door leak - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-08-2014, 10:49 AM   #15

Name: Darral
Trailer: Scamp Standard 13' 2010
Tennessee
I just called Scamp and talked with Micah Eveland (Kent's son). He said they had the D seal but it's 1/2" x 1/2" now. Mine was 1/2 x 3/4 (preferred). FWIW, I couldnt locate ANY 1/2 x 3/4 D-shaped rubber seal by searching on the web! (Amazon and Ebay produced pretty much the same results)

He said theirs shipped was 16' lg and apx $16. (+ shp of course). So, use this as a reference point. I do remember mine being apx 15' long. I had some left over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
IF, and I do mean IF, someone can find this some place other than Scamp, how many FEET should someone order?

And IF, someone does find it... please let everyone know WHERE and how much you paid. THANKS!

Old 10-08-2014, 01:13 PM   #16

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darral T. View Post
David,

Dont take "NO" for an answer from Scamp. You tell them you want the "D" seal and have them send it to you. I ran into the same thing as they use "open cell" sponge to "seal???" the door.

I did as well when I phoned to order it. Was told they do not recommend it as they were having problems with the adhesive on it and that it did not stay in place. Told them I would take my chances.

The funny part is that I have had the D seal on for well over a year and no movement at all - it looks great. Had replaced the stuff scamp like to use almost yearly due to how easily it tears and the amount of movement - even though I had spent hours each time cleaning up the fiberglass before putting the new stuff on to get a good bond.

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 01:20 PM   #17

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
IF, and I do mean IF, someone can find this some place other than Scamp, how many FEET should someone order?

16' will be enough to do around the door. Might have a foot or so left over but better to have more than not enough.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 01:22 PM   #18

Name: Darral
Trailer: Scamp Standard 13' 2010
Tennessee
[QUOTE=Carol H;486417].... Was told they do not recommend it as they were having problems with the adhesive on it and that it did not stay in place. Told them I would take my chances.

Good for you Carol!! Although, that's why I prefer the 3/4" wide-- naturally, you get an extra 1/4" width to help hold the seal for the entire perimeter.

BUT--- the ONLY place I've ever have give me trouble staying on is at the bottom right hand side of the door. As I mentioned in another post, use a little light lubricant when it's new and it works FINE. And another thing, think about it; the door stays shut for the most part (at night etc.) and there's no way really for the seal to come off. I remember doing my seal, made sure the door was shut good and didnt open it for several days. Also, I think applying it in warmer weather gives a better chance for it sticking long term and helps the seal "form" or "seat" to the door. Just my opinion though.
Old 10-08-2014, 06:51 PM   #19

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
What parts (Devon) told me is that"they haven't quite found anything yet that works real good with their curved door." But after applying D, this is a whole lot better than foam!

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 10-08-2014, 10:51 PM   #20

Name: Dave & Paula Brown
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
This is what I used. This type of thread has been posted many times, and places that people have been able to purchase. I did this modification long ago and don't remember a lot of particulars, but do remember that leakage was a thing of the past. This rubber seal was used both around the door opening as well as around the door.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC01295.jpg   DSC01261.jpg  

DSC01168.jpg   DSC01254.jpg