Don't know where this question fits in forums... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-21-2015, 06:42 PM   #1

Name: Bryan
Trailer: Casita "Cozy-Casa"
Central Virginia
Don't know where this question fits in forums...

Looking seriously at Parkliner - got pricing - since semi custom they want FULL PAYMENT UP FRONT - does this make sense? I was thinking it would be like a house - on a draw type thing when being built. % down, % when midway and final when done. What should I do? I do not feel comfortable giving all that money up front when communications have been difficult.
bsedwebt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 06:51 PM   #2

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
When in doubt, err on the side of caution.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 07:33 PM   #3

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
When we ordered our Scamp one year ago, all they required was $500 down, balance due on delivery. Scamps are custom built too. The buyer picks options from a long list and chooses the placement of lights, electrical outlets, etc. Full payment up front, especially to a newer company with a limited track record, wouldn't leave me warm and fuzzy. I have to agree with Darwin.

Tom
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 07:39 PM   #4

Name: jim
Trailer: Escape 21 Nov.2016
Florida
Registry
semi custom parkliner

What kind of custom work ? If you backed out would they be stuck with a orphan child? Is it something they can change back very easily? Not that you would back out but if something changed for you in a week or two they don't want to be stuck with something they couldn't sell right away .I would call or send e-mail to have them call you direct .if they want to sell trailers they have to be a little more flexible I could see 20-30% down with another 30% a week into build and the rest when it is delivered . Lil Snoozy ask for 40% down for their trailers .I don't know what Scamp,Casita or the others ask for down payment ? Jim
jennykatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 07:57 PM   #5

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Considering their earlier delivery and warranty issues, I would say it's "Not a good thing".

Right now it's your money. As soon as you give it to them it's their money and you are waiting for delivery from a company that hasn't had all that good a delivery record in the past.

If it's because they need it for operating expenses, you should run away fast. If not, suggest that you put it into an escrow account and let a third party hold the greater amount of the $$$ until delivery.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 07:57 PM   #6

Name: Eddie
Trailer: Casita
Arkansas
Down payment on Casita

Casita reguires $2000 deposit when you order. I believe Scamp wants $500
Jaycojunkie46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 07:59 PM   #7

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I put a non-refundable $500 deposit down with Escape Trailer Industries to hold a spot in the production line for Ten Forward. The trailer needed to be 100% paid for before pickup and I sent several payments during the 10 months I waited. ETI would prefer the money about six weeks prior to P/U because of dealing with international currency.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 08:26 PM   #8

Trailer: 1990 Scamp 16 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaycojunkie46 View Post
Scamp sales fellow Wayne told us the $500 deposit was refundable if we changed our mind. We didn't. Got to say that gave us confidence we were dealing with a stand up outfit. Seems sensible since they seldom have any stock and could have easily sold our trailer to another. We did have to present a bank check before we drove away on pick up day. Scamp's long history may allow floating all the manufacturing costs during the 3-4 week build process. Newer manufacturers may need the funds to keep the lights on and wages paid.

My customers don't need deposits and only pay on pick up or shipment. Works for me, probably for the same reasons as Scamp.

A friend put a 50% deposit on a custom boat. Builder never even started on the boat. He turned out to be judgement proof, meaning he had no assets. My friend got an unenforceable judgement and really regrets not investigating more carefully.

Be careful out there.
John Linck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 08:57 PM   #9

Name: Dave & Karen
Trailer: 2014 Casita SD 17FT
Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaycojunkie46 View Post
I only had to put down $500 when i ordered my casita last year.
Old 01-21-2015, 09:08 PM   #10
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
I think the $500 non-refundable down payment Escape wants to make a custom trailer if quite fair. We made no further payments until pickup, when we handed them a Cashiers Check for the remaining amount that Tammy requested plus a couple hundred extra to cover currency changes. The overage Tammy refunded back onto our credit card.

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 10:30 PM   #11

Name: Pineapple Man
Trailer: Scamp 13'
Ohio
Speaking from experience, I learned the hard way. Don't ever give a business all the money up front. (on a barn)
Old 01-21-2015, 11:28 PM   #12

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Escape
Don't do it!
Old 01-21-2015, 11:52 PM   #13

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Escape
What if the company goes bankrupt before your trailer is done? I think it is a bad sign that all $$ are required up front. Red flag!
Old 01-22-2015, 04:55 AM   #14
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
I do not feel comfortable giving all that money up front when communications have been difficult.
Did you tell them that? I would. We live in a connected world and poor past performance becomes common knowledge quickly. Even if there had not been problems unless you are willing to settle for an " I'm sorry" in place of your trailer, don't do it. Too many things can go wrong. Without knowing what you want done, it is difficult to make a suggestion but most outfits will leave some things out if you don't want them. Then you can "customize" locally. Hope it works out, Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 05:56 AM   #15

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
I had a friend / coworker who ordered a $20,000+ bass boat years ago. He paid the dealer up front and the dealership went under before he got his boat. He ended up getting pennies on the dollar after a long and expensive legal battle.

When we ordered our Scamp, we went to the factory to look them over and place our order. I had $13K in my pocket. I briefly thought I'd just pay them off and be done with it. I remembered my friend's experience and gave them the refundable $500 they required. I have total trust in Scamp, but you just never know what will happen. A few years ago they had a fire that totally destroyed the place. They rebuilt bigger and better than ever, but I'm sure there was quite a delay in production, and probably some concern by the customers on the waiting list.

Park liner is a very nice trailer. Like many here, I hope they make it. Most owners are very happy with them. Are you a gambler? Ready to roll the dice, and take the chance? Something to think about...

Tom
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 06:16 AM   #16
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
I ran across this post in a different thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsedwebt View Post
Thanks all - I have been in contact with him and discussing details - now I am being told PAYMENT IN FULL UP FRONT because it is a custom request - I do not think it is that custom - I would supply a 12v/110v fridge that will fit the factory hole and under seat a/c unit that will fit the factory hole, custom hinges, custom knobs, upholstery and flooring and there would be an ESCAPE REAR WINDOW not an escape hatch. They would delete curtains and rods, batteries, wheels, etc. which are all bolt on items that I would install them when I get there to pick it up and as I go along. He says a custom unit would be impossible to sell so that is why full payment is needed up front. I say it would not be impossible to sell - especially if he has a deposit for thousands of dollars - it would sell really quick for a discount.

In all fairness I think most manufactures would want the money up front if they would do it at all. Again, I hope it works out, Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 07:48 AM   #17

Name: Brian
Trailer: 2013 ParkLiner
Upstate New York
Don't get me wrong, we love our ParkLiner but....
Ordering and owning one is not for the faint of heart. When we ordered ours two years ago, our order was never acknowledged - if not for my cancelled check for the $1500 deposit, we would not have known that our order had been received. Finally, after several phone calls and emails, Chandler acknowledged receipt of the order, agreed to a pickup date and promised to send fabric swatches as soon as he could pick them up from his supplier. I'm still waiting for them.

We have been through the tire rub issue, which led to the first BBB complaint against ParkLiner, filed by me. The matter was resolved when I received reimbursement from Chandler a couple of months after sending him my paid bill for having the wheel wells rebuild by a local body shop. In a later phone conversation, Chandler told me that he ignores BBB queries and any written requests go into the trash, unopened.

Our unvented batteries are still living in their original location, as a 1400 mile round trip to Gibsonville to have the batteries relocated is, to say the least, inconvenient. especially when you factor in Frank-A's experience with having this mod done last year. Since my (unwritten) warranty runs out the beginning of April, I assume that my rights (?) to have this mod performed at no charge will expire at that time.

My last several communications have gone unanswered, both emails and phone calls, so I have simply given up. I have not tried in months and won't waste any further time trying. I firmly believe that we are truly on our own.

That said, if you decide to proceed, I truly wish you luck. Just be aware that once ParkLiner has your money, you are at their mercy.

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.
Brian M. in NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 08:58 AM   #18

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
When you are a company with NO MONEY, you are living one payment to the next. What if your money doesnt keep them in business long enough to build and deliver your camper?
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 09:07 AM   #19

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
Lets see ... Brian M put down a $1500 deposit 2 years ago and today they want ALL the money up front ??? Yes, your trailer has some special order items so a larger deposit might be in order. If they ask every customer for payment in full up front, they will probably scare most prospective buyers off and that will most likely mean fewer sales and even tougher times for Parkliner. I would not feel comfortable with this deal.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 10:43 AM   #20

Trailer: 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette
Your gut is telling you all you need to know. Move on with your money. Many others businesses will treat you much better.
Darnelle is offline   Reply With Quote