Door doesn't seem to fit the body of the trailer - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-30-2016, 11:00 PM   #1

Name: Gwendolyn
Trailer: Scamp
Washington
Door doesn't seem to fit the body of the trailer

I have a 2016 13' standard scamp. The top 3/4 of the door seals just fine but the bottom 1/4 lets in water etc. When you look at it from the outside it looks like the door is the wrong shape at the bottom. I live 1600 miles from Backus so can't get it back to show them the issue. Any thoughts on how I can seal the door since it appears to be malformed?

(I was originally going to make the trip to pick it up in person but a death in the family caused me to have to resort to delivery - so I wasn't able to inspect it before taking delivery. )

Thanks for your help.
gtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 11:07 PM   #2

Name: Ann
Trailer: 2016 Scamp 13'
Washington
You have a one year warranty, so you may want to call SCAMP.
Triker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 06:37 AM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Scamp doors hang down below the door threshold and the bottom rat fur gets dirty. It's been that way since the very beginning. So it's doubtful your door is any different then any others. If you're having issues other than at the bottom, you may need to replace/adjust the weather stripping. The easiest is when it's dark outside, have someone run a flashlight beam around the door perimeter (outside).You're inside and checking the seal.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 08:33 AM   #4

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
Take some photos of the door to show the problem and post them here. Might help if people can see what you describe.
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 09:08 AM   #5

Name: Rich
Trailer: 2015 Scamp 13D
Minnesota
I had the same issue with my 2015 Scamp. Let Scamp Repairs know. They have a repair solution that adds some spacers to your inside door lock and that then pulls the door tighter into the body. They may also send you a different door seal. Others have had this same issue and it is fixable. I, too, could see light but with the repair things are now better.
Rich G. and Val F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 09:41 AM   #6

Registry
CAUTION....

I had a similar problem with 2006 when it was new. Changed the type of seal and it improved for a few months, then the shape of the door changed a bit. It takes about a year for the fiberglass to stabilize. By doing something early could be worse than living with the problem for a while.
Old 05-01-2016, 10:20 AM   #7

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
I had a similar problem with 2006 when it was new. Changed the type of seal and it improved for a few months, then the shape of the door changed a bit. It takes about a year for the fiberglass to stabilize. By doing something early could be worse than living with the problem for a while.
Perhaps. But for sure discuss with Scamp before you take that route. Protect your warranty.

Walt
Old 05-02-2016, 01:28 AM   #8

Name: Gwendolyn
Washington
Thanks for taking the time to give me input. I will get in touch with scamp before doing any modifications myself first and see what they say. If they can't or won't help then you all have given me some ideas to look into. I appreciate the feedback from everyone.
gtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote