Dometic Fridge propane meter not working - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2014, 01:49 PM   #1

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2001 Spirit Deluxe 17" K5NAN
Texas
Dometic Fridge propane meter not working

I have noticed that my "lit" meter indicator is not working although the unit does light and the burner does stay lit. My gut feeling tells me that it is probably just a loose connection from the meter to where it attaches at the coupler point or ground and picks up the minute voltage. Its rare that I have seen meters go bad. With that being said, it looks like its is a bear to take the fridge far enough out to where I can look down at the top of the unit and verify the connections. Once its out I can check voltages and meter function if needed. I don't see a part number for that small meter anywhere.

Has anyone suffered the same issue? Anyone slipped the fridge out? RM2543 3 way.

I was thinking out loud that I could put in another extra thermocouple sensor and then figure out a circuit to snake up through the cabinet and show an LED lit or something rather than try and remove that puppy. Perhaps have a relay ckt powered up to drive a red or green super LED.

Any thoughts or suggestions?
THANKS
If you Rest, You Rust
GMike A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 02:40 PM   #2

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Mike does it not have an outside top vent you could remove in order to clearly see the top of the fridge
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 03:23 PM   #3

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Some older Dometics had a Lucite rod that passed from the in side of the cabinet to the flame area. You could see the flame in the end of the rod from the inside when it was lit.

Others you just put your hand on the outside of the flame box to see if it was warm/hot

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 04:19 PM   #4

Texas
The top side is riveted in with about 30 rivets. Why they didn't just use the capture lugs like they did on the bottom is beyond me. I guess its labor costs vs design. JMO
If you Rest, You Rust
Old 09-21-2014, 11:30 AM   #5
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Best guess

I did a search for an RM 2543 and couldn't find any thing. As such I'm guessing this is not a bottom of the line fridge and most likely has electronic control while on gas. If so there will be a circuit between the thermocouple and the safety valve. If the gas stays lit, that circuit is working. The voltage for the meter is probably obtained from that circuit. A loose wire would be my first thought. It is common practice to put a pair of diodes across the meter terminals for meter protection. I've had those short. If you have them, you must remove them to test. 1n914, 1n4148 is what I use. If it turns out to be the meter itself, they are not hard to find. Good luck, Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 12:37 PM   #6

Texas
I have the schematic and its a simple pick off from the Thermocouple to the gas control valve. I will see if I can find what it takes to slide it out a foot as the controls are on the top - that was my main concern and issue.
thanks for all the inputs.
If you Rest, You Rust
Old 09-21-2014, 04:34 PM   #7
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
I bet you meant RM 2453

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3756389623.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	128.1 KB
ID:	76769

Interesting, they don't show the safety valve. Go figure. 73, Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 04:58 PM   #8

Texas
Yep - dyslexia on my part.. 2453 is the correct fridge. My bad. I have the mechanical blow up and all the relevant valves and parts are mounted topside and inches from the front top panel which makes sense for the pilot gas push to light button.
If you Rest, You Rust

Tags
fridge, propane