Dometic Fridge Temps Warming Up - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-20-2016, 05:21 PM   #15

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
Hi Byron,

Might you share the name of your bug spray?

Sent from my VS985 4G using Fiberglass RV mobile app

Old 07-20-2016, 05:52 PM   #16

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampyTime View Post
Hi Byron,

Might you share the name of your bug spray?

Sure. It's "TERRO" "Spider Killler" it's in an orange can, I get at ACE Hardware.

Steve... I understand. However, there's no reason for the heating element to burn out. The first 5 years of trailer ownership I kept it on all the time when at home, while I was working. The difference is we were out about once a month all year around. Now we're retired about 3 months are spent int the SW and short 1 to 2 weeks for several trips summer and fall. My trailer get used a lot. Good Luck with the spiders the TERRO should help.

Old 07-22-2016, 05:56 PM   #17

Name: Myron
Trailer: 19' Escape
NM
Registry
Here's my experience:

Fridge refuses to cool when on propane. This is new. Just returned from trip and it was working great, on shore power. Once home I decided to test it but using propane. Trailer level, plenty of gas, Piezo flame is present, all Dometic RM8551 front display lights are working. July 21, 2016. On, 5 dots, overnight. No joy in the morning.

Drove to Toms RV in ABQ in search of answers or at least, to gain perspective, on how to deal with this (sic) no-go-pro-paine problem. I dont want to pull the fridge out, nor do I want to hitch up and drive 28 miles, drop off the trailer and then wait 48 to 72+ hours, for maybe a seven minute fix.

Toms refrigerator guy in ABQ was happy to help. Its a very busy shop. He suggested first cleaning out the flue. Things get in there. Then, he said use a manometer to check the pressure in the system. Maybe the pilot light isnt right. A manometer measures pressure in units of water column inches. He said, propane appliances in the RV are designed to operate at 10.5 to 11 of water column. My eyes began to water.

Clean the um, flue, you say? He took me to the shop floor. A Dometic fridge pulled from some big rig was sitting there. The flue is a pipe in back running vertically up from the Piezo ignition. I got it. I could do that. Ill try cleaning the flue.

Back at home. Access to the flue for cleaning becomes less simple then I thought. One screw removed the plate shielding the Piezo ignition but how do I get a brush up past the Piezo and up the flue pipe? I feared mis-aligning these parts. But then, another screw removed and the Piezo dropped down clearing a way to shove a hose up the flue. Hose was attached to my little airbrush compressor. I worked the hose all the way up and down, then for good measure did it again but attached to a shop vac. Biggest disappointment was no bug bodies mouse eggs or web nets came out. Have no clue what blocked the flue.

Flue job done by 2 PM. Fridge now turned on, to 5 dots on propane, and it is 76F in there. Bob also showed me what they used in the shop to monitor fridge temperature. Real high tech. They get a $6 A/CPRO test thermometer at AutoZone, used for auto air conditioning, drill a 5/16th hole for its stem in a small water bottle cap, fill it with water and seal the thermometer in the plastic bottle. I used a 12 oz. Aquafina because the plastic seemed extra sturdy. Lay it on a shelf. It works, no batteries needed.

Just checked fridge temperature. At 4 PM fridge is 60F and trailer is 88F. At 6 PM fridge is 54F and trailer is 90F. At 9 AM next day fridge is 33F and trailer is 75. All seems good. (?)
Attached Thumbnails
F0003a.jpg  
Old 07-22-2016, 06:28 PM   #18

Name: Gordon
Trailer: Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
I expect you will give "Tom’s refrigerator guy in ABQ" as much business as you can.. that is an amazing level of service.

And yes, it seems to be performing as it should.
Old 07-22-2016, 08:15 PM   #19

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
Wonderful! Congrats and kudos to your RV guy for his time and expertise

Tags
fridge