Dometic RM2202 Fridge Problem...won't get cold on propane but DOES - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-17-2006, 04:57 PM   #15

Trailer: 1997 13 ft Scamp Deluxe and 2006 Airstream 75th Anniversary International Bambi Prototype
Hi there...

PLEASE take pictures of the two flame heights. That would help alot.

My flame only gets really small when the thermostat is all the way down. Any setting higher than that (just a tad above all the way down) and the flame goes to about 1/2" high, and NEVER changes. It change at all. It doesn't get bigger or smaller, and the fridge does not get any cooler.

Thanks,
Jeff

Old 08-17-2006, 06:36 PM   #16

Trailer: 2005 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
Send a message via Yahoo to Al V
jeff did you check the gas pressure at the fridge?
i have had 2 reefers that have had there trouble traced back to the regulator one the propane tank. The last one was on my new 2005 casita the regulaor was not allowing enough gas flow thur to the refigerator test the pressure with a monometer while the unit is running
Al

Old 08-18-2006, 07:28 PM   #17

Trailer: 1997 13 ft Scamp Deluxe and 2006 Airstream 75th Anniversary International Bambi Prototype
Hi there...

I have good LP gas pressure; that is working fine...

Any updates on the posts of the pictures of the "normal" working pilot flame vs. the "on" flame?

Thanks,
Jeff
Old 08-18-2006, 11:06 PM   #18

Trailer: 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Jeff

I have solved this same problem in two different refrigerators. Low gas pressure in one and a clogged jet in the other.

Have the gas pressure checked. 11 inches of water is the proper pressure. Clean the jet like Morgan suggested.

If after doing both of these suggestions your problem is not solved replace the thermostat.

I stopped following your hard to tow problem and wondered if you ever arrived at a solution.

Nick
Old 08-21-2006, 12:41 AM   #19

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
I finally fired up the refrigerator in my Boler today, opened up the back, and took some photos of the burner with the flame; here's one:

Click image for larger version

Name:	RM360flameHigh_505x383_80.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	4591

The burner tube provides scale, but for anyone with a different model, I'll measure and provide the diameter, hopefully tomorrow.

I'm not saying that this the correct flame height, just that this is what mine does, and it works.

I wasn't surprised that it took a couple of hours to hit freezing in the freezer compartment (which should be -18 C when operating properly), but I am a little suprised that with the freezer at -10 C, and the main section at 4 C, the thermostat still has no effect - I guess I'm still above the high end of the thermostat's temperature range, so it's staying on high burner rate. I'll try for a comparison photo tomorrow, when it is fully cooled down, so the burner will go the the "pilot" or low level.

I guess that I had not looked this closely at the flame before, since I don't recall noticing the interesting shape: the inner flame from each burner slot is quite small, but it appears that they all combine into one with an outer envelope going right up the stack.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 11:20 AM   #20

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Well, the freezer is at -20 C, the main compartment is below freezing, and even with the thermostat knob set below "1" (the lowest marking before "OFF" there is no change in the flame. So, I have one of two situations: either,
  1. the burner is on low, and this is one really effective refrigerator, given enough time; or,
  2. the burner is staying on high.
Since the burner does not appear to be changing levels, I guess I need to follow the various suggestions from other members regarding troubleshooting and repair. Since I'm pretty sure it's on high, the problem is presumably with the thermostat. Perhaps it's even not fully open, and I could have more flame and more effective cooling.

I thought that the thermostat was working (affecting temperature) in earlier use, but perhaps I was just seeing random fluctations due to outside temperature, and the thermostat knob is just a placebostat (it makes you feel like you're doing something, but actually has no effect).

Anyone with more experience with these units have a comment on the size of my flame (shown in my previous post)? Although Jeff is asking about an RM2202, mine is an RM 360.

For size reference in the photo, the burner tube is about 12mm or 15/32" in outside diameter.

So that's about all I can contribute. Jeff, is this useful, and how does your flame compare?
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 04:45 PM   #21

Trailer: 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Once more

Basic troubleshooting; ( propane)

1.Check propane pressure.

2 Clean jet. I usually do this first

Refrigerator will not operate properly on propane unless these two things are right.

If the propane pressure is too high your refrigerator can overcool and to low it can undercool.
Old 08-28-2006, 11:38 AM   #22

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Jeff.

I had a problem with my 2193 Dometic refrigerator while on my Alaska trip. It was doing exactly what you are describing after having been on very dusty roads. It never got hot enough to do it's chemical thing. I could hold my hand on the mechanism, should be too hot for that normally.

The solution was:

1. There is no flame adjustment on the 2193

2. Blow out the line and jet, which really didn't seem to have much dust/dirt. Didn't help.

3. Checked the propane pressure with both the stove and refrigerator on. The pressure was 9......it should be between 10 and 14.

4. Replaced the regulator, $19 and now the pressure is 12.

Refridge works great....like new.

The problem seemed to be that the regulator was facing horizontal instead of vertical. That allowed dust/dirt to get into it. Make sure your regulator is facing down.
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 10:25 PM   #23

Name: Jay
Trailer: Scamp 16'
New Mexico
I have a dometic rm2201 refrig. Both the gas and electric thermostats have no numbers on them....which direction do you turn the to make the refrigerator colder? CW or CCW? Thanks
Old 09-06-2013, 09:55 AM   #24

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
If you ever seen the size of the hole in the jet you will understand how much the pressure variable will effect the burner flame. The hole is about the size of your hair. When I first got my used Scamp I had a burner issue. I took it apart and found part of a spider web inside the burner causing a mixing issue. I also removed the jet and cleaned it and I also found the gas line coated inside with some sticky laquer type substance. So I flushed the line. While the flame now looked and worked great there just wasnt much heat comming out. fridge worked well on ac and dc but still sucked on propane. I upgraded my old decrepid propane rubber lines and replace the regulator at the same time and magically the fridge works extremely well. By eye you cant see the difference in the flame or its size. Unless you have a manometer and can check the gas pressure at the fridge with all of the appliances on you will never know if you have enough pressure to operate the burner properly. Volume of the gas is not an issue at the fridge like it is at the stove. Its how much pressure you have to blow the gas through that tiny little hole.
Old 09-24-2014, 08:48 PM   #25

Name: Jay
Trailer: Scamp 16'
New Mexico
I threw mine in the garbage; built in a microwave and cabinet in it's place and bought a Yeti cooler. No more aggravation.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV

Tags
fridge