping sound. At first I thought that it was the usual low battery warning from the smoke alarm which is above the cabinets on the side table across from the fridge.

The problem turned out to be the propane/CO2 detector which, in the Casita, is on the floor sidewall () under the dinette in the back of the Casita. That detector is hardwired to the battery and is "online" 24x7. After several weeks in storage, it had drained the battery down and it proceeded to chirp to "warn" me that the low battery was jeopardizing its operation. The Casita spec says that it draws .05a of power which, on its own, would drain the battery after 1700 hours (approx 70 days).

The solution was to disconnect the battery and put it on a charger. The long-term fix was to install a cut-off type connector on the battery that I use to disconnect the battery when putting the RV into storage for any period of time when I insure that my propane tanks are completely shut off.
LarryB. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 04:15 PM   #27

Name: Vee
Trailer: Scamp
Virginia
To all of you who suggested a CO alarm with dead batteries, you were right. I just could not find it because it was not on the wall, but attached to the side of a seat 2 inches from the floor in the tiny 6 ft X 2ft hallway. I found it by chance while I was sweeping the floor. I had never noticed it before. We replaced the battery and it stopped chirping. Thanks to all that replied to my post.

Camping this time was a working vacation trying to fix many things that were not working. The major one was the fridge. After getting to the campground, we noticed the fridge had died and ammonia was leaking. The ammonia odor was more pronounced when we had an electric heater warming up the trailer as we slept. But thanks to God we survived. We will be taking it to a Dometic service center. I was told that the cooling mechanism was about $800.00 plus labor and a new fridge about $1500. Is that a fair price or should I shop around?
Happy Scamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 04:56 PM   #28

North Carolina
I wonder if the fridge was damaged by Michael. Might be an insurance claim if you have appropriate coverage and the deductible is low enough.

Before thinking about repair / replacement, first ask yourself if you need an absorption fridge. If you boon-dock without shore power, and you dont want to set up a solar system with expanded battery capacity, then the answer is likely yes. On the other hand, if you almost always have shore power, or are willing to go solar with more battery, then a Danfoss/Secomp type fridge might be better.
Old 11-13-2018, 02:05 PM   #29

Virginia
My Scamp does not have one either. Having a gas furnace, stove, fridge and water heater running with propane, they should have it installed, or offer it as optional. But this little egg is so small that there is no room for anything else. We chose it because we thought it would be easier to pull. And it is, but is not so easy to back it into a campsite at least for novices like us.
Old 11-13-2018, 02:46 PM   #30

Virginia
It was in February when a band of thunderstorms passed by the area with tornado warnings, that I think it may have happened. I found out that the damage to the cooling unit was on the bottom coils. I suspect that when the high winds blew the tongue off its support the tongue hit the concrete really hard making the fridge bounce causing the damage to the bottom coil where the leak developed. Unfortunately, I am not sure the insurance will pay for the damage when it happened we found out only recently. In addition we already made a claim to repair damages to the trailer in 2017 when another driver in a NJ interstate gouged the side of our car and the side of the trailer with its mirror from head to tail; not our fault but both insurance companies payed for their own client.
Old 11-13-2018, 03:19 PM   #31

Trailer: 2002 16 ft Scamp
Vee, sounds like you've had a run of bad to worse luck. I'd suggest giving your insurance agent a call and discussing the situation with him/her. They should be able to advise you if your rates will go up as a result of this claim. We had the 6.0 fridge in our 01 19' Scamp last year by a rv shop here in eastern NC. Cost was around $1200 IIRC.

What part of VA is home? We're in northeastern NC; if you ever have plans to visit the OBX, give us a heads up as we camp there fairly often.
Al and Cindy K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 06:52 PM   #32

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Road Trip

Scamp has the best prices on appliances, shipping not so much. Next spring you can take a vacation trip to Backus. They will probably install it for less than shipping. We made 2 week trip around Lake Michigan from Va. this spring, we really had a good time. You can at least use their prices to shop and deal with. You should give them a call and see what they have to say.

Eddie
https://www.scamptrailers.com/parts-...or-detail.html
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 07:23 AM   #33

Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al & Cindy K View Post
Vee, sounds like you've had a run of bad to worse luck. I'd suggest giving your insurance agent a call and discussing the situation with him/her. They should be able to advise you if your rates will go up as a result of this claim. We had the 6.0 fridge in our 01 19' Scamp last year by a rv shop here in eastern NC. Cost was around $1200 IIRC.

What part of VA is home? We're in northeastern NC; if you ever have plans to visit the OBX, give us a heads up as we camp there fairly often.
Thank you Al for sharing your experience. We are close to Richmond. I will talk with my insurance agent. We have a $500 deductible.
Old 11-14-2018, 11:20 AM   #34

Trailer: 2002 16 ft Scamp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Scamper View Post
Thank you Al for sharing your experience. We are close to Richmond. I will talk with my insurance agent. We have a $500 deductible.
Wishing you the best on getting the fridge fixed. Even with the deductible, repair or replace may not be a bad option if your rates don't increase. These things are darned expensive but we seldom camp with hookups and use ours on almost every trip. We're just a couple of hours south of you off I-95.
Al and Cindy K is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp