Door Lock - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2006, 01:36 PM   #1

Trailer: 1978 Boler 17 ft
My lock has bit the dust. Any ideas of changing from a Boler lock and modifying the system. Or advise also where these replacement locks are vailable.

Thanks

Errol
Errol Holbrooke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 05:29 PM   #2

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
If your Boler has the rectangular recessed Bargman L-400 like mine, then I have bad news: this item is out of production. I found one new at Murphy's in Leduc, but that was months ago, and at the time every other supplier which checked no longer had them. Team Trillium Trailer Manufacturing in Calgary might be a possiblity, since they told me they did a lot of Boler repair work.

Name:   badoorlock400.gif
Views: 425
Size:  25.7 KB

If the only problem is the lock mechanism (i.e. the latch works, but the lock lever or key cylinder doesn't), then repair may be possible. Errol, can you confirm the type of lock, and if it is an L-400, describe the problem?
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 07:28 PM   #3

Trailer: 74 13 ft Boler and 79 17 ft Boler
What make/type of a lock does Scamp use? Is it not a Bargman type? Would be available from Scamp.....Benny
Benny K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 08:14 PM   #4

Trailer: 17 ft 1986 Burro
My Burro has this lock and I saw it at alocal RV place in the clearance bin for 15 bucks and I passed on it!!!!!!!
Someone kick me!
pjanits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 12:04 AM   #5

Trailer: 1978 Boler 17 ft
Quote:
If your Boler has the rectangular recessed Bargman L-400 like mine, then I have bad news: this item is out of production. I found one new at Murphy's in Leduc, but that was months ago, and at the time every other supplier which checked no longer had them. Team Trillium Trailer Manufacturing in Calgary might be a possiblity, since they told me they did a lot of Boler repair work.

Attachment 3202

If the only problem is the lock mechanism (i.e. the latch works, but the lock lever or key cylinder doesn't), then repair may be possible. Errol, can you confirm the type of lock, and if it is an L-400, describe the problem?
Hello Brian, The part number is 10-40-010 and it is a Bargman. The privacy or inside lock device does not work, therfore, the door can be opened easily from outside. I checked with a local locksmith but he wasn't too keen on repairing it. I will have to check around some more. Thanks for the tip, I will give the Calgary Team Trillium a call on monday.
Errol Holbrooke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 12:26 AM   #6

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Odd your locksmith wasn't interested. When mine needed a new key, he made one from the lock and serviced it to like new. My privacy thing was iffy too.

It cost a whole ten bucks,
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 05:52 AM   #7

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Quote:
My Burro has this lock and I saw it at alocal RV place in the clearance bin for 15 bucks and I passed on it!!!!!!!
Someone kick me!
Ok, Pete... you asked for it!

Name:   kicking_smiley.gif
Views: 298
Size:  5.3 KB

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 06:19 AM   #8

Trailer: 2000 19 ft (formerly 17 ft) Casita Freedom Deluxe ('Nuestra Casita') / 2000 4WD V8 Tundra
Send a message via Yahoo to Kurt & Ann K.
Sorry I can't be of assistance with the lock problem , but kudos , Roger on the appropriate "smilie"
Kurt & Ann K.
Kurt & Ann K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 06:27 AM   #9

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
What make/type of a lock does Scamp use? Is it not a Bargman type? Would be available from Scamp.....Benny
Scamp uses a much simpler lock and handle...the locking mechanism is in the handle. Very similar to the garage door handle/lock I have on my home. (crappy design and function in my opinion )
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 06:53 AM   #10

Trailer: 2007 Casita Liberty Deluxe 17 ft / Honda Odyssey
Quote:
Scamp uses a much simpler lock and handle...the locking mechanism is in the handle. Very similar to the garage door handle/lock I have on my home. (crappy design and function in my opinion )
Mega dittos on that! Hence my solution:
Attached Thumbnails
DeadBolt1.jpg  
Patrick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 06:55 AM   #11

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Quote:

Perhaps... BUT... they're still available...

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 02:00 PM   #12

Trailer: 74 13 ft Boler and 79 17 ft Boler
In the photos that I saw, it looked like a rectangular Bargman....by the way ,my 13' Boler has the crappy lock with the lever on the outside and it works...... when I got it , I took it apart and replaced a spring in it with a piece of some flat spring that I had kicking around here and, "Voila", works like new.....my 17' has the Bargman and I hope it never breaks.....Benny
Benny K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 05:10 PM   #13

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
Patrick,

I did the same lock addition on my Scamp. I was actually able to get it keyed the same as the house, so no need to keep track of another key.
Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 05:23 PM   #14

Quote:
Hello Brian, The part number is 10-40-010 and it is a Bargman. The privacy or inside lock device does not work, therfore, the door can be opened easily from outside...
In this design, the inside lever moves up to a position in which it blocks the latch mechanism. The key cylinder just moves that same lever, and holds it in the locked position.

In my Boler, the lock lever could not be moved reliably either by key or directly, interfering with even normal operation of the latch, so I took it apart. I found that the part of the casting on which the lever pivots was broken off. Since that casting is the main body of the lock, replacement of some small part could not fix it. I devised a method to rebuild the pivot, but found the whole thing new before proceeding with the repair. In the interim, I just left out the lock lever and it worked normally, albeit without any way to lock it.

I took mine apart to see what was going on. This was frustrating at first because of one [b]hidden fastener. There are two obvious screws on the inside which pull the inside plate towards the main body (which includes the parts visible on the outside); there are two more screws holding a plate around the bolt. The last fastener is a circlip (a.k.a. e-clip), around the end of the shaft for the inside handle, visible on the outside if you hold open the handle - pop that sucker off and the whole thing comes apart, with the inside handle still attached to the inside plate.

Errol, if you are interested in fixing this, and my description here is not clear or you want more details on my proposed pivot repair, PM or e-mail me and we can get together, since we are roughly the same area. I still have my (broken) original lock, and can bring it along for comparison.
Old 06-12-2006, 10:53 AM   #15

Trailer: 17 ft 1986 Burro
Well my Bargman l-400 broke yesterday on the way home.

Just for the heck of it I called the place where I had seen the lock in the clearance bin.

IT WAS STILL THERE!!!!

Its' coming UPS!

I think I may buy a Lottery ticket on the way home tonight.....

I have a feeling there are a few more out there somewhere.
pjanits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 11:02 AM   #16

Trailer: Love Bug 1974
Can someone take a picture of the piece that is attached to the trailer, please?
I have the Scamp lock and no key. I also have a piece on the trailer that looks like a mod. If it isn't, I may order a new Scamp lock.

It would be so nice to get rid of the ugly latch someone put on the exterior of my camper! Besides, someone could lock me inside!!!

Cheers!
Gigi
Gigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 11:03 AM   #17

Trailer: Love Bug 1974
Quote:
Well my Bargman l-400 broke yesterday on the way home.

Just for the heck of it I called the place where I had seen the lock in the clearance bin.

IT WAS STILL THERE!!!!

Its' coming UPS!

I think I may buy a Lottery ticket on the way home tonight.....
I have a feeling there are a few more out there somewhere.
Would you care to share your lotto ticket numbers?
It IS your lucky day!
Gigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 06:19 PM   #18

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
I took mine apart to see what was going on. This was frustrating at first because of one [b]hidden fastener. There are two obvious screws on the inside which pull the inside plate towards the main body (which includes the parts visible on the outside); there are two more screws holding a plate around the bolt. The last fastener is a circlip (a.k.a. e-clip), around the end of the shaft for the inside handle, visible on the outside if you hold open the handle - pop that sucker off and the whole thing comes apart, with the inside handle still attached to the inside plate.

I still have my (broken) original lock...
Brian,
Can you take some photo's and post them? I'm trying to figure out how to get mine off for a either a DIY fix or take to a locksmith to get a key cut.

The inside handle moves and will unlatch the door, the outside was locked and would not move. I drilled out the 2 rivets on the outside handle so the outside handle rotates with the plate and the latch now works. Now I'm just trying to get it apart to get at the tumbler. The key/tumbler mechanism is a standard filing cabinet unit. I've got a spare unit lying around that I could try if I could just get it apart without too much damage.
Roy
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 07:56 PM   #19

Quote:
Can you take some photo's and post them?...
Unfortunately, I have no useful photos of the lock, although I thought I took some while doing the replacement. I will have a camera available tomorrow, and post photos Wednesday; since I still have my old lock, I should be able to show the important bits.
Old 06-14-2006, 06:53 PM   #20

One tour of my Barman L-400 lock... and I'm making up part names as I go, since I don't know the "official" names.

First, removing the lock:
  1. First, from the outside, if the outside handle is pulled out there is a snap ring visible, on the end of a shaft - I had to remove it (the "lock detent spring pocket" is labeled in my photo, but does not matter at this point).
  2. In my B1700, there's a steel angle plate that is held to the lock with one Phillips-head machine screws. It came off with the screw removed.
  3. After that, there were two Phillips-head machine screws on the inside plate, which hold the inside plate to the main body, which is what you see from the outside. The inside plate pulled off complete with inside handle. I labeled the inside lock lever for description - it stayed with the main lock body.
  4. The main body was stuck to the outside surface with some sort of sealant (black material in photos), and just pulled out.
Click image for larger version

Name:	1_L400outside_notes.JPG
Views:	193
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	3481
[attachment=4407:attachm
ent]
Click image for larger version

Name:	4_L400removed_527x212_80.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	3484

I was left with a big rectangular hole, and I noticed that the inner door skin was cracked across the narrow band between the lock hole and the door edge.
Attached Thumbnails
2_L400inside_notes.JPG   3_L400inside2_535x330_90.jpg