Door Latch mystery - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-07-2013, 06:47 PM   #1

Name: Tom
Trailer: scamp
Michigan
Door Latch mystery

Here I go with another rookie problem...

My old Scamp came to me with the door latch and handle not on the door. I have bought new parts from Scamp, but that's where I'm confused. Only the square hole for the actual turning shaft lines up with the latch- I had expected that the bolts that hold the handle on the outside would go through the inside latch too...
So- does the outside mechanism just bolt to the door on its own, and the interior latch screw into the door separately? What does the inside latch screw into? Just fiberglass? Would some kind soul please take a photo of the inside of their door, in the latch area? And if you have words of wisdom involving the installation, please tell me. Thanks. TK
ThomKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 07:20 PM   #2

Trailer: none
Minnesota
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomKat View Post
So- does the outside mechanism just bolt to the door on its own, and the interior latch screw into the door separately? What does the inside latch screw into? Just fiberglass? TK
Yup thats how it goes together, there is a kind of wood? press board? core to these doors so screws do go into something
Hambone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 07:22 PM   #3

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
I'm no help on this one, my UHaul door latch is completely different. But hang tight, I'm sure someone with a lot of know-how will help you out!!

Just noticed that you're in Clarkston! I'm over in Fenton, along with a couple of other FG'rs in this same area.
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 08:45 PM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Tom gave the right description for the Scamp. Two separate pieces that are only connected by the shaft. Fortunately it works well that way, at least mine has never come out of the door and into my hand.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 10:38 PM   #5

Michigan
Arghhhh! I am frustrated- If the outside bolts came through the inside latch, it would make for a much better, solid installation.

Well, what about those bolts? Do they just sit there on the inside of the door? Fancy acorn nuts on them? Obviously, they will show...
I still hope somebody will post a picture of the finished product. My door has holes all over, from years of "fixes" and adjustments...
Old 10-07-2013, 10:41 PM   #6

Michigan
Small world! We'll have to hold a rally in Davisburg or somewhere...
Old 10-08-2013, 04:56 PM   #7

Trailer: none
Minnesota
Registry
No bolts, nuts on mine.......on inside three screws on top and three on bottom
Hambone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 05:35 PM   #8

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Pictures

Here's three pictures of mine.
There's a gray piece of material between the latch system and door shown in the third picture.

I haven't had the outside off so I can really tell you what the screws are. I'm assuming that they're sheet metal screws (non-tapered screws) that go through the fiberglass into the filler material.

The 6 screws on the inside of the door are the same type of screw going through the spacer into the filler material. I have replaced the inside part.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN2569.jpg   DSCN2570.jpg  

DSCN2571.jpg  
Old 10-08-2013, 06:07 PM   #9

Michigan
Byron- thanks a lot for the pictures; they are exactly what I wanted. That's the first time I have seen that assembled.

Now I'm wondering what the gray material is- is it soft like a gasket?
Old 10-08-2013, 07:13 PM   #10

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Tom it would help if you posted or changed your Member info to show what year your Scamp is. Byron has posted the latch which is the same as the one on my 92 and the grey stuff you see is what we call Rat Fur you will not find that on the walls of an older Scamp.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 07:33 PM   #11

Michigan
Hi Carol-

My Scamp is a 1976, with probably several past owners, and with most things on it, it's hard to tell what is original and what is changed. As I said, I hadn't seen any of the parts assembled before, and I wasn't even aware of the gray piece in between the door and the inside latch. I'm not talking about the rat fur; I mean the piece behind the latch, which is probably some sort of spacer...
Old 10-08-2013, 08:20 PM   #12

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Tom, sorry I miss understood your question. Yes its a spacer on mine its made out of wood.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 08:40 PM   #13

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomKat View Post
Byron- thanks a lot for the pictures; they are exactly what I wanted. That's the first time I have seen that assembled.

Now I'm wondering what the gray material is- is it soft like a gasket?
It's like hard fiberboard.

Tags
scamp