Door stop for Trillium - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-16-2017, 08:35 AM   #1

Name: Michael
Trailer: In the market
Illinois
Door stop for Trillium

I love my Trillium 1300. I still think Trillium is one of the better built small campers. The only weakness I have found is in the door and hinges. That to me is the weakest part of this camper. When I rebuilt the 79 camper, I redid the hinges and actually drilled through to the inside of camper and attached a metal plate. This works very well. NOW....the question is, what options do I have for a door stop? The door does not go all the way back to camper, but stops on hinges.
donksax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 09:36 AM   #2

Name: Claire
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500
British Columbia
Registry
Having the same problem. We did the same thing -drilled through and put in a plate, now the door is tight on the hinges. To me something in binding, but cannot figure out what or where.
Old 04-16-2017, 10:13 AM   #3

Trailer: 78 Trillium 13 ft / 2003 F150
Door Step and Hinges

Hi,

I have the same hinge problem on my 1300 and am thinking
of applying a similar solution.

Regarding the lack of a step... a simple box built from 2x4 and
plywood fills the bill. I tried one of those metal step quadrapod
things but it was too tall. I find the approx 4" step to be ideal
even though the height of the floor is about 13" off the ground...
With a higher step it was too easy to bump my head.... (6'0" tall).
The box is about 18" square.

Larry H
Larry C Hanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 02:10 PM   #4

Name: Barb
Trailer: Trillium Outback 2004
British Columbia
Registry
Door Stop or Step?

No problems with the hinges on my 2004 Trillium Outback, but was curious to see what folks had come up with for a door stop.

I bought a plastic doohickey with the arm with the ball on the end that slides into the receiver. But, I really hesitate to drill any more holes in the trailer.

In the meantime, a large sponge for protection and a bungee cord hold it open. Not pretty and not always that functional or easy to store the bits.

Anyone have any other solutions?

Hey Claire - just received my tow mirrors like yours! Now I just have to get the trailer functional. Barb
Old 04-19-2017, 12:47 PM   #5

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Lightbulb Trillium Door Stop

I installed a door stop on both my previous 1300 and my current 4500. Bought a 6" plastic stop in cream, placed it directly under the 1" overhang from the top center level and just above the front running light, horizontally, with a 3/4" cream painted block underneath it. The tricky part was aligning the bulb end of the arm and receiver at the appropriate place on the door, but after much opening/closing and eyeballing, happened to be just above the molded-in logo. Blue-taped it into place to hold until ready to permanently attach.

Then I drilled the four holes through the outside of the trailer (into the storage - it was about 5" below any seating and ensolite) and used a 3"x5" plate to disburse any pressure from pulling, then used stainless steel bolts and self-locking nuts to secure, butyl tape between all layers.

On the door, I didn't want to drill all the way through both sides of the door and didn't figure any sort of screw would hold up, so I had to use -- horror -- silicone! -- to attach the little 2"x3" holdback, again, blue-taping in place for a day until it set up. (BTW, this is the ONLY silicone on my trailer -- I'm a Lexapro girl where needed, but it doesn't have the "sticking" power of silicone.) It has held up for a couple years, not really noticeable as it folds and clips back underneath the overhang while travelling.

I'm sorry I can't attach a picture -- the trailer is about 25 miles north of me, but will do so when I get there this weekend.
Colleen C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 01:12 PM   #6

Name: Barb
Trailer: Trillium Outback 2004
British Columbia
Registry
Thanks a lot for your reply/idea, Colleen. I'll have to check out how that might work on mine, when I get it out from under its cover! Planning ahead.
Barb

Tags
trillium