door lock didn't work -turns out to be an easy fix - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-08-2013, 04:30 PM   #1

Name: Daryl and Wendy
Trailer: 1973 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
Registry
door lock didn't work -turns out to be an easy fix

On our last trip the key to lock the door wouldn't work. We could lock the door from the inside but were unable to lock it with the key from the outside. On removing the lock I now realize the inside black knob is threaded into the outside key part. The inside knob had 'screwed out' a turn or two. When the black knob was tightened; the outside key worked just fine.

It seems so simple in hindsight. Thought I'd mention it here for others.
Attached Images

Old 08-08-2013, 07:11 PM   #2

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
GREAT! And thanks for sharing the knowledge... it may very well help someone else. You're right an easy fix and certainly cheaper than buying a new lockset.

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 08:22 PM   #3

Name: bob
Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
That looks like a Bargman L300?? Another odd thing I found with some of them, when using the key to lock or unlock it, the inside lock would only work when the key lock was centered in its travel. That is, to lock it the key is turned counter clockwise, to unlock it the key is turned half a turn clockwise from the locked position, but to allow the inside lock to work the key has to be turned 1/4 turn from the locked or unlock position, or centered in its travel. Does this explanation make sense. Some other Uhaul owners with the L300 have had this situation.
Old 08-08-2013, 09:05 PM   #4

Name: Vanessa
Trailer: UHaul
California
Registry
You Betcha!

I had the exact same problem and figured it out after much darn tootin'.

Thanks for the reminder Bob. It seems that every third time I go out, I get in that same pickle and forget that I need to fiv the outside lock to the correct position with the key before locking the inside lock.

This Bargman Lock of mine is definitely showing her age. These locks seem to be pretty hard to find anymore.
luvrOlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 11:57 PM   #5

Name: Drew
Trailer: Trillium Outback - 2004
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl and Wendy View Post
On our last trip the key to lock the door wouldn't work. We could lock the door from the inside but were unable to lock it with the key from the outside. On removing the lock I now realize the inside black knob is threaded into the outside key part. The inside knob had 'screwed out' a turn or two. When the black knob was tightened; the outside key worked just fine.
I also had a similar problem with my lock. With the door locked and that knob loose, pulling the outside handle or turning the inside handle simply unlocked and opened the door. Once I tightened the knob the lock works as expected. Now I always make sure it's tight.