Door support bar in Boler? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-05-2014, 11:48 PM   #1

Trailer: Boler 1977
Registry
Door support bar in Boler?

Inside the door to the left is a metal bar that is riveted to the wall. Mine is horribly rusty and not cleanable. Can this bar be removed and not replaced? It does not seem to support anything. I can't figure out why it is there.

Also, if anyone in the Seattle area is handy with trailers and would not mind helping out with re-riveting a Boler belly band, replacing a side window and a few other things things beyond my skill level, let me know! Thanks much!

Jamieb
jlbails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 07:45 PM   #2

Name: Tina
Trailer: 1973 13' Boler
Florida
Registry
I don't know what it is either but my 73 has the same bar
Redhdgrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 08:24 PM   #3

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlbails View Post
Can this bar be removed and not replaced?
Not recommended. The bar supports the body on the hinge side of the door. Look up door sag and body bulge here on the site.

The only way I might consider removing it, would be to do the screen door mod and extend the wood up high enough (above the door / to the roof) and down low enough(to the floor) to replace the missing bar.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 08:44 PM   #4

Name: Tina
Trailer: 1973 13' Boler
Florida
Registry
That makes perfect sense now. Would it be wise to avoid attaching to it if I make a screen door?
Redhdgrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 03:47 AM   #5

Registry
Thank you! I guess finding a good substitute for the metal bar is the way to go.
Old 05-09-2014, 07:42 AM   #6

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Tina,
There are subtle differences between the various bolers. Therefore how one does the screen door mod may be different. If you can tie the bar into the wooden upright for the screen door it would make everything stronger. Think angle iron.

Jamie,
You could remove the bar, clean it up, paint it and re install. If everything is solid, I'd consider painting it without removal. Slide some playing cards between the ensolite and the bar and spray bomb it.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 10:02 AM   #7

Name: Chris
Trailer: Boler
Alberta
I used the bar in mine to make a wood support that did the same thing. I also used the wood support to make a bunk bed mount, bunk rail mount and screen mount.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...d-57935-3.html

Everything in my project was above my skill leveluntil I did it, read these forums and look at youtube, and it is all doable.
Nelmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 09:35 AM   #8

Registry
Hi Roy

I took your advice and scrapped the rust off with a brush, steel wool and sand paper to get to as smooth as possible, then took a can of silver spray paint that I already had and gave it two coats. Looks pretty good and ready to reinstall. After talking to a metal fabricator, and thinking about how expensive it might be to fabricate this part exactly, I took the much cheaper route. Thanks for your assistance!

Now, if only I could get the door to realign correctly. Looks like the lower bolt needs to be shimmed to lift it properly to widen the gap on the right. Suggestions?

Jamie

Tags
boler