Dometic RM2193 question - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-19-2009, 01:37 PM   #1
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Hello to all. We are in the process of ordering a 15' Escape. We camp mostly in state parks where seldom is power available. Unfortunately this makes the standard fridge, a Dometic RM2354 a poor fit for us because of its DC power requirement ( I've read about 1/2 A.) when operated on propane. We asked the good folks at Escape if we could substitute a Norcold N300 but because of certification issues the fridge has to be a Dometic. It would appear that the Dometic RM2193 used on the 13' Escape, albeit smaller, does not require DC power when used on propane. I am hoping someone here can confirm this. I am also interested in its reliability as well as any other models that we should consider. Thanks much, Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 02:15 PM   #2

Trailer: Bigfoot 17 ft 1992 / Chevrolet S10 4.3L.
In my previous Scamp 16' i have a 2193 model installe and it don't required power on propane

This frige work very well and if you a a small computer fan in back it work better at high temperature

Any way i install a computer fan in all my trailer frige , not expensive, drain a very very small amout of power and help the frige at hight temp

Yvon Chayer
Yvon Chayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 02:39 PM   #3

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
The Dometic RM2351 is the same fridge as the 2354, but is only a 2-way AC/Gas and quite a bit less cost. I didn't find any power draw specs at Dometic, but it still indicates that it has a requirement for a continuous 12v power supply for the electronic ignition for the LP. I really would be surprised that it would make much of a dent in the battery, especially if you've changed all your lighting out to LED. Nothing a small solar panel wouldn't take care of even if necessary. Many of the bigger rigs have these type of refrigerators and larger installed in them and they boondock without any problems that I've seen being caused by the refrigerator's 12v requirements on LP.

Will be an interesting thread to hear responses on though.
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 09:06 PM   #4
Commercial Member

Trailer: 1988 Scamp 13 ft and 1982 Perris Pacer 13 ft
Registry
Quote:
Hello to all. We are in the process of ordering a 15' Escape. We camp mostly in state parks where seldom is power available. Unfortunately this makes the standard fridge, a Dometic RM2354 a poor fit for us because of its DC power requirement ( I've read about 1/2 A.) when operated on propane. We asked the good folks at Escape if we could substitute a Norcold N300 but because of certification issues the fridge has to be a Dometic. It would appear that the Dometic RM2193 used on the 13' Escape, albeit smaller, does not require DC power when used on propane. I am hoping someone here can confirm this. I am also interested in its reliability as well as any other models that we should consider. Thanks much, Raz

I have the 2193 3-way in my Scamp. Works really great.

When on shore power I use the 120V capability. When I'm on the road, I switch over to 12v. At the park, I can use the propane.

Surely, your Escape has an onboard battery which would supply the "sparker" to fire up the propane. Uses tiny amount of power, and once lit, runs completely on the gas. No worries!

For the in-depth scoop, send a note to Harry Young, a member here. When it comes to refrigerators (and many other items FGRV related), he's the master!
Robert Johans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 03:11 PM   #5

Trailer: 13 ft Perris Pacer
I have a 2193 in my Four Wheel camper and it's a great unit. I also have 2 CPU fans to evacuate the hot air behind the top vent (as Yvon pointed out,) and this is a must-do.

They draw a ton of amperage on 12V, so unless you have a few hundred Ah's worth of battery power it's not really practical to even use that option anyways.
Angelo F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 05:14 PM   #6
Commercial Member

Trailer: 1988 Scamp 13 ft and 1982 Perris Pacer 13 ft
Registry
Quote:
I have a 2193 in my Four Wheel camper and it's a great unit. I also have 2 CPU fans to evacuate the hot air behind the top vent (as Yvon pointed out,) and this is a must-do.

They draw a ton of amperage on 12V, so unless you have a few hundred Ah's worth of battery power it's not really practical to even use that option anyways.

Just to follow up on Angelo's point, I too have 2 CPU fans to facilitate airflow!

And, I use the 12V option only when under way and on the road. My tow alternator keeps power to the trailer battery, which in turn supplies the power to the frig. Once at the campsite, I switch over to propane. No problem.
Robert Johans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 01:05 PM   #7
Raz

Thanks for responding to my post. The RM2193 seems to be the simple unit we want. On the Chalet we have been able to keep our battery current drain to less than 10 a-hr a day which lets us stay in one place without recharging for a couple of days. In the fall we head for the outerbanks. There we take a small solar panel which gives us about 18 a-hr per day recharge. We can stay as long as we want. We have on order a 15' plan A (no bathroom) Escape and we want to keep things the same.

While bumbling around a dometic site, (dometicusa I think?) I found the parts list which as well as parts diagrams includes the technical specifications i.e. heater voltages, currents, gas burner btus etc. and a wiring diagram. Good info for sure. Thanks for the help, Raz
Old 12-16-2014, 01:56 PM   #8

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2004 Casita FD
Florida
Can anyone tell me the DC current draw on a Dom. RM 2193. I have the manual but it doesn't say.
dslaggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 04:55 PM   #9
Raz

Quote:
Originally Posted by dslaggie View Post
Can anyone tell me the DC current draw on a Dom. RM 2193. I have the manual but it doesn't say.
The installation and operating manual says 125 watt element drawing 10.5 amps. Section 11.12. Raz
Old 12-16-2014, 06:26 PM   #10

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2004 Casita FD
Florida
Thanks much. That helps.
dslaggie is offline   Reply With Quote