Door gasket - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-29-2013, 02:57 PM   #15
Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
......... I think that way back in prehistoric times someone incorrectly posted the wrong weatherstrip to use, and everyone else blindly followed without checking dimensions themselves, resulting in a not so good seal. Perhaps it was Fred Flintstone!!
You are probably right, but the UHaul manual does suggest caulking the weather strip, so maybe the wrong type was used from the get go.
Attached Images

UHaul and Burro owners, join the UHaul Campers on Facebook.
Thomas G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 03:24 PM   #16
Name: Michael J
Trailer: U-Haul VT
The fiberglass seemed to be thicker on the Atlanta built trailer window and door area than on my VT and was very difficult to peel back from the edges after installation. We are letting the rubber set into shape before testing but will seal the two holes. I went to the .C R lawrence site awhile back and it indicated that the acceptable range for the inner and outer sealing tolerances was within the widths stated , the wider groove came in handy to set the windowin the frame and allowed us to move the window slightly to center it.
I think I would prefer the all in one lock strip as the tool from perfect fit makes it difficult to get around at least one corner due to its length.

mmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 03:54 PM   #17
Name: bob
Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Most likely the weatherstrip that Uhaul used was the closest dimension that was available at the time, and as far as I can find the AS 1456 is as close to the required dimensions as possible, but not perfect. The Lisle lock strip tool that I used has 2 tips with 4 possible size openings, and can be installed on the handle either straight or at a 90 degree angle. It was still somewhat of a struggle to get the window into the weatherstrip, and the lock strip in place. As I recall I put the 3/16" groove of the weatherstrip on the window.

mary and bob is online now   Reply With Quote