Door Gasket? - Page 7 - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-25-2013, 12:00 PM   #85

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
Good timing for me also. It's high on my spring to-do list.

Old 04-25-2013, 02:56 PM   #86

Name: Steve
Trailer: Bigfoot, Trillium, Scamp 5th Wheel
Spokane Wa. and Las Vegas, Nv.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericw View Post
Steve, have you tried it yet? I have to choose what I am going to do in the next couple of weeks.

This was a very timely thread for me. Thanks everyone!
No, sorry, I still have 101 things to do and I want to square up the door before I put anything on. I'm doing wiring, plumbing, solar, cabinets, etc. The gasket completion is pretty far down my list.

Old 04-26-2013, 09:28 PM   #87

Name: Linda
Trailer: '77 Scamp
California
Registry
weather strip on door

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
The previous, factory standard black trim was held on with two rivets. So far the grip seems adequate without the addition of any rivets or adhesive
Hi Norm,
Today I cleaned off most of the goop where the old WS was. Tomorrow I'll use WD40 on it.
I have a question for you about your installation. Did you remove the black rubber trim around the door before you put the new WS on? I'm guessing you have to do that, or it just won't go on. I haven't picked up the WS yet and am wondering if I should take off that trim in preparation.
Old 04-27-2013, 07:21 AM   #88

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Linda,

I did remove the black rubber trim that goes around the door. It comes off easily. On my door it was held on by two small pop rivets at the bottom of the door. I just drilled them out and it slips right off. I did save it incase some day I want to reverse the process.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 02:18 PM   #89

Name: Linda
Trailer: '77 Scamp
California
Registry
Thanks Norm, you're the man.
Old 04-30-2013, 04:14 PM   #90

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Mike.

The following is a picture of a piece of the gasket material. I bought it at Autozone but I wish I had purchased it some where else because it was not long enough to do it with one piece.

Norm do you have link to the product you actually purchased so that we can get the actual measurements/size you purchased?

A know there was a link posted on this thread to a product that may be close to what John put on his Scamp but I am not yet convinced that it is in fact a product that will work or the same as the T1 or T2 product John put on his Scamp. I had a chance to see what John put on his Scamp & it appears to be closer to 1/2" bulb diameter (maybe a smug more) and it is a fairly soft rubber compared to one I tried out that had a bit larger bulb diameter and a stiffer rubber resulting in the door not closing. Even John mentioned that his wife has trouble closing the door with the product he used.

Hoping for someone here to provide a link to something they have actually bought that has been confirmed to work & they can close the door without trouble, as its hard to send back to the US if incorrect.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 04:18 PM   #91

Florida
Carol,

I agree. I believe a 1/2 " is a better size. The problem with what I bought was I had to use two pieces since it was only 13' long and you need 15' plus in retrospect I think I'd be happier with a smaller diameter.

I tried to buy it where Dave and Paula did but it took a month to get a response from them so I bought mine at Autozone.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 04-30-2013, 05:08 PM   #92

Name: Sharon
Trailer: Chez Nous - a 2011 Scamp 16'
Texas
Hey Carol, Norm ...

Norm, my concern was that I had difficulty following/understanding why you had to move the lock/door handle to install the gasket (if I understood your post, that is). I would like a smooth install of the gasket without worrying about that sort of thing. Thing is, too, I will be sleeping next to that door and want it to work perfectly, whatever that means (grin).

Carol, thanks for the update. Initially I was waiting on Steve's report, but now I realize from his last post that the door gasket is a low priority for him as he has a number of more pressing fixes to attend to. So plz keep searching for answers on that. Meanwhile, I need to get more info on installing the toilet shut-off valve.

S.
Old 04-30-2013, 05:18 PM   #93

Florida
SharonM,

If I were doing it again I would call Spaceage Auto as described in the 4th post of this thread and order 15' of T2.

When David used this I don't believe he had to adjust his lock. You can PM him to verify this.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 04-30-2013, 05:23 PM   #94

British Columbia
Registry
Sharon FYI on the product I did try installing but had to large of a bulb size to allow the door to close properly I installed it around the door opening not on the door. I just cut out a piece of it to allow it to slip over the door latch section - it appeared that the door lock would have worked just fine without having to move the door handle. Looked great - to bad the door wouldnt close ;-(( Doing it that way also meant I did not need to add the little board piece below the door that Norm had to add - just need to find a heaver duty foam or rubber piece to replace the strip under the door that Scamp has there now. Although the foam piece under the door I use now came from Scamp and it hasn't moved at all in the 5 years its been on & it does seal the door but it is showing signs of wear and tear due to being foam - a heavier duty rubber one would be better.
Old 04-30-2013, 05:40 PM   #95

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry

I can't stand it- again with the "T2"- a description/label by which no human person has been able to find any product!

The originator of that info, a Scamp owner by the name of Dave, did say that the 3/4 inch molding to be found at the following link is an exact match to what he used on his Scamp. link to product

It's just called "door seal"- specifially identified by the part number in the link supplied above.
If it worked for Dave on his 1990 Scamp 13 (see exchange below)- what's not to like????

Francesca

Quote:
Originally Posted by David B. View Post
The rubber automotive type gasket is simply called "T-2". The place I purchased it from is: SPAGE AGE auto paint store inc.
Mesa Automotive Paint Supply: Products, Refinish, Coating | Space Age Auto Paint Store

Quote:
Steve, I used 3/4". What was the name of this "T2" on-line, and what is the on-line link?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
This looks like a pretty good match...

Metro Molding 3/4" Door Seal

Francesca

Quote:
Francesca, that looks like an exact match. Great detective work! Now we all have a number that works.
Dave & Paula
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 06:10 PM   #96

British Columbia
Registry
Problem with the one you have link to Francesca and which Dave suggested is a good match to his is that it only comes in 13' lengths! Second big problem is I tried a product with those same dimensions as on your link and it doesn't work! Door will not close. Norm has one as well and he has indicated a door closing issue as well. Which makes me wonder if it was in fact the exactly the same product used by David.... note at that link you have provided there are many different products that all look very much the same but with slightly different dimensions!

John did provide me with the info on Spaceage and I did take some rough fast measurements of his product using a less than great measuring tape and as indicated its not 5/8" as the product you have posted the link and photo of is. Called Spaceage and sure enough they do have a few option re sizes - all pretty close in size - but at this point it would be my best guess as to which is correct in size and it would be another costly mistake if I order the wrong stuff.

As indicated it would be nice if someone who has ACTUALLY done this mod could post a link to the actual product they know for a fact they purchased and used.
Old 04-30-2013, 06:25 PM   #97

Florida
Dave is the originator of this solution as far as I know. I've seen his and it looks and works great. I suggest a PM. Dave and Paula are very helpful people.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 04-30-2013, 06:47 PM   #98

British Columbia
Registry
Yup I did read David's post on what he purchased from Spaceage and he also indicated he used 3/4" yet John also purchased his from Spaceage and his for sure not 3/4"...... closer to 1/2" if not 1/2". Also know through having already tried one product that there is no way my Scamp door would come close to closing using the 3/4" as it doesnt like 5/8" either ...... Suspect some of the issues are that each product is different re stiffness as well... the softer the bulb the bigger you may be able to go.

May just have to wait for Steve to tryout the product he purchased and hope it doesn't rain in the meantime ;-)