Dometic Fridge Help - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-28-2014, 06:08 PM   #15
Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
Going all the way back to the starter thread.

The absorbtion refrigerator does not make your beer cold by making frost. If it is making a lot of frost it usually indicates that your door seal is leaking air and, in that case, it will never get really cold. In fact, just like in your old home refrigerator, frost on the cooling coils actually reduced the efficiency of the refrigerator.

The Model; 23 was the original refrigerator in your Boler, I had the same one in my 1973 Hunter until recently and it worked fine until I pulled it for one with more inside space but, that said, I hardly ever saw any frost on the freezer section.

I suggest that you look at the seal around the door and also check and see if the door itself might be warped. Go around the edge of the door and if you can easily slide a 3x5" card in between the door seal and the case, air can get by as well.

What else helps is to use extra latches on the door, one at the top and one at the bottom, to keep is sealed when closed.

But also keep in mind, it is 40+ years old and was very sensitive to be running out of level over it's life.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 07:07 PM   #16
Name: Pete & Kathy
Trailer: 1972 Boler
Hi Bob,
I am so glad I joined this site for brainstorming-its great. Thankfully hubby is handy, so we will definitely be paying attention to the door/seal , as we plan on removing the fridge to give it some needed tlc. Hopefully it will function better after that. We are camping this week and just using coolers.

Take Care and thanks for the advice!!

Pete and Kathy C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 12:38 PM   #17
Name: Richard
Trailer: Boler
British Columbia
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
Richard, The gas in the fridge is ammonia, with traces of hydrogen. I don't believe there is a danger of combustion. I have never heard of a leaking fridge causing any problems, other than a non working fridge. There are probably thousands of RM211's being used today. The PO was over cautious.

If it works, use it.
Thanks everyone! I took the plunge.. leak tested everything.. and after several attempts got the old beast and in less than an hour.. COOOLD!!! So pleased... appreciate the encouragment!

IslandBlue is offline   Reply With Quote