DOT recalls hazardous cylinders manufactured by The Lite Cylinder Company - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Closed Thread

Old 06-09-2013, 07:40 AM   #15

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Wow what a bummer...glad Im poor and didnt spend the money on one yet. I was planning on switching over to 1 30lb fiber/composite tank...now I wanna see what they come out with as the findings. There is another manuf out there...wonder if the same thing will happen to them?

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
Old 06-09-2013, 09:13 AM   #16

Name: Derek
Trailer: 1973 boler 13', Earlton On
Ontario
Registry
Deryk, it looks like the center seam was the weak-point in these tanks. If somebody has come up with a different process, the tank may be OK.

What is it that attracted people to these tanks in the first place?

Was it the lighter weight and rust?

Derek

Old 06-09-2013, 09:17 AM   #17

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamourpets View Post
What is it that attracted people to these tanks in the first place?

Was it the lighter weight and rust?

Derek
All that plus the ability to VIEW how much propane was left in the tank.
Old 06-09-2013, 09:26 AM   #18

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Lower tare weight. Visual cue to amt. propane remaining. The latter advantage was oversold IMO. I couldn't see the level of contents except in bright sunlight or by rocking the tank to make the meniscus apparent.

jack
Old 06-09-2013, 11:42 AM   #19

Name: Derek
Trailer: 1973 boler 13', Earlton On
Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit View Post
Lower tare weight. Visual cue to amt. propane remaining. The latter advantage was oversold IMO. I couldn't see the level of contents except in bright sunlight or by rocking the tank to make the meniscus apparent.

jack
Its interesting nobody has come up with a metal tank with a "window" in the side. I've seen stick-on gauges for metal tanks, but nothing more sophisticated than this.
Old 06-09-2013, 02:08 PM   #20

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Not only are they facing a recall of previously manufactured cylendars, but they arent allowed to make new ones either. Although this doesn't necessarily mean bankrupcy, it does take away Lite Cylinder's income stream. Any money that remains at this point will probably be eaten up by the legal system.
as some of the links suggests that the report includes a number of serious incidents involving people using the product you can be sure that pretty well every last cent & more of what the company has will go to legal fees..... sadly thats what happens when people are hurt or killed.
Old 06-09-2013, 02:15 PM   #21

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Its interesting nobody has come up with a metal tank with a "window" in the side. I've seen stick-on gauges for metal tanks, but nothing more sophisticated than this.
I have used for a number of years now a propane gauge I picked up at Costco that works pretty well. Its not perfect but find its pretty good at giving me enough warning that I need to get a refilled before I run out. As it on top of the tank its pretty hard to miss each time your shut the tank on or off for travel or storage. The ones that stick to the side of the tanks are a pain to try and read if you have any kind of tank cover.
Old 06-09-2013, 02:18 PM   #22

Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
I was intrigued by these, but I'm now glad that I wasn't tricked into buying one. I told you camping was dangerous!
Old 06-09-2013, 02:28 PM   #23

Name: jen
Trailer: 1980 13 ft. burro
Pennsylvania
Registry
eff the eff, I just filled mine.
Old 06-09-2013, 02:44 PM   #24

Name: Mike
Trailer: 1986 Bigfoot FT20
Michigan
Me too! And I'm going to use them till its gone.
Old 06-09-2013, 02:46 PM   #25

Name: Bigbear
Trailer: Bigfoot b17std
Alberta
I have two. They came with my new trailer. I'm very unhappy about this because the tanks were the only thing not breaking down on my 2012 evergreen element trailer. I miss my 1986 Bigfoot . It never let me down.
Old 06-09-2013, 03:49 PM   #26

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tptmaster View Post
I miss my 1986 Bigfoot . It never let me down.
You should have come here before you sold it, especially since you bought a stick built fiberglass trailer. We would have at least, tried to talk you out of it
Old 06-09-2013, 04:52 PM   #27

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
I really liked the idea of being able to see how much propane is in the tank. I tried one of those gauges and it wasnt very accurate one day it showed it was half full the next day tank was empty. I did buy a hand scale that gives an idea of how much is left in the tank. Im sure my one full and one at 3/4's is good for the summer but when the cold weather hits I dont want to be surprised by it getting cold all of the sudden inside lol.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
Old 06-09-2013, 05:42 PM   #28

Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by deryk View Post
.......... I tried one of those gauges and it wasnt very accurate one day it showed it was half full the next day tank was empty. ......
Yea, those gauges only measure vapor pressure which is essentially constant (except for temperature changes) until just before the tank runs out. Silly design.