Dometic frig problem - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-04-2012, 04:00 PM   #1

Name: Rob
Trailer: Scamp 19
California
Dometic frig problem

I have an RM 2410. I was precooling my frig before a short outing and it worked fine. When I got to camp I plugged it in, but later we noticed it was not cooling. I turned on the gas side and it worked. I checked the heater coil with an ohm meter and got 0. I read it should be 30 to 40. # 1 is it the heater? #2 where do I get one?
Rob in Vista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 04:33 PM   #2
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob in Vista View Post
I have an RM 2410. I was precooling my frig before a short outing and it worked fine. When I got to camp I plugged it in, but later we noticed it was not cooling. I turned on the gas side and it worked. I checked the heater coil with an ohm meter and got 0. I read it should be 30 to 40. # 1 is it the heater? #2 where do I get one?
Zero ohms means it is shorted. That would cause the fuse to go so you will have to replace that when you replace the element.

Might try here:
http://www.bellrpg.net/hilltopcamper...C=484&GRP=1464
Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 10:58 AM   #3

California
thank you Raz Where is that fuse? Rob
Old 08-05-2012, 11:15 AM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Rob, see if this manual will help you, I've just added it to the Document Center too.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf DometicRM2410_etc.Manual.pdf (390.9 KB, 9 views)
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 11:39 AM   #5

California
Donna: thank you I have the operating manual but what you sent was so much better! Rob
Old 08-05-2012, 12:12 PM   #6

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
glad to help Rob. When you finally discover the solution, please post the results!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 12:22 PM   #7
Raz

I don't see a fuse in any of the circuit diagrams so there must be a circuit breaker. If your heating element is shorted than there has to be one or the other or your wires would have burnt. Since you said "plugged in" I assumed that the AC element is the problem. The manual show a resistance of 92 ohms. When you did your measurement, was the element completely disconnected from the rest of the circuit? If not, you might want to remeasure. Just a thought. Raz
Old 08-05-2012, 12:39 PM   #8

California
Raz I do have a circuit breaker it still gives me a green light it is a 120 volt. I did remove the wires before testing them zero ohms. I do not like to throw parts at problems but the thermostat worked for gas the switch worked so it must be the heating element. The "plugged in" was at the shore power. thank you for your help Rob
Old 08-05-2012, 12:44 PM   #9
Raz

Quote:
Raz I do have a circuit breaker it still gives me a green light it is a 120 volt. I did remove the wires before testing them zero ohms. I do not like to throw parts at problems but the thermostat worked for gas the switch worked so it must be the heating element. The "plugged in" was at the shore power. thank you for your help Rob
Yea, I bet that's it then. It occurs to me that since that is a current unit, a local RV place might have the element or give you a lead on where to get one locally. I like to go local if possible. Take care, Raz
Old 08-05-2012, 01:11 PM   #10

California
Raz thank you I will call around before using your nice link Rob
Old 08-14-2012, 04:13 PM   #11

California
Well my refrigerator is back working. I first called Dometic they wanted $77.00 for the part and min. $25.00 shipping. then I called the link Raz gave me,no one home. (note: they did call back the next day) I called Camperworld talked to parts and he said he would call back,never did. SO I got on the internet and called PPLmotorhomes they had the part $48.00 shipping was $7.00. I got the part in two days. Now the fun begins, I tested the new part and it read 0 ohm's, bad part? I called PPL and they said it should read 0 ohm's. I looked deeper into the refrigerator and found a broken ground wire, fixed it. I put the old heater element back in and it worked. Called PPl back they are taking back the element. www.pplmotorhomes.com were the best to work with and I thank them. Rob
Old 08-14-2012, 04:22 PM   #12

Name: don
Trailer: 1973 13ft boler
Ontario
Hi We have a 73 Boler that the ignitor brand name Wagon Master went in the little furnace, where would we be able to locate one? Like to do some fall camping but would need the heater.
chuckyback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 05:09 PM   #13
Raz

Quote:
I tested the new part and it read 0 ohm's, bad part? I called PPL and they said it should read 0 ohm's.
The service manual says the AC element should measure 92 ohms. If read zero on two heating elements, you might want to check your meter against another. In any event glad things are working for you. Take care, Raz
Old 08-14-2012, 06:31 PM   #14

California
Raz I read the same thing those meters are all Greek to me as you can see but thank you Rob
Old 08-14-2012, 06:42 PM   #15

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckyback View Post
Hi We have a 73 Boler that the ignitor brand name Wagon Master went in the little furnace, where would we be able to locate one? Like to do some fall camping but would need the heater.
Don you may get a better/more response if you repost this under a new thread with a heading such as igniter needed for furnace or something like that.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote