Door hinge issues. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-22-2017, 06:25 AM   #1

Name: Z
Trailer: Scamp
Quebec
Door hinge issues.

https://flic.kr/p/YzsAr1

Hopefully the above link works, it is to a video of the problem.

I have installed brand new stainless steel hinge pin kits so I do not believe the pins are the issue.

The bottom hinge has some play in it..could the seat the brass ball sits in be worn? Top hinge is fine.

If I look straight down at the hinge bolts as I open the door the top hinge pin does not wobble at all however the bottom hinge pin seems to wobble a bit off axis (see video)

please let me know if the video does not work so I can attempt to fix it.

Thanks.
Luxus Panzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 06:57 AM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Direct link: https://flic.kr/p/YzsAr1
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 08:49 AM   #3

Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Thank you Donna.
Old 10-22-2017, 10:33 AM   #4

Name: Lee
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Registry
Is the hinge part that is bolted to the body have slop in it when you put the new bolt in it? If so you may have to replace it or have a machinist put a sleeve in it. Keep it oiled too when you get it fixed.
Old 10-22-2017, 10:40 AM   #5

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luxus Panzer View Post
https://flic.kr/p/YzsAr1

Hopefully the above link works, it is to a video of the problem.

I have installed brand new stainless steel hinge pin kits so I do not believe the pins are the issue.

The bottom hinge has some play in it..could the seat the brass ball sits in be worn? Top hinge is fine.

If I look straight down at the hinge bolts as I open the door the top hinge pin does not wobble at all however the bottom hinge pin seems to wobble a bit off axis (see video)

please let me know if the video does not work so I can attempt to fix it.

Thanks.
Z,

Having the video is very helpful. I'm not sure if my observations will be as I don't have any experience with these hinges.

It appears that the top of the lower hinge is held too far upwards by the upper hinge assembly. This makes the lower bolt and spring assembly ineffective in compressing the two halves of the hinge around the brass ball. That makes the ball ineffective in centering the lower hinge as it is not tightly compressed.

I don't know if the attachments to the door and trailer allow any vertical adjustment.

Can or did you replace the brass balls? Can they be flipped or exchanged top-to-bottom? This might change the vertical relation between the two hinges.

Also, be prepared for posts about frozen monkeys now.

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 12:22 PM   #6

Name: Jim
Illinois
Hinge pin

Could you not add washers to the bottom , as to close the spring more so? Also , it may just need a new spring .
Jimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 12:42 PM   #7

Texas
Registry
Here's a YouTube video of a guy replacing his hinges.. On your video it looks like you have a pretty good gap between that brass balls and the hinges. Could it just be a matter of snugging up the bolts a little more?
Old 10-22-2017, 12:46 PM   #8

Texas
Registry
Heres another video too.
Old 10-22-2017, 01:04 PM   #9

Quebec
Quote:

These kits contained brand new springs, brass balls , bolts and nylon washers. To answer people's questions about if the balls/springs are new
Old 10-24-2017, 05:49 AM   #10

Quebec
I will attempt to snug up the hinges a bit more this weekend when I get home (away for work).

However, the hinges are currently installed as per the install instructions for the new SS pin kit I purchased.

I will report back.
Old 10-24-2017, 08:34 AM   #11

Texas
Registry
Keep us informed on your success.
Old 10-25-2017, 12:38 PM   #12

Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimp View Post
Could you not add washers to the bottom , as to close the spring more so? Also , it may just need a new spring .
Not sure why I would need washers...I could just tighten the nylock nut more in order to compress the spring.

I will look at this on Sunday when I get home.
Old 11-01-2017, 12:22 PM   #13
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
The problem with your door hinges is that the entire weight of the door is being held by the upper hinge, the brass ball on the lower hinge is not even contacting the hinge leaf sockets. The door weight should be distributed equally on both hinges, to fix this adjust or move one (or both) of the leaves of the unweighted hinge so the brass ball is tight and taking some of the weight.
In your video I cannot tell the position of the lower hinges but I would say the body side lower hinge leaf needs to be moved up, this can be done by carefully slotting the mounting holes through the fibreglass so the hinge can be moved up.

Do not tighten the pivot bolt going through the brass ball too much, make sure the spaces between each spring winding equals the diameter of the wire, you should be able to push against the spring end of the bolt and the bolt should move us slightly. If too tight the higne will bind and the fibreglass where the hinge is mounted will crack
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 10:48 AM   #14

Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian G. View Post
The problem with your door hinges is that the entire weight of the door is being held by the upper hinge, the brass ball on the lower hinge is not even contacting the hinge leaf sockets. The door weight should be distributed equally on both hinges, to fix this adjust or move one (or both) of the leaves of the unweighted hinge so the brass ball is tight and taking some of the weight.
In your video I cannot tell the position of the lower hinges but I would say the body side lower hinge leaf needs to be moved up, this can be done by carefully slotting the mounting holes through the fibreglass so the hinge can be moved up.

Do not tighten the pivot bolt going through the brass ball too much, make sure the spaces between each spring winding equals the diameter of the wire, you should be able to push against the spring end of the bolt and the bolt should move us slightly. If too tight the higne will bind and the fibreglass where the hinge is mounted will crack
Thank you for the detailed reply.

I will have a look at this this weekend.

Question, if I need to slot and move the hinge "up" a bit to take some weight, does this mean it has always been like this since the factory?

Thanks.
Old 11-02-2017, 01:23 PM   #15
Commercial Member

Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Thank you for the detailed reply.

I will have a look at this this weekend.

Question, if I need to slot and move the hinge "up" a bit to take some weight, does this mean it has always been like this since the factory?

Thanks.
No I am sure from the factory they were correct. The holes through the fibreglass for the 1/4" hinge bolts should be larger than 1/4" (5/16" to 11/32") this allows for some room for hinge adjustment. Over time the hinges slip and move, the body will also sag which causes some misalignment. Post some pictures of your entire door closed in the opening and pictures of the hinges showing the door gaps and I can probably provide a better recommendation on the adjustment needed.
Old 11-02-2017, 03:50 PM   #16

Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian G. View Post
No I am sure from the factory they were correct. The holes through the fibreglass for the 1/4" hinge bolts should be larger than 1/4" (5/16" to 11/32") this allows for some room for hinge adjustment. Over time the hinges slip and move, the body will also sag which causes some misalignment. Post some pictures of your entire door closed in the opening and pictures of the hinges showing the door gaps and I can probably provide a better recommendation on the adjustment needed.

Thanks so much for the help. I will get you some good pics this weekend when I get home. I also have a new door seal from Scamp that I want to install, however, I want to get the door pin alignment taken care of first.

Hopefully I can just slide the hinge up/down in the stock elongated holes and do not have to drill
Old 11-03-2017, 06:08 AM   #17

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Looking at your video it appears to me the door part of the lower hinge is slanted upward.
Like what Ian says just on the other part of the hinge.
The lower hinge with the ball assembly is supposed to support the weight of the door and it's not.
A good still picture straight on of the lower hinge would help.

Joe
Joe Romas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 07:24 PM   #18

Quebec
As promised here are some pics.

I got home kind of late and the daylight was fading so I had to use flash. If better pictures are needed please ask and I can take some tomorrow.

There is a generic foam seal visible in some pics...this is just a temporary seal (seen in first pic of top hinge).

The bottom of the door does not make a 100% seal, I will take some better pics of this tomorrow.

Bottom
2017-11-03_06-30-04 by Z R, on Flickr

2017-11-03_06-29-34 by Z R, on Flickr

Bottom of door

2017-11-03_06-28-19 by Z R, on Flickr

Top left

2017-11-03_06-27-47 by Z R, on Flickr

2017-11-03_06-27-02 by Z R, on Flickr

Top right

2017-11-03_06-27-33 by Z R,

Whole door

2017-11-03_06-26-45 by Z R, on Flickr
Old 11-03-2017, 07:40 PM   #19
Commercial Member

Alberta
Registry
I assume the hinge pictures are in order, The top hinge first then the bottom hing.

The door fit in the opening is good, to maintain that alignment you would want to adjust the lower hinge to take some of the weight BUT, the door leaf on the upper hinge is angled down towards the pivot, loosening the upper door leaf and aligning it so the pivot arm is straight will lower the load to the lower hinge but also lower the door in the opening slightly. .

I would start by adjusting the upper hinge as described above, check the fit and function. Just remember after adjusting open the door slightly and wiggle the door, ther should not be any obvious play in either hinge.
Old 11-03-2017, 09:23 PM   #20

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Ian

The first picture has "BOTTOM" above it
I agree totally with what you say except it's the bottom hinge that needs adjusted.

There are also stress cracks around the mounting holes in the fiberglass and the part on the body is canted at an angle and is not aligned with the opening like the top, second picture, hinge is.

Joe
Joe Romas is offline   Reply With Quote