Dometic RM 2454 Problem in '05 Casita 17' FD - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-05-2016, 08:04 PM   #1

Name: Dean
Trailer: Casita
Kentucky
Registry
Dometic RM 2454 Problem in '05 Casita 17' FD

Hi All,

Any thoughts on the following refrigerator problem. We driveway camped a couple of weeks ago in our new to us '05 Casita 17' FD. I turned on the refrigerator and used a wireless thermometer. By the next morning, the fridge was in the upper 20s and the freezer 5 below zero with the setting on 5 (coldest) using 120V shorepower. Nice!

I tried a time or two to use propane, but after two or three times of it clicking no ignition even though the propane was on and both the stove and WH were working fine. I assume something is dirty and needs to be cleaned.

OK for my bigger problem. We used the fridge for two days in the driveway adjusting the setting to 2 or 3 with lots of success. We then left to go to the local KOA for a shakedown night. Even though I didn't need to do this, given our short distance, I turned the fridge on DC power. It switched over per the display light. However, once we got to the campground, the fridge had stopped working and has had no power since??? I think I have some type of electrical problem.

I have checked the blade fuse in the mainbox under the driver side dinette. Looks good. I checked the blade fuse in the external lower compartment that is in the wiring. Looks good. I removed the power control module cover and both glass fuses look good. It does not appear to be a fuse??? Also, my fridge has an external cooling fan that runs off a toggle switch located in the upper left hand corner as you enter the Casita. When the toggle is turned on, the fan would run and the toggle would glow red. The external fan is not working as well including the red light on the toggle switch. It appears to me that the unit is getting no power. Also, I checked the outlet that powers the fridge. It is working fine.

Any thoughts before I head to the local Camping World?

Thanks,

Dean
Old 04-05-2016, 08:15 PM   #2

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
You have no 12 VDC at the refrigerator .My Casita refrigerator requires 12 VDC whether running on AC , propane or 12 VDC.
The external cooling fan is powered off the 12 VDC supply for the refrigerator . If your battery voltage drops to a certain level the refrigerator also will not run.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 08:51 PM   #3

Kentucky
Registry
Hi Steven,

Hmmm, interesting. When I plugged into shorepower, shouldn't that top off the battery and allow the fridge to run again?

Thx,

Dean
Old 04-05-2016, 09:13 PM   #4

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
[QUOTE=DeanCHS1980;579953]Hi Steven,

Hmmm, interesting. When I plugged into shorepower, shouldn't that top off the battery and allow the fridge to run again?

Thx,

Dean[/QUOTE

Yes, assuming you have 120 VAC to the trailer , your battery is good , and your onboard charger is working . When one of the cells in my trailer battery went bad ,my refrigerator would not run in any mode .The refrigerator has a 12 VDC control board so NO 12 VDC , NO refrigerator. The refrigerator control board senses if the voltage drops too low and shuts down so you don't drag your battery down to zero. Even with the shorted battery cell , the outside fan still ran
if I jumpered out the fans thermostat
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 09:25 PM   #5

Kentucky
Registry
Hi Steve,

Thanks for the quick replies. Hmm, I had not thought about it being the battery. When plugged into shore power at the KOA and at home, everything else appears to be working other than the refrigerator. So you are saying it could still be the battery since the fridge runs off of a 12 VDC control board that depends on the battery even though the rest of the Casita is operating???

I am learning something new everyday about RVs!!!

I will keep you posted. Let me know if you have any other thoughts.

Thanks,

Dean
Old 04-08-2016, 07:38 PM   #6

Kentucky
Registry
Hi Steve and All,

As a follow-up, I am convinced that my refrigerator problem has something to do with the 12V power. The blade fuse in the electrical box has been removed, tested and it is good. The blade fuse in the lower external panel of the refrigerator has been removed, tested, and it is good. The two glass fuses behind the power control module cover (located in the lower external panel of the refrigerator) have been tested (not removed) and they are good. The AC outlet that I plug the fridge into is good. The toggle switch that glows red when I turn on the external fridge fan does not work. Otherwise, all other electrical systems in the Casita are working fine. But, nothing is working on the fridge. I think because it is not getting any 12V current. Oh, and it is not the house battery. I checked the fluid and put it on a trickle charger. Still did not help the fridge. I took the battery to have it tested. It tested as charged, but with a bad cell. Hmm. I replaced the battery thinking that was the issue. Nope. Fridge still does not work. I did see the following in the Dometic Manual (see photo below). I am scratching my head on how the fridge can work fine, switch it to DC, and three miles later, it will not work on DC or AC even with a new a battery plugged into AC current. I wonder if the following has anything to do with it?

Thx,

Dean

P.S. - I am currently out of town and hopefully will get a chance for a closer look tomorrow or Sunday when I get home.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 04-08-2016, 09:39 PM   #7

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Dean, it kind of sounds like something let go during your 3 mile trip, a ground, loose wire maybe ?? As has been stated you have to have 12v for it to work. I put an aux fan in a different RV behind the refer. I wired it to a separate 12v power source that had nothing to do with the refers 12v power. Not saying yours is wired in line with the refers power but being the red light/fan isn't working kind of makes me wonder.... You didn't say anything about checking that out. BTW, I mostly desert camp and found that the fan I installed really didn't make much difference. I've never bothered to add one to any other RV. Have you checked the ckt board for 12v output ?
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 09:35 PM   #8

Kentucky
Registry
Hi All,

Well, I broke down and took the Casita to the local Camping World for look at my nonfunctional refrigerator before leaving for the Smoky Mts. It WAS a DING-DANG fuse!!! I checked the fridge fuse in the breaker box and it was a fine, but they found a different fuse that was a 10 amp that should have been a 15 amp. They replaced it with a 15 and it has been working just fine!!! I had the them take a quick look at the propane on the fridge as well. Thermocoupler needed adjusted. Fridge is now working just fine! Great having it for our trip.

Thanks,

Dean

Tags
casita