Door hinge issues. - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-22-2017, 07:25 AM   #1
Member
 
Name: Z
Trailer: Scamp
Quebec
Posts: 50
Door hinge issues.

https://flic.kr/p/YzsAr1

Hopefully the above link works, it is to a video of the problem.

I have installed brand new stainless steel hinge pin kits so I do not believe the pins are the issue.

The bottom hinge has some play in it..could the seat the brass ball sits in be worn? Top hinge is fine.

If I look straight down at the hinge bolts as I open the door the top hinge pin does not wobble at all however the bottom hinge pin seems to wobble a bit off axis (see video)

please let me know if the video does not work so I can attempt to fix it.

Thanks.
__________________

__________________
Luxus Panzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 07:57 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Donna D.'s Avatar
 
Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Posts: 24,425
Direct link: https://flic.kr/p/YzsAr1
__________________

__________________
Donna D.
Ten Forward - 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Double Yolk - 1988 16' Scamp Deluxe
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 09:49 AM   #3
Member
 
Name: Z
Trailer: Scamp
Quebec
Posts: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Thank you Donna.
__________________
Luxus Panzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 11:33 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Name: Lee
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Posts: 234
Registry
Is the hinge part that is bolted to the body have slop in it when you put the new bolt in it? If so you may have to replace it or have a machinist put a sleeve in it. Keep it oiled too when you get it fixed.
__________________
Lee
Captleemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 11:40 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Civilguy's Avatar
 
Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Posts: 634
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luxus Panzer View Post
https://flic.kr/p/YzsAr1

Hopefully the above link works, it is to a video of the problem.

I have installed brand new stainless steel hinge pin kits so I do not believe the pins are the issue.

The bottom hinge has some play in it..could the seat the brass ball sits in be worn? Top hinge is fine.

If I look straight down at the hinge bolts as I open the door the top hinge pin does not wobble at all however the bottom hinge pin seems to wobble a bit off axis (see video)

please let me know if the video does not work so I can attempt to fix it.

Thanks.
Z,

Having the video is very helpful. I'm not sure if my observations will be as I don't have any experience with these hinges.

It appears that the top of the lower hinge is held too far upwards by the upper hinge assembly. This makes the lower bolt and spring assembly ineffective in compressing the two halves of the hinge around the brass ball. That makes the ball ineffective in centering the lower hinge as it is not tightly compressed.

I don't know if the attachments to the door and trailer allow any vertical adjustment.

Can or did you replace the brass balls? Can they be flipped or exchanged top-to-bottom? This might change the vertical relation between the two hinges.

Also, be prepared for posts about frozen monkeys now.
__________________
- "Character is what you do when nobodyís looking." -
Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 01:22 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Name: Jim
Trailer: Scamp
Illinois
Posts: 107
Hinge pin

Could you not add washers to the bottom , as to close the spring more so? Also , it may just need a new spring .
__________________
Jimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 01:42 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Name: Lee
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Posts: 234
Registry
Here's a YouTube video of a guy replacing his hinges.
__________________
Lee
Captleemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 01:46 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Name: Lee
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Posts: 234
Registry
Heres another video too.
__________________
Lee
Captleemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 02:04 PM   #9
Member
 
Name: Z
Trailer: Scamp
Quebec
Posts: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luxus Panzer View Post

I have installed brand new stainless steel hinge pin kits so I do not believe the pins are the issue.
These kits contained brand new springs, brass balls , bolts and nylon washers. To answer people's questions about if the balls/springs are new
__________________
Luxus Panzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 06:49 AM   #10
Member
 
Name: Z
Trailer: Scamp
Quebec
Posts: 50
I will attempt to snug up the hinges a bit more this weekend when I get home (away for work).

However, the hinges are currently installed as per the install instructions for the new SS pin kit I purchased.

I will report back.
__________________
Luxus Panzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 09:34 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Name: Lee
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Posts: 234
Registry
Keep us informed on your success.
__________________
Lee
Captleemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 01:38 PM   #12
Member
 
Name: Z
Trailer: Scamp
Quebec
Posts: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimp View Post
Could you not add washers to the bottom , as to close the spring more so? Also , it may just need a new spring .
Not sure why I would need washers...I could just tighten the nylock nut more in order to compress the spring.

I will look at this on Sunday when I get home.
__________________
Luxus Panzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 01:22 PM   #13
Commercial Member
 
Ian G.'s Avatar
 
Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Posts: 1,299
Registry
The problem with your door hinges is that the entire weight of the door is being held by the upper hinge, the brass ball on the lower hinge is not even contacting the hinge leaf sockets. The door weight should be distributed equally on both hinges, to fix this adjust or move one (or both) of the leaves of the unweighted hinge so the brass ball is tight and taking some of the weight.
In your video I cannot tell the position of the lower hinges but I would say the body side lower hinge leaf needs to be moved up, this can be done by carefully slotting the mounting holes through the fibreglass so the hinge can be moved up.

Do not tighten the pivot bolt going through the brass ball too much, make sure the spaces between each spring winding equals the diameter of the wire, you should be able to push against the spring end of the bolt and the bolt should move us slightly. If too tight the higne will bind and the fibreglass where the hinge is mounted will crack
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 11:48 AM   #14
Member
 
Name: Z
Trailer: Scamp
Quebec
Posts: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian G. View Post
The problem with your door hinges is that the entire weight of the door is being held by the upper hinge, the brass ball on the lower hinge is not even contacting the hinge leaf sockets. The door weight should be distributed equally on both hinges, to fix this adjust or move one (or both) of the leaves of the unweighted hinge so the brass ball is tight and taking some of the weight.
In your video I cannot tell the position of the lower hinges but I would say the body side lower hinge leaf needs to be moved up, this can be done by carefully slotting the mounting holes through the fibreglass so the hinge can be moved up.

Do not tighten the pivot bolt going through the brass ball too much, make sure the spaces between each spring winding equals the diameter of the wire, you should be able to push against the spring end of the bolt and the bolt should move us slightly. If too tight the higne will bind and the fibreglass where the hinge is mounted will crack
Thank you for the detailed reply.

I will have a look at this this weekend.

Question, if I need to slot and move the hinge "up" a bit to take some weight, does this mean it has always been like this since the factory?

Thanks.
__________________

__________________
Luxus Panzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Boler door hinge repair kit and fridge access door John Jesse Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 5 05-27-2011 01:32 PM
Door hinge/molding RicK M Classified Archives 0 10-07-2006 11:25 PM
outside door hinge ss bushing rebuild jim munson Care and Feeding of Molded Fiberglass Trailers 7 09-03-2006 06:43 PM
Door hinge Spacers Legacy Posts Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 0 07-11-2003 08:45 PM
Replacement door hinge Legacy Posts Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 7 05-27-2003 05:22 PM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.