dometic RM2202 frig problems - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-21-2011, 03:31 PM   #1
Name: Louisa
Trailer: Dodge muir van
dometic RM2202 frig problems

Hi I have a dometic refrig model RM2202 in my Dodge conversion van. It works on elec, 12 volt but not on propane. I cleaned it with air etc and it got real cold for awhile but now its warm again. I don't know what to do next and am trying to avoid the $100 per hour tech in Calif. Thank you. hulalou

hulalou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 06:11 PM   #2
Name: Tim
Trailer: Class B for now
You may want to have your regulator checked out, or if you have another swap it to see it that's the problem. Sometimes when they get old they can loose their psi. You should have a nice blue flame, with no yellow also, or it will need more cleaning.

Tim Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 06:49 PM   #3
Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Lousia, you might check the Document Center for a troubleshooting manual section. You may not find the exact manual, but most of these refrigerators are pretty similar: Fiberglass RV - Document Center - Refrigerators

Or, check these forums for more help:
iRV2 - RV Forum Community
RV.Net RV and Camping Forum ? RV, Trailer, Camper, Motorhome, Camping and Campground Information

Good luck!
Donna D.
Ten Forward - 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Double Yolk - 1988 16' Scamp Deluxe
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 07:21 PM   #4
Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
I can attest that there is a Dometic 2202 in at least one 1998 Burro trailer--mine. The installation looks like OE to me. That and sympathy is all I have to offer. Have similar symptoms of non-function: cooled on AC sitting in the driveway leveled but fought a losing battle against 98F temp. in July. Suspicious that the air syphon between lower and upper vents isn't all it could be; suspicious that I may also have the regulator problem on propane; absolutely certain that I'm intimidated by the probability that I'll have an expensive coil replacement because of chromate crystalization in the cores. Everything I know is what I read in the last chapter. My fall project. I hope someone comes forward to help you (and me).

rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 09:31 AM   #5
Trailer: 1972 13 ft Boler American
do you have trouble keeping the pilot light lit? is it still going, even when it's getting warm?
LukeP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 03:28 PM   #6
Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
I have the RM 2201 and I know that it is designed to shut the pilot light & gas off if there is a problem with the supply. You may need to do a search here on cleaning up the pipes etc - something as simple as a spider web can be the issue. If it works on the 12 volt thats good news as that points to an issue with propane supply and not the fridge function itself.

I do sometimes have problems getting mine to light and stay light when I first start it up - most often if it has not been used in a long time. I need to keep the red pilot button pushed in for sometime after the flame lights or it will go out. Often takes a couple of tries. It did give me a bit more grief than normal getting it to light on a recent trip but suspect that was due to being over 8000' and propane doesnt burn so well. At close to sea level it started and stayed light first try this past week-end - go figure.

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote