Door Latch - Lock Seized - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-06-2006, 10:16 PM   #1

Trailer: 1970 Boler
Anyone know where I can buy a new one (in BC) for my '70 Boler ?

Mine works great but I have never had the key for the lock. I had a locksmith over today and he says my lock is seized so I need a new one
Kurt in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 10:39 PM   #2
Con

Trailer: 1977 Boler 1300
I picked up a brand new Bargmen L-400 travel trailer lock from Celeste's RV Center a couple of years ago.
Their phone number is 250-962-2049; Fax 250-962-2044 talk to George.
however the price was $97.95 so I don't know if you want to spend that much.
I do still have the old original Lyster 20-213 lock set with a set of keys. The only problem is you can lock it from the outside but not from the inside as the little lever you push down is broken off. If you are a real handy type guy you might be able to fabricate a piece for it.
I just didn't want to spend the time on it as we were getting ready for a trip.
If you want it it's yours. I can send it by greyhound COD shipping charges, I think approx. $8
Con is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 09:37 AM   #3

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
If the desired lock is the Bargman L-400 (apparently not every boler uses the same one...) then it's going to be tough: they're out of production, and it seems that most retailers' stock ran out a while ago. When they were in stock (or at least in the catalog), the suppliers I checked all wanted over $100, except the place where I found one (the last one they had) for about $80.

These locks (latches) are very simple, so it's hard to see how it could be seized and not repairable. Anyone interested in the internal details and repair of this design might want to check the Door Lock topic, and/or search for "L-400" in this forum.

In another forum, the issue of Bargman/Lyster interchangeability came up, and apparently at least one version of the Lyster is identical to the Bargman L-400 except that the Lyster is shorter, and thus needs a shorter opening in the door. That would be one detail to check before changing...
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 09:56 AM   #4
Con

Trailer: 1977 Boler 1300
Good point Brian, I had to make the hole in the door skin slightly bigger to get the Bargeman in. Like you I believe most things can be repaired.
Con is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 11:14 AM   #5

Trailer: 74 13 ft Boler and 79 17 ft Boler
I believe that Kurt doesn`t have the Bargman style lock, but the lever outside handle, something like a garage door handle, and which only requires a hole about 5/8" thru the door....same as mine.....didn`t say which part was seized....could be the tumbler and possibly be freed up with a good penetrant/lube, or the mechanism in the interior part of the lock which may be able to have the end pryed open, and may possibly have a broken piece of spring or something jamming the lock, possibly in the area of where the interior locking pin would be inserted.....running out of breath again......Benny
Benny K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 05:27 PM   #6

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
I believe that Kurt doesn`t have the Bargman style lock, but the lever outside handle, something like a garage door handle, and which only requires a hole about 5/8" thru the door....same as mine....
I believe that you're right, Benny ; I checked out Kurt's web site again, and there is a photo of the curb side showing what looks like a protruding lever handle, rather than the rectangular recessed design of the Bargman L-400 or Lyster.

By the way, in case I didn't say earlier, nice job, Kurt!
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 10:43 PM   #7

Trailer: 1970 Boler
thanks for the suggestions everyone. Yes mine is similar to those used on some garage doors. At least from the outside.

Not sure the brand I will have to look in the day light. Perhaps thats another change on the early models?

I have not yet spoke to the locksmith again, he simply said it had to be replaced.

I'll let you know and perhaps take a closer pic.
Kurt in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 11:12 AM   #8

Trailer: 2000 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe ('Millenium Eggloo')
Having done a little bit of locksmithing to earn a living, I have worked on more than a few automotive and trailer locks. It is not unusual for locks made of pot metal to corrorde and seize when they are not used for long periods of time. Some can be rescued by good long baths in various solutions, but many are toast once the serious corrosion sets in. As many of the pieces are stamped together it is usually not possible to fully dissassemble them for cleaning. The most common early point of corrosion is the key cylinder itself because there are 2 or 3 different metals in that area(brass, pot metal and sometimes steel)

Do yourself a favour, lightly lubricate and exercise your door lock (including the key cylinder) 2 or 3 times a year.
Charlie C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 07:42 AM   #9

Trailer: Boler 1300 Deluxe
Quote:
Anyone know where I can buy a new one (in BC) for my '70 Boler ?

Mine works great but I have never had the key for the lock. I had a locksmith over today and he says my lock is seized so I need a new one
i realize this post is VERY old...i do have a brand new one (l400) if you still looking - we were going to install it in ours but we decided to stick with the "door knob" look
have a good day

Quote:
If the desired lock is the Bargman L-400 (apparently not every boler uses the same one...) then it's going to be tough: they're out of production, and it seems that most retailers' stock ran out a while ago. When they were in stock (or at least in the catalog), the suppliers I checked all wanted over $100, except the place where I found one (the last one they had) for about $80.

These locks (latches) are very simple, so it's hard to see how it could be seized and not repairable. Anyone interested in the internal details and repair of this design might want to check the [b]Door Lock topic, and/or search for "L-400" in this forum.

In another forum, the issue of Bargman/Lyster interchangeability came up, and apparently at least one version of the Lyster is identical to the Bargman L-400 except that the Lyster is shorter, and thus needs a shorter opening in the door. That would be one detail to check before changing...
Hi Brian - If you DO hear of someone still looking for one i have a brand new one that came with my "new" 1978 Boler but we decided to keep the door "knob" look...i have the original receipt that came with it also.
cheers
Steve D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 12:29 PM   #10

Trailer: Boler
Quote:
i realize this post is VERY old...i do have a brand new one (l400) if you still looking - we were going to install it in ours but we decided to stick with the "door knob" look
have a good day

Hi Brian - If you DO hear of someone still looking for one i have a brand new one that came with my "new" 1978 Boler but we decided to keep the door "knob" look...i have the original receipt that came with it also.
cheers
I've been trying to locate a replacement door latch for my 1978 Boler - the inside handle is broken and I don't have any keys. It's a Bargman L-400 latch. If i could get a replacement handle I could probably get some keys made for the lock cylinder but my Boler spent a lot of time near the Jersey shore so the latch mechanism is showing some signs of corrosion.

If you still have your "spare" I'd be interested.

Jack Walter
Jack Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 07:16 PM   #11

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
Why, oh WHY have I missed this thread??
I have a buddy with a 17' Boler lookin for a new latch assembly, am I to late???
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote