Door Step - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-13-2003, 05:24 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Door Step

The step going down from the door of my 1996 Scamp is very narrow, and almost underneath the trailer. Very difficult to step on unless you step sideways. :o At first I thought maybe it extended, but there doesn't seem to be anything movable on it. The square steel things that it's attached to, however, are hollow, as if perhaps some kind of an extender would slide into them. Does anyone know if anyone makes such a thing? Michele

Legacy Posts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2003, 09:09 PM   #2

trailer step

I too had a trailer step added to my Scamp, yes it doesn't stickout
as far as I would like, but since I'm not to young and my knees don't
work great I go down the step sideways so it doesn't cause me any
problems. you are not alone in thinking it could have been mounted sticking out more.
Larry

Old 06-17-2003, 06:44 AM   #3

door step

I am still wondering if it would be possible to make an extension thing, like, say, to make the step 4-5" wider, supported on steel things that could slide right into the hollow ones supporting the step...... I'm not sure who I'd go to do do something like this..... ?? Michele

Old 06-17-2003, 07:01 AM   #4

Michele, I know I've seen such a thing in some camping/RV supply catalog in the past. When you posted this the other day, I went googling for it, but came up with nothing. Of course, the Camping World website doesn't include every product in their catalog (and I'm guessing that's also true of the others), or perhaps these critters didn't really work so they're no longer on the market? (Or they worked, but didn't sell well, because most steps are wider than yours/don't need the extension?)

Of course, I'm sure you know, there are several options available if you'd be satisfied with an additional, free-standing step.

Good luck with it. If you do find a source, be sure and report back. (You might try ordering the Camping World master catalog, if they have such a thing.)

:sunny

Old 06-17-2003, 07:33 AM   #5

door step

Thanks Mary--I intend to check out all these sources. Or was just thinking a local welder could make something for me. I'm concerned about safety--i.e.: my elderly mother trying to step sideways on that step.... on the other hand, a plastic stepstool might actually be lighter weight.... will have to do some checking and comparing.... michele

Old 06-17-2003, 07:44 AM   #6

For me at least, it is easy getting in and out of my Casita. OTOH, my wife and MIL have problems and I have thought about adding a step. But the way the trailer is designed, do we want another piece of equipment to worry about for clearance beside the tongue wheel in the front and the stabalizer jacks in the rear?

I found a small stepstool (actually, my wife did) in one of those catalogs that we get in the mail all the time. Think it was like 8 dollars and it works great for getting in and out of the trailer. If you'd like, I could try to take a picture of it or get more info.

Also, I see Camping World has a small, plastic step that folds up that they are selling for 9 dollars. Both mine and this one fold away easily and give you what you are looking for.

http://www.campingworld.com Click on steps and it is there.

Old 06-17-2003, 08:08 AM   #7

Michele, Do be careful with a plastic step stool. It's very easy to misstep onto one of those if it's not broad enough, especially when you're coming down out of the trailer. (Also possible when stepping up, but easier to recover because you're weight's still mostly on the foot that's still on the ground. When you step down, your weight shifts to the lower foot, and if it's not secure, bamm-o, you're on the ground!)

Most of the entry steps you'll find in the RV stores are heavy and with a broad base, for stability. We looked into this a few years ago, before my mom had knee surgery. The one we got works great, but it is a significant piece of equipment.

A good friend of mine built a nice platform step out of lumber, for a trailer that has no step at all. It's not very tall (maybe 5''), and I'm guessing was dimensioned to store snugly into the walkway of the trailer for travel. One reason I liked it so much was you could design it to fit your needs exactly (height, width, depth). And it wasn't any heavier than the metal one we got for my mom...

:sunny

Old 06-18-2003, 01:21 PM   #8

I made one of those, like Mary mentioned. used 1x4 cedar boards, three high. light. keeps me out of the water, and it's large enough you feel secure. and does fit right in the walkway when on the road, and you can step on it without hurting anything if you run inside when it's in travel mode. making the step large where it always sticks out or gets left out by mistake when it pulls out can be a hazard. rocks grow legs and jump right up in the way and hit it. :yep. not a pretty site. Had that happen with another RV I had.

Old 06-19-2003, 05:02 AM   #9

Step Into My Castle

Our Scamp 5th Wheel has a 3" rise, and there is no step under the door. It can be quite a climb from ground level. Additionally, I am too short to reach the center of my Pickup bed when hooking up.

I built a box out of 2x10 that is 12" wide, 18" long and 9.25 (width of nominal 10" board) with a "bottom" on it. Makes a great step into the trailer, is heavy enough to stay put, can carry stuff if I turn it over, and can be used on any side as a stool. We usually use the 9" rise for the trailer and I use the 12" rise to reach the hitch when it is on the truck.

Just another potential solution.

I am thinking of making another box out of lighter wood (probably 1x10) that has a hinged lid. Would be a good place to store the EZ-levelers and the wheel chocks when not in use. I would put the hinge so that it is placed under the lip of the trailer when using it for a step so you didn't step on the hinges.

Dave,
SOI 469

Old 05-01-2007, 10:27 AM   #10

Name: Myron
Trailer: Escape
New Mexico
Registry
Just made this stool-step for getting into my trailer. The step itself is 22 inches wide and 16 inches deep. It stands just 7 1/2 inches high, roughly the height of a standard stair step.

The top is plywood 3/4 inch thick. It is hinged, rugged, and opens to reveal a toolbox. This does make the whole thing heavier than I'd like but the practical storage space is, well, practical. I realized too late if I had made the thing 2 inches wider my 4 -lug tire wrench and theft-prevener tire rim clamp thingo could fit inside it.

That's stick-on linoleum tiles (88 cents each) on the step surface. Couldn't resist painting it happy colors.
Attached Thumbnails
toolstep1.jpg   toolstep2.jpg  

MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 11:20 AM   #11

Trailer: 2005 Scamp 13 ft
Registry
Send a message via MSN to Kristen Beck Send a message via Yahoo to Kristen Beck
Quote:
Just made this stool-step for getting into my trailer. The step itself is 22 inches wide and 16 inches deep. It stands just 7 1/2 inches high, roughly the height of a standard stair step.

The top is plywood 3/4 inch thick. It is hinged, rugged, and opens to reveal a toolbox. This does make the whole thing heavier than I'd like but the practical storage space is, well, practical. I realized too late if I had made the thing 2 inches wider my 4 -lug tire wrench and theft-prevener tire rim clamp thingo could fit inside it.

That's stick-on linoleum tiles (88 cents each) on the step surface. Couldn't resist painting it happy colors.

Hi Myron,
Love the step! Are you selling them? That is the one thing I wish my scamp had was a step. Call me crazy but at 2am when nature calls it's like a 50 foot drop off! If you are selling them please post a price. Thanks and it is adorable!

Kristen Beck
Medford Oregon
Kristen Beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 10:56 PM   #12

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
Quote:
The top is plywood 3/4 inch thick. It is hinged, rugged, and opens to reveal a toolbox.
I may have to copy your idea, Myron. A setup box/doorway step would solve two problems!

--Peter
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 04:19 PM   #13

Trailer: 1994 20 ft Bigfoot 5th Wheel / Toyota Tacoma SR5
I had the same problem....I took a peice of oak 3/4" thick, 8" wide and a little over a foot long,

I held it under the existing step and drew it's outline along one edge, so that when I cut it out it would snug right up against the step. I rounded the opposite outside edge, drilled two holes through it's width, and put in a couple of stainless lag bolts to hold it to the step. I drilled two holes in the edge of the step and bolted it together. Then I covered this with a step cover material I purchased at Camping World.

It turned out to be just what you wanted...a step extension that brought it out about 5".

Paul
jrnutpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 10:34 PM   #14

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
I had a local shop build me an open ended step (box) made of polished aluminum checker plate. Its square in shape about 16in X 16in and about 6 inches deep. When not used as a step (inverted so open end is down) it is used to tote my levelling jacks, wheel chocks, battery powered hammer drill (better to work jacks with) and a few other items used in set up. I had them cut two carrying handles (one on either side) to make it easier to tote around. Its a little spendie, but will last forever and looks super. The grid of the plate makes it more skit proof too.
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote