Door Latch - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-21-2003, 07:29 AM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Door Latch

Our new 1983 Burro has a broken door latch. To get inside, you need to undo the padlock, lift up the window and then reach inside to turn the door latch. For some reason only the outside of the latch doesn't work. The latch is approx. 6-7 inches wide and a couple of inches high. Does anyone have any recommendations on a good place to get a door latch? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jim G.

P.S. I live in a small town in the middle of nowhere. My town's population is close to 60-70. Nearest "big city" is over an hour away, so my resources are somewhat limited, though a Menard's and Home Depot is within a 3 hour drive.

Legacy Posts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2003, 07:39 PM   #2

Lock

If it's the same as the 81' Burro and it sounds like it is , it's a Bargman Lock. I think there around $75.00 new.
BARGMAN L-400 TRAVEL TRAILER LOCK
Product Code: 31-8204 At Dyersonline.com

If you surf around you might find it cheaper. I thought I saw one cheaper before but can't remember where.

Old 04-21-2003, 08:48 PM   #3

Lock

Have you taken the lock off and looked inside? I once had a van with a similar kind of problem (would open from the inside but not the outside). I took the van to a locksmith, he opened the lock up, shot a little WD40 in it and it worked fine after that. :)

Old 04-21-2003, 09:49 PM   #4

door latch

Last Fall I replaced the door latch on my 1983 Burro. Ordered it on the web from Keystone rv in Pensylvania. The cost was $68.31 plus shipping. The make and model was a Bargman L-400. It fits right and works '' just ducky!''.

Mine was worn such that it worked as a door latch from both the inside and the outside but would not lock when the inside actuator was set or when the outside key was in the locked position. It was very easy to replace, loosen a couple of inside screws and remove the old lock. The new one fit like a glove.