Door window covering for privacy? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-15-2018, 12:58 PM   #1

Name: Brett
Trailer: 1982 Scamp 13'
Oregon
Door window covering for privacy?

Hi there,

We're almost done renovating our '82 Scamp 13' and we're using it for the first time this Friday and realized we don't have curtains/blinds/a shade for the door on the window. As you all know, this window is very small. What did other people use to cover this window? For both sleeping, and getting changed inside, it seems like there must be a common solution that we haven't thought of yet!

Thanks all!
Branklins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 01:18 PM   #2

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
If its a window with a clamp ring then it would be a good candidate for a black out / privacy curtain using the snap rails like I did for my back window. You could even attach rails to both top and bottom and add the snaps to the curtains at top and bottom also.

I think the OEM scamp way is to screw the cheesy curtain rod holders into the wood reinforcement in the door. Screws have to be the right length to not go through to the outside. Thats the way I did mine a few years ago but if I had to do it again I would do it like I did my rear window.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 01:22 PM   #3

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
I installed one of those shade-the-baby-in-the-car roller shades over the window in my Trillium door. It's a perfect fit and it's the kind of material that provides total privacy from outside view but can still be seen through from the inside. I also like it because I got it at a thrift store for a buck lol, they're a bit more new of course. This pic is from one sold at Target for ten bucks
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 01:49 PM   #4

Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
I installed one of those shade-the-baby-in-the-car roller shades over the window in my Trillium door. It's a perfect fit and it's the kind of material that provides total privacy from outside view but can still be seen through from the inside. I also like it because I got it at a thrift store for a buck lol, they're a bit more new of course.
The problem there is someone can see inside if the lights are on in the trailer and it is dark outside. Ask me how I know!
Alex Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 01:53 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Couldn't you just stand with your back to the window?
And, what happens if somebody sees you anyway?
Old 10-15-2018, 01:58 PM   #6

Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
Glenn, if anyone wants to come up to my trailer, look through that tiny window and see my naked rear they are more than welcome to. I'm sure they won't ever be able to remove that memory!

The incident I was referring to was back in my car-camping days when I was changing in the car at night. I mentioned it since the OP seemed to be indicating it was an issue for them.
Alex Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 02:10 PM   #7

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Adams View Post
The problem there is someone can see inside if the lights are on in the trailer and it is dark outside. Ask me how I know!
Really? Too funny. I've had that thing up for years and had no idea, I'm going out there tonight and taking a look. I just don't see how it can be true, one would think there'd have been applause from any lucky onlookers
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 03:22 PM   #8

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
I sure do appreciate how the door window on the Escape is of a corrogated privacy glass much like many bathroom windows, AND there's a heavy full length curtain inside the door you can draw across it...
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 03:44 PM   #9

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
And, what happens if somebody sees you anyway?
There are many reasons one might want privacy. Modesty and martial relations are two that come to mind quickly, but there is one another one I discovered...

Many (maybe most) of the campgrounds that I go to do not allow alcoholic beverages. Yet, this rule is not enforced if consumption is done privately and quietly - they don't look to see if your'e in possession when you check in. The rule does not seem to slow down the use of alcoholic beverages but it does seem to keep those few "rowdy drunks" either away or quiet, which is likely the main reason the rule exists at all. This photo is of the recycle bin at one of those alcohol-free campgrounds, and yes - most of the cans are beer cans.

Now while no one comes looking for violators, if a violation is observed one risks expulsion, or even criminal charges in some cases. So a little privacy curtain can allow those who like a quiet night cap the opportunity to partake in peace.

I await the replies.
Attached Thumbnails
RecycleBin.jpg  
Old 10-15-2018, 03:59 PM   #10

Name: Brett
Trailer: 1982 Scamp 13'
Oregon
I came up with something! I think we're going to go this route, using snaps since the curtain will only be up when we need it, then it isn't blocking light the rest of the time.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/General-...1267/204764017

https://sailrite.files.wordpress.com...tain-panel.jpg

We'll see how it goes!

My buddy and I set up a subreddit on Reddit where I've been posting my progress pictures, if anyone wants to see! https://www.reddit.com/r/scamping
Branklins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 06:10 PM   #11

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Reflectix (silver bubble wrap) insulation can be cut to size and just held in place with friction. This worked great this summer while we were in Alaska during the midnight sun. I particularly used this on our door window because the very rough roads in Alaska kept knocking our roll shade off it’s hardware, and it always ended up unrolled on the floor.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 08:36 PM   #12

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I donno, I grew up with "IF you've never seen it before, you don't know what it is. If you've seen it before, you've probably seen better."
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 08:51 PM   #13

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Branklins View Post
I came up with something! I think we're going to go this route, using snaps since the curtain will only be up when we need it, then it isn't blocking light the rest of the time.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/General-...1267/204764017

https://sailrite.files.wordpress.com...tain-panel.jpg

We'll see how it goes!

My buddy and I set up a subreddit on Reddit where I've been posting my progress pictures, if anyone wants to see! https://www.reddit.com/r/scamping
I was thinking of a similar approach using magnets. Actually saw it in a video I watched earlier.
Dave Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 12:25 AM   #14

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
I simply don't worry about it. We generally parked without a lot of people around. Since mine is 13' there's a closet between the door and the bed. The only time we're really undressed is when we're by the bed. I guess I don't see the problem.
Old 10-16-2018, 04:13 AM   #15

Trailer: Boler 13 ft / Casita FD
I got this spray can that has this frosted paint stuff inside made for glass for my Casita. It worked great. It needed 2 coats to get the frosted look I was looking for. Got it at Home Depot. Also can be removed with razor if you don't like it.
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 05:30 AM   #16

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry View Post
I got this spray can that has this frosted paint stuff inside made for glass for my Casita. It worked great. It needed 2 coats to get the frosted look I was looking for. Got it at Home Depot. Also can be removed with razor if you don't like it.
The films from d-c-fix, sold on Amazon, also work well to provide privacy. I used it on the sink sink side window and two windows at home, and after two years its still perfect. They also could be removed is you changed your mind. They have many patterns under different listings but this is the one I bought:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007B9PQ5W
Old 10-16-2018, 07:15 AM   #17

Name: Cliff
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I donno, I grew up with "IF you've never seen it before, you don't know what it is. If you've seen it before, you've probably seen better."

[emoji848] yah think [emoji23]
Cliff Hotchkiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 07:38 AM   #18

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
In the words of the old Polish philosopher JFK
“ If they haven’t seen it before they won’t know what it is and if they have then what difference does it make “
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 10:11 AM   #19

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
I sewed up a curtain with a blackout panel included and tacked Velcro pads on the corners and stick on Velcro pads to match on the door.
I made a second one to cover the bathroom window as well since it seems that everywhere we park there is a light that shines into the trailer.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 10:40 AM   #20

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
As for not needing a window cover, what about using the porta-potti? And, yes, you can see through some things at night when it's lighted inside.

With the Amerigo's inner panelling, we use ordinary cheap curtain rods and I made roll-down 2-layer fleece panels that stay up with velcro and stay down with magnets. I know most 1-ply fiberglass trailers don't have the same option.
Attached Thumbnails
Peanut 10 2015 to 6 2016 055.JPG