Dometic RM2201 Door Gasket - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-23-2009, 11:48 AM   #1

Trailer: 1991 Scamp
Hello, I have a 1991 Scamp with a Dometic RM2201 3-way fridge. Part of the gasket in the fridge door has become worn and does not fully seal.

Anyone have any ideas as to how to fix/replace?

TIA,

N8
Nate M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 12:45 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
As you've probably found out the RM2201 (22-1/4 x 19-1/2 x 18-1/4) is no longer being made. According to Dometic it was replaced with the RM2193 (21 x 17-3/4 x 21-1/2). Since they're different sizes, it doesn't seem like the door gaskets would be the same.

So, unless someone steps up with a direct replacement.... have you considered using closed-cell foam? You can buy it in a roll, different thicknesses and widths at any big box store... like Lowes. It's what I used as a gasket on the trailer door, and I wouldn't hesitate to use it on the refrigerator if I couldn't find a "real" gasket. I'd think it would work just fine and certainly better than going without!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 01:25 PM   #3

Trailer: 1974 Trillium 13 ft
Hi Nate,

I'd check with Dometic customer service for sure. Or your RV parts dept. It isn't that unlikely that there would still be replacement parts available, 1991 isn't that old in RV years, after all. Also if the current seal isn't actually ruptured you could try giving it a good cleaning and making sure you can't flex it back to life somehow? Or slide a piece of something inside the seal in the area where it needs help in pushing against the box. I do like Donna's foam idea, though... sounds like it might work if you manage to make good corners seams.
Old 06-23-2009, 02:38 PM   #4

Trailer: 1976 Tripple E Surfside
Quote:
Hi Nate,

I'd check with Dometic customer service for sure. Or your RV parts dept. It isn't that unlikely that there would still be replacement parts available, 1991 isn't that old in RV years, after all. Also if the current seal isn't actually ruptured you could try giving it a good cleaning and making sure you can't flex it back to life somehow? Or [b]slide a piece of something inside the seal in the area where it needs help in pushing against the box. I do like Donna's foam idea, though... sounds like it might work if you manage to make good corners seams.
I'm an appliance repairman,
and I normally have to heat up the seal with a hair dryer(and sometimes insert Kleenex)inside an empty area.
Usually works pretty good, if you can no longer get new seals.

Another "trick" I use,
is to remove the entire seal, clean it real good, and soak it in extremely HOT HOT water for appx 1/2 hour, then re-install it, and then use the heat gun/hair dryer the help re-shape it to it's normal position.

You can use a piece of tape to help keep door closed for an Hour, while it's setting up.

Good Luck.!!
Old 06-24-2009, 12:29 AM   #5

Trailer: 1971 Astro (ie. Campster/Hunter I)
Send a message via MSN to Harry Young Send a message via Yahoo to Harry Young
Nate,

You can send your gasket to Custom Refrigeration Products in Tempe Arizona and they will manufacture the replacement for you to the exact size, its aprox 60.00.

P.M. me and I can send the phone #s, I have a second source as well.

This is done all the time in the restaurant business but the RV industry has not caught on to it yet.

Happy Camping, Safe Trails.

Harry
Harry Young is offline   Reply With Quote