Dometic or Norcold - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-07-2012, 07:13 AM   #1

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
Dometic or Norcold

I'm getting ready to redo an 1984 Scamp 19'. I'm not constrained by size, within reason, as I'm redoing most of the insides. My number one preference for a fridge is the new Dometic rm8555. It is 7 cu ft with a removable icebox, less than 100 lbs, ultra mod looking, and is less than 21" wide which allows it to fit through my Scamp door without modification. On the downside it is almost $1400 at camping world. On ebay I found a brand new Norcold 400 for $599 plus $79 shipping to my front door. It is not bad looking but plain, only has 4.5 cu ft of storage and is almost 24" and might require a door mod to fit through to get inside. Any opinions on either of these. Has anyone had the Norcold 400? Why so cheap? Any other options that someone might rave about? I do want at least 4.5 cu ft of interior space.
Steve Hammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 11:04 AM   #2

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
Check that you are getting the RML8555, not the RM8555. The version without the "L" is smaller, designed for under counter installations...

Some info on both at Earthbound RV.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 12:34 PM   #3

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
When pricing almost any RV parts you can be assured that Camping World prices can be beat, sometimes by up to 50%. Shop around.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 12:58 PM   #4

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hammel View Post
I'm getting ready to redo an 1984 Scamp 19'. I'm not constrained by size, within reason, as I'm redoing most of the insides. My number one preference for a fridge is the new Dometic rm8555. It is 7 cu ft with a removable icebox, less than 100 lbs, ultra mod looking, and is less than 21" wide which allows it to fit through my Scamp door without modification. On the downside it is almost $1400 at camping world. On ebay I found a brand new Norcold 400 for $599 plus $79 shipping to my front door. It is not bad looking but plain, only has 4.5 cu ft of storage and is almost 24" and might require a door mod to fit through to get inside. Any opinions on either of these. Has anyone had the Norcold 400? Why so cheap? Any other options that someone might rave about? I do want at least 4.5 cu ft of interior space.
Aside from the obvious difference in storage capacity, the Norcold 400 is a two-way fridge, meaning that there's no installed 12v option. I myself wouldn't pay for this option, since on an absorption fridge 12v is really only practical for travel....battery consumption is much too high when stationary.

It looks to me like both units have "auto-changeover", which means that the unit will "select" propane or electric operation itself. Some folks like that feature...

One thing you may want to investigate further:

I don't see an installation manual for either one, but given the description of controls/functions it does look to me like neither of these fridges can be operated on propane without some power for the controls...usually 12v.
Consumption for controls is relatively small- no comparison to the power needed for cooling. But this would be a dealbreaker for someone like me, a no-frills camper who uses electricity only for lights.

Good luck shopping!

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 02:30 PM   #5
Commercial Member

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
fridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hammel View Post
Steve,
Before you order check out the prices at Panther RV Products.com they sell both brands.
Chuck
Deb & Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 03:50 PM   #6

Registry
"Check that you are getting the RML8555, not the RM8555. The version without the "L" is smaller, designed for under counter installations..."

You are correct I am looking at the RML. The one I'm looking at though comes in gloss black.

I've called around quite a bit and the the 2nd cheapest I've found was $1500.
Old 11-07-2012, 03:54 PM   #7

Registry
"Before you order check out the prices at Panther RV Products.com they sell both brands.
Chuck"

Actually I have checked them out and outside of free shipping they're not all that competitive. They sell the Norcold 300 for $921 and I can get the Norcold 400 for $679 shipped to my door.