Dometic cooling problem using propane - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-28-2014, 02:56 PM   #1

Name: Pat
Trailer: Casita 17'
California
Dometic cooling problem using propane

2001 17' Casita
Dometic RM2354 3 way refrigerator

Situation/Problem: frig works great on 110V AC, however, propane doesn't cool the frig section. (Never use the DC setting)

The propane setting does not get the frig section cold: thermostat set at Max and after a 20 hour test period, the frig section went from a starting temp of 77F to 44F. The freezer went from 78F to -3F. The freezer actual got down to 13F in 5 hours. Ambient temps were 70F to 80F. When the ambient temps are in the mid 90's, the frig can't get below 60F.

The 110V AC operation is fine. After the above test period, I set the 'fuel' to AC and the thermostat to 5. In two hours, the frig section went from 44F to 20F and freezer from -3 to -10F.

Gas pressure at the test port is 11.2" water. Gas orifice was cleaned and appears in tack. Burner was cleaned and appears to be in good shape-no visible damage. I assume the gas flame height is ok since the pressure is 11.2". There's no yellow color in flame.

In my mind, the thermistor is ruled out as well as the thermostat since AC cooling works. However, a faulty thermostat haunts me??

Is a dirty flue possibly the cause of poor propane cooling, especially in the frig section? On the Casita, I'll have to drill out 18 rivets attaching the upper cooling vent in order to get to the top of the flue.

Any thoughts or comments would be most appreciated.
yolofitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 05:59 PM   #2

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by yolofitz View Post
Is a dirty flue possibly the cause of poor propane cooling, especially in the frig section? On the Casita, I'll have to drill out 18 rivets attaching the upper cooling vent in order to get to the top of the flue.

Any thoughts or comments would be most appreciated.
Yes a dirty flue or burner could cause the problem and sadly I need to do the same to get at the top of flue on my Scamp as well...... they do not make it easy.

I have found on mine that it does not run well when set at MAX when on propane - better at about 5 - perhaps one or two higher in real warm weather. If set at Max the freezer tends to freeze up which does interfere with fridge performance on propane.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane