Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, Tacoma 4.0L 4door, SB
ex VT, now CO
Here is related link:
Scamp 19, play increasing in door handle

Old 08-23-2016, 04:16 PM   #16

Name: George
Trailer: 1997 16' Scamp
Michigan
We've pulled our 97 Scamp 15,000 miles or more without ever having the door come open. I have had trouble with the handle assembly loosening up. the lower 3 screws just wouldn't stay tight. i ended up drilling the lower outer handle hole all the way through and putting a lock-nut on it. That seems to have cured the problem. Good luck with solving the open door problem.

Old 08-23-2016, 05:12 PM   #17

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
I have never had my door come open while in transit. The throw to the strike plate is very sufficient providing it's closed tightly.

Someone said they would push on the handle to hear a click. Well, while my door will close and you can't pull it open, the throw usually is not to it's full extent. I always close the door, give it a hip check listen for the click and then I lock it. Like I said my door has never opened. I'm in my 16th year pulling my Little Marshmallow "Puff".
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 05:15 PM   #18

Name: Gordon
Trailer: Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy A View Post
I have never had my door come open while in transit. The throw to the strike plate is very sufficient providing it's closed tightly.

Someone said they woud push on the handle to hear a click. Well, while my door will close and you can't pull it open, the throw usually is not to it's full extent. I always close the door, give it a hip check listen for the click and then I lock it. Like I said my door has never opened. I'm in my 16th year pulling my Little Marshmallow "Puff".
Ditto.. Stand inside the trailer while someone else closes the door, then carefully observe the latch. Then have the outside person give it a firm push near the handle / latch. Do this about ten times. I'll bet you see that sometimes the latch does not fully extend until the door is pushed "all the way closed."
Old 08-23-2016, 06:25 PM   #19

Name: Tim
Trailer: boler
Ontario
Door popped open

Had this happen to me I installed a lock hasp. Like the one you'd put in a shed only it has the built in lock. The door will never come open again while driving. It's also added security when I'm away from it. I do lock the lock mechanism so you can't fold the hasp over and lock me in.
Old 08-24-2016, 06:47 AM   #20

Name: Emily
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16 Layout 7
Colorado
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
Ditto.. Stand inside the trailer while someone else closes the door, then carefully observe the latch. Then have the outside person give it a firm push near the handle / latch. Do this about ten times. I'll bet you see that sometimes the latch does not fully extend until the door is pushed "all the way closed."
I think this may have been what happened, due to the new door seal being too thick in that area and not allowing for full extension, then hitting a bump popped it open.

We traveled about 3500 miles with our Scamp last year and about 2000 already this year and this was the first time the door has opened while in transit. I definitely think it is a combination of the seal being too thick and the strike plate needing to be extended a smidge! Thank you all!

Paul O.- I think when I was first looking for solutions, the links you posted are the first thing I came across and fully intended to implement if I couldn't figure out why the door opened and if I can't get it to stop opening! Thanks for posting those here, too!
Old 08-24-2016, 07:18 AM   #21

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, Tacoma 4.0L 4door, SB
ex VT, now CO
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimmit View Post
Had this happen to me I installed a lock hasp. Like the one you'd put in a shed only it has the built in lock. The door will never come open again while driving. It's also added security when I'm away from it. I do lock the lock mechanism so you can't fold the hasp over and lock me in.
I contemplated the same solution, but then wanted something that would provide constant pressure on the door seal. I was afraid that the hinges might be stressed if the door had any residual play and moved a bit while driving on a rough road.

Also, I replaced the door seal with the better D-section (not the latest from Scamp) and while doing it, I had to build up several areas with a double sided foam tape, since the shape did not match perfectly.

From previous experience I found that any exposed adhesive on such tapes collects dirt and debris and looks awful in no time. I applied baby (talcum) powder to all exposed adhesive and now it remains as clean as the cleanest baby's bottom.
Old 08-24-2016, 08:56 AM   #22

Name: Jim
Trailer: Compact Junior
Saskatchewan
Wink Door security

Quote:
Originally Posted by emij View Post
We were finally able to get the Scamp out camping again last weekend. Our last trip was about a month ago and one of the door hinges broke during that trip. I replaced them and made sure that everything was lined up properly for the door latch and for opening and closing.

Door Hinge Bolt Sheared Off

On the way home this past weekend, we were about six blocks from the house when someone pulled up next to us yelling and motioning that the door was open

We stopped, I hopped out, and sure enough, it was open. I KNOW that it was latched tight when we left the campground because I pulled on it twice to make sure (I worry about this exact scenario!)

We did hit a really rough spot in the road so maybe that's what caused it to open? When I purchased the new hinges, I also purchased a new handle and lock set because sometimes it is REALLY hard to latch closed from the inside. I obviously haven't replaced it yet, but after doing some reading, I've discovered that many people actually switch out to a different RV type latch and lock. I really like the look of the original hardware, so I guess my question is this:

Was this a one-off situation due to flex from hitting the rough spot in the road? Does anyone think changing the handle and lock set to a new Scamp set will do the trick or should I switch to a different style all together?

After we got home, I tried and tried to get the latch to pop and open and couldn't get it to do so while locked, but I really don't want to worry about the door opening again while in transit.
I am not sure this is helpful but .....after fears of back door popping open on my Hunter Compact Junior, I installed a retro-looking dead bolt on the door and frame. When engaged, I have no fear of an accidental opening and it serves to provide security when in campsite.