Dometic Frig Fixes--what is my model? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-25-2011, 01:17 PM   #1

Name: Jo
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500
Texas
Registry
Dometic Frig Fixes--what is my model?

hello folks, here are a couple of cheap, quick fix-ups that I have been working on, in my '78 Trillium. Some SOS pads and a bit of Brasso really brought back some coppery shine to the original hardware. The latches, hinges etc. pretty much had tarnished so much, that they just blended right in, to the dark doors. I coated the hardware and the laminate doors with about 3 coats of poly sealer. The frig was really funky, gunky, so I removed the door and did a lot of cleaning and spraying of bleach. Inside still not perfect (you can see some rust stains). Used steel wool on the metal casing and then two coats of almond color Rustoleum enamel.

The door panel was warped and the top piece of trim was gone. The hubby cut a piece of plain cheap hardboard to fit. I sprayed it, with several coats of copper color paint and coated with three coats of polyurethane sealer. Actually, looks a lot like a copper panel. We did have to bend up the aluminum side trim, to slide the piece in. When we put it back down, it had pulled away some of the foam insulation, so we filled with glue, strapped and set it up over nite.

So, little frig is looking pretty fresh and it was cheap, cheap.

I would like to replace, what I think is called the travel latch, at the top of the frig door. (Just a plastic piece that swings around). Unfortunately, my serial numbers are not intact. If anyone, has this kind of latch and knows where to order or the model number of the frig in a 1978 Trillium 4500, I sure would appreciate the info. Lovin' this "cramper". JO
Attached Thumbnails
trillycabhandle.jpg   trillyfriginside.jpg  

trillyfrigdoor2.jpg  
Jo R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 07:50 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Jo, nice fix ups! The latch you're referencing is no longer available from Dometic... if it looks like this:

Name:   DometicLatchjpg.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  7.4 KB

You MIGHT try: RV Sales & Service - RV Parts & Repairs - Uxbridge Ontario

If that doesn't work, have you tried fabricating something from a metal bracket or maybe even velcro?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 08:29 PM   #3

Name: Martin
Trailer: Trillium 4500 1977
Quebec
Registry
What you've got is a Dometic RM211, likely original to the trailer.
You are quite lucky it is still working. Replacement is a bit tricky because new models are not the same dimensions http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...0-a-48267.html
Velcro or just about anyhome made latch would do, as long as your door seal shuts tight.

Look at the document section for part listing and manuals. As Donna pointed out, such parts are discontinued for decades. A home made replacement could be made out of a piece of pliable metal such as copper, which is very easy to cut, drill and weld too.
Old 10-25-2011, 08:54 PM   #4

Texas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamimartin View Post
What you've got is a Dometic RM211, likely original to the trailer.
You are quite lucky it is still working. Replacement is a bit tricky because new models are not the same dimensions http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...0-a-48267.html
Velcro or just about anyhome made latch would do, as long as your door seal shuts tight.

Look at the document section for part listing and manuals. As Donna pointed out, such parts are discontinued for decades. A home made replacement could be made out of a piece of pliable metal such as copper, which is very easy to cut, drill and weld too.
Thanks Donna and Martin, for the replys. My latch is cracked and the base has some missing, but it does still hold. Of course, it won't last long, so I will be considering your suggestions. Appreciate you taking time to answer. JO
Old 10-25-2011, 09:02 PM   #5

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
I have a RM2201 model and the latch looks a lot like that - check the part numbers in the part manual for yours and then take a look at the number for the RM2201 they may be the same. If it is the same check the buy and sell section here as there is a party who is selling off the parts for a RM2201. May be worth a try.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 09:10 PM   #6

Texas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
I have a RM2201 model and the latch looks a lot like that - check the part numbers in the part manual for yours and then take a look at the number for the RM2201 they may be the same. If it is the same check the buy and sell section here as there is a party who is selling off the parts for a RM2201. May be worth a try.
Thank you Carol. That is worth checking out. Yes, I am lucky that the frig works (never know for how long). It is working well, at this time, even froze a diet coke that I forgot, and had put in the freezer. It was closed up all day, while we traveled, with no power and I found the cola, still icy, that evening. I'll be checking on those model numbers. JO
Old 10-25-2011, 09:16 PM   #7

Texas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo R. View Post
Thank you Carol. That is worth checking out. Yes, I am lucky that the frig works (never know for how long). It is working well, at this time, even froze a diet coke that I forgot, and had put in the freezer. It was closed up all day, while we traveled, with no power and I found the cola, still icy, that evening. I'll be checking on those model numbers. JO
Big Sigh-h...that seller was nice enough to send me a pic of the latch that he has (2201) and it doesn't match mine.
Mine looks like this
Attached Thumbnails
latchtrilly.jpg  
Old 10-26-2011, 04:22 PM   #8

Trailer: 74 Boler 13 ft / 97 Ford Aerostar
Registry
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo R. View Post
Big Sigh-h...that seller was nice enough to send me a pic of the latch that he has (2201) and it doesn't match mine.
Mine looks like this
There is little chance of finding a new part, but perhaps your local RV fridge place might have some lying around on junk fridges. I also think that if you are handy or have a friend that is, you could make a latch clip out of either plastic or wood that would do the job, especially since you have the original for a model. It would also offer decorating opportunities on a small scale. Finally, perhaps there is a way to reinforce your current one with a glue or plastic welding so that it will last longer. It generally does not have to hold much pressure.

Good Luck
Rick G
Rick G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 04:31 PM   #9

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
We had a similar issue. We put a threaded hook thru where your clip goes. We then drilled a hole into the door and put a stainless screw into the door so it stands up a little above the door. We bought an O-ring at the hardware store and put it between the hook and the screw; they come in all sizes. We then closed the hook end so the O ring wouldn't fall out. Worked great.

Our fridge was not a dometic but a very similar situation.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 08:23 PM   #10

Texas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
We had a similar issue. We put a threaded hook thru where your clip goes. We then drilled a hole into the door and put a stainless screw into the door so it stands up a little above the door. We bought an O-ring at the hardware store and put it between the hook and the screw; they come in all sizes. We then closed the hook end so the O ring wouldn't fall out. Worked great.

Our fridge was not a dometic but a very similar situation.
Gosh, so nice to be around folks that have similar "likes" (that's a nice word for obsession ) as one's self. Thanks for the ideas. I did finally have a mild success with super glue. The top part is one piece, for now. I am going to try some epoxy putty and build up the bottom part a bit, which has been chipped away. When I am not all infatuated with something as interesting as these little campers, I collect and repair old dolls. I have become pretty good at "re-building". Today, I took the cook top to have it sand blasted and powder coated. We didn't like the cost, but I believe it will be good for a long time, so we are gritting our teeth and bearing it. Hubby working on fiberglass repair, where we removed the antenna and then will tackle the exterior lights, etc. Being in Texas, we will have to have it inspected, in order to register it, for the first time. The small projects continue...more to come. JO
Old 10-26-2011, 08:29 PM   #11

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
The one epoxy I would recommend for fixing broken plastics is JB Weld. That stuff is extremely strong and if you have a successful repair, the part will break somewhere else before the JB Weld lets go....
J-B Weld Company - Products Overview

I've used JB Weld for a number of uses, and have successfully drilled new holes through the "weld" and used it for a broken water trap in my Scamp.... no leaks!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 06:47 AM   #12

Texas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
The one epoxy I would recommend for fixing broken plastics is JB Weld. That stuff is extremely strong and if you have a successful repair, the part will break somewhere else before the JB Weld lets go....
J-B Weld Company - Products Overview

I've used JB Weld for a number of uses, and have successfully drilled new holes through the "weld" and used it for a broken water trap in my Scamp.... no leaks!
Good tip, Donna. Funny, how you forget about "things" you have used before to fix things. Probably got some of that around. JO