Dometic fridge working on propane but..... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2006, 09:29 AM   #1

Trailer: '77 Triple E Surfside
Interesting thing happened last night. In getting my SurfSide ready for a quick one night camping trip this weekend, I decided to test the fridge on propane. I had already taken it out and turned it every which way for hours on end while being plugged in and it just was not cooling. I basically wrote it off.
In the meantime I picked up an older bar fridge for real cheap and decided I'd use that instead and simply never have the ability to run my fridge off of propane. In other words I'd be hooped if I ever camped somewhere without electricity. Not a huge problem since we usually camp for 3-4 days at a time.

ANyway - I decided that I'd try the frige on propane. The tank is from the 60's and I triple checked for leaks, it looked good. So I lit the pilot light (which still worked with the ignitor button, I thought for sure I'd be sticking a little burning stick in there) and not 20 min. later the fridge freezer was Super cold. Left it on for almost 2 hours and had a super cold fridge.

So, that being said I turned it off, checked the plug in with my work light and it worked. So I now I have power running to the outlet. I plugged in the fridge and left it on overnight. Nothing this a.m. - not even remotley cold. I had switched the device in the back to run from elec. and double checked Everything.

Does anyone have some good hints, tips, tricks or suggestions as to what's wrong. I did hear something click a minute or so after I changed the control to elec. so I wonder if something is burned out like a solonoid (spelling ?)
ericmarlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 10:08 AM   #2

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
probably the electric element is burned out. Look in the document centre and see if a manual is available for your fridge, or look on the fridge itself for a wiring diagram, and trace out the electric circuit looking for the problem.

Joe
Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 10:13 AM   #3

Trailer: '77 Triple E Surfside
Quote:
probably the electric element is burned out. Look in the document centre and see if a manual is available for your fridge, or look on the fridge itself for a wiring diagram, and trace out the electric circuit looking for the problem.

Joe

Right on - I just checked out the document center and printed off the manual for the exact 1977 Dometic fridge. Very excited to see that the exact year / make / model manual is on there. I'll have to inspect the wiring.

Hopefully that's all it is.

Thanks so much
ericmarlo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge