Dometic Fridge - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-21-2006, 08:16 AM   #1

Trailer: Scamp
I have a hard time seeing the reflection of the burner in the fridge. Is there anyway I can solve this problem?
Also can I light the burner from the back with a match? does the button in the front have to be held?
Could I use one of those outdoor thermometers(too hot??)?
Thanks for any help

Old 06-21-2006, 09:13 AM   #2

Trailer: 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Your questions would be really hard to answer without knowing the make and model of your refrigerator.

Old 06-21-2006, 02:28 PM   #3

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
I'm guessing that this is a Dometic refrigerator like the RM 360 in my B1700, and my comments apply specifically to that design. The window showing a reflection of the flame (left of the controls on the panel) on the front (interior side) of the unit is really nice because it allows me to know when I have it lit, but it is really hard to see in daylight conditions.

Others have suggesting using something to block outside light from coming in the vent side, but I have not tried this, and would be concerned about blocking airflow.

There are two buttons inside: one held in to supply gas as if for a pilot light until the flame is established, and one "clicker" to make a spark to ignite the flame. I have lit mine with a lighter from the outside, but the "pilot" button does have to be held in to supply gas, so this should be a two-person exercise (I cheated by propping the button in with something, but this is overriding a safety feature and I do not advise it).
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 08:42 AM   #4

Quote:
I'm guessing that this is a Dometic refrigerator like the RM 360 in my B1700, and my comments apply specifically to that design. The window showing a reflection of the flame (left of the controls on the panel) on the front (interior side) of the unit is really nice because it allows me to know when I have it lit, but it is really hard to see in daylight conditions.

Others have suggesting using something to block outside light from coming in the vent side, but I have not tried this, and would be concerned about blocking airflow.

There are two buttons inside: one held in to supply gas as if for a pilot light until the flame is established, and one "clicker" to make a spark to ignite the flame. I have lit mine with a lighter from the outside, but the "pilot" button does have to be held in to supply gas, so this should be a two-person exercise (I cheated by propping the button in with something, but this is overriding a safety feature and I do not advise it).
Thanks for the reply. I guess I will have to try to light it and open the back and check for heat at burner. My Donetic is a 2410 but is the same as yours.
If they would only have put a sensor and an led it would be so simple.
Old 06-22-2006, 09:10 AM   #5

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
This manual is for the 2400, but maybe give you some help

From the Document Center: Dometic Refer 2400

Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 09:23 AM   #6

Trailer: Former Casita 17 ft owner
If your refrigerator is not lighting and you have gas to the unit, you might check that the spark gap (the distance between the igniter electrode and the burner) is 3/16".

Having checked the gap, have someone push the piezo igniter button repeatedly while you observe the electrode to be sure it is sparking.

You'll have to remove a small baffle to see the burner and igniter electrode.
Old 06-22-2006, 10:47 AM   #7

Name: Patrick
Trailer: 2007 Casita Liberty (Sold 2011)/ Honda Odyssey
Arizona
I have the 2193. I have found the peephole to be totally useless. I can usually hear the "pop" of the pilot light, but occassionally environmental noise combined with the buzzing in my ear combine to prevent hearing that. So my final test to confirm it's lit is to put my hand on the "chimney" after a few minutes to see if it's heating up.

The key to getting it lit for me is to hold down the setting button for say 5 seconds before pushing the ignition button three times and listening for the "pop".
Old 06-22-2006, 04:13 PM   #8

Trailer: Former Casita 17 ft owner
Quote:
This manual is for the 2400, but maybe give you some help

From the Document Center: Dometic Refer 2400

Donna, I have the Service Tips Manual and the Diagnostic Manual (PDF) from Dometic for several RM series refrigerators.

If you're in charge of the Document Center, I can email them to you.
Old 06-22-2006, 08:33 PM   #9

Name: Gigi
Trailer: Love Bug 1974, Eriba Puck 1972
Arizona, Minnesota & Va
I have a small mirror that I use to help see the small flame through the peephole. The suggestion to hold the priming button in to allow plenty of gas to feed is very important. I think I hold mine in almost 10 seconds and then press the ignite button.

These can be a challenge at first but is a breeze after you've done it a few times.

Now, have you read about the importance of having a level trailer?
Old 06-24-2006, 10:02 AM   #10

Quote:
I have a small mirror that I use to help see the small flame through the peephole. The suggestion to hold the priming button in to allow plenty of gas to feed is very important. I think I hold mine in almost 10 seconds and then press the ignite button.

These can be a challenge at first but is a breeze after you've done it a few times.

Now, have you read about the importance of having a level trailer?
The wire broke off the electrode which I fixed. I wll try the mirror and the 5 - 10 second hold on the button. Thanks for the reply to everyone.
Old 06-24-2006, 10:33 AM   #11

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
I have a hard time seeing the reflection of the burner in the fridge.
I have the same type of situation as you, but I deduced that my problem was too much ambient light inside my trailer. My Fantastic-Fan / vent lets daylight shine right on the little viewer sometimes. I have to shade it with my hand to be able to tell if it's lit sometimes.

Quote:
The wire broke off the electrode which I fixed.
Old 06-25-2006, 10:07 PM   #12

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
When I first started using my fridge, last year. It would light for a minute and then go out. It would do this several times before it would stay light. Now, once I have the trailer level, I go inside and light the stove for a minute or so. This clears any air pockets that may have formed in the gas line. It still may take a few tries to get the fridge primed and light, but it usually stays light.

Fred
Old 06-26-2006, 02:01 PM   #13

Quote:
When I first started using my fridge, last year. It would light for a minute and then go out. It would do this several times before it would stay light. Now, once I have the trailer level, I go inside and light the stove for a minute or so. This clears any air pockets that may have formed in the gas line. It still may take a few tries to get the fridge primed and light, but it usually stays light.

Fred
I have to light the stove before my fridge or heater will work. Nature of the beast.

Tags
fridge